IGNORED

Article: Hegel Music Systems HD30 DAC Review

I have a Hegel HD30 since December 2015 and never had any problems streaming 24/192 files (BubbleUPnP application for Android). Also, this DAC supports DSD128 on the USB input (the switch on the back on B position, Windows 10 drivers from Hegel site, Jriver, ASIO output). When playing DSD64 the display says "DSD" and when playing DSD128 the display says "d. 2."

I have a Hegel HD30 since December 2015 and never had any problems streaming 24/192 files (BubbleUPnP application for Android). Also, this DAC supports DSD128 on the USB input (the switch on the back on B position, Windows 10 drivers from Hegel site, Jriver, ASIO output). When playing DSD64 the display says "DSD" and when playing DSD128 the display says "d. 2."

Hi Lucus - What firmware are you using on the HD30?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Very strange that the Hegel HD30 brochure or the manual states nothing about its supported resolutions.

The manual states on page 14: Inputs Up to 24bit 192kHz

Based on its quoted frequency response the SRC resamples the incoming signal to around 100kHz, so supporting samples rates over 192kHz would be superfluous, not to mention detrimental to SQ according to the AK4137EQ SRC datasheet.

OK. Same firmware as I am using.

What apps have you been successful with playing DSD128 and on what operating systems?

I am using Windows 10 and Jriver 21.0.23

First of all make sure that the little switch near the USB input is in position B. Position A is for driver-less operation in Windows and I think DSD is not working in this position. I have installed the Windows 10 drivers from Hegel website

http://www.hegel.com/images/drivers/HD12H360driverswindows10.zip

In Jriver options, at Audio Device I selected the "ASIO for USB device" option. At "Device settings" do NOT select the "DSD bitstream DoP format".

At Bitstreaming select DSD.

When playing a DSD128 file HD30 will display "d.2"

I am using Windows 10 and Jriver 21.0.23

First of all make sure that the little switch near the USB input is in position B. Position A is for driver-less operation in Windows and I think DSD is not working in this position. I have installed the Windows 10 drivers from Hegel website

http://www.hegel.com/images/drivers/HD12H360driverswindows10.zip

In Jriver options, at Audio Device I selected the "ASIO for USB device" option. At "Device settings" do NOT select the "DSD bitstream DoP format".

At Bitstreaming select DSD.

When playing a DSD128 file HD30 will display "d.2"

Hi Lucus - Excellent. I was able to reproduce your results and successfully play DSD64 & DSD128. I will update the review.

Thanks for following up.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

The manual states on page 14: Inputs Up to 24bit 192kHz

Based on its quoted frequency response the SRC resamples the incoming signal to around 100kHz, so supporting samples rates over 192kHz would be superfluous, not to mention detrimental to SQ according to the AK4137EQ SRC datasheet.

Sunya, you're exactly right.

Hi-Fi News reviewed this DAC last year.

The measurements showed this DAC down-samples all its inputs to just above 96 kHz (including DSD128). So, this is not a High Resolution DAC, in fact, due to its down-sampling it literally throws away bits of resolution.

The published measurement did show a low noise floor, and no, it wasn't 150 db's.

They did like the sound and got a favorably review. But this is why in my opinion, reviews without measurements are only half the story. Measurements are truly indispensable if you want to be sure of what you're buying.

-ST

So, this is not a High Resolution DAC, in fact, due to its down-sampling it literally throws away bits of resolution.

Not really the case, downsampling actually lowers the distortion and noise of the SRC, so I think it's just a design optimization, I'm sure Hegel knows what is doing.

The sample rate limits only the available frequency response, not the dynamic range of the DAC, as it doesn't throw away any bits. You can downsample 24/192 to 24/48 and still have a 24 bit signal.

Sunya, you're exactly right.

Hi-Fi News reviewed this DAC last year.

The measurements showed this DAC down-samples all its inputs to just above 96 kHz (including DSD128). So, this is not a High Resolution DAC, in fact, due to its down-sampling it literally throws away bits of resolution.

The published measurement did show a low noise floor, and no, it wasn't 150 db's.

They did like the sound and got a favorably review. But this is why in my opinion, reviews without measurements are only half the story. Measurements are truly indispensable if you want to be sure of what you're buying.

-ST

Hi ST - You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I think your opinion drives consumers in the wrong direction and can even push manufacturers to design inferior products.

You say this isn't a high resolution DAC. What is your definition of high resolution? Mine is anything greater than 24/88.2.

You say this DAC throws away bits of resolution. The DAC does nothing with the bits while resampling the frequency.

Based on your comments it seems like you'd rather have a DAC with impeccable specifications and measurements than a DAC that sounds good. What if Hegel said this DAC sounds best when the frequency is resampled to just above 96 kHz? My guess is this is exactly what the company would say. Would you still argue that Hegel should not resample just because you don't like resampling?

Hegel designed this DAC to sound the best it could. That meant resampling everything. Hegel could have designed the component simply to suit those more interested in specs, but that would be so unsatisfying for almost everyone involved, including those of us who like good sound quality.

This is very strange phenomenon where people want certain things from a component, even if they have no idea what the outcome would be with that certain thing. For example, I remember when people expressed similar concerns about the AudioQuest DragonFly because it "only" supported up through 24/96. However, if people realized that the radiation pattern of the RF noise increases immensely when going to 24/192, they may have changed their minds. Yet, others still would rather have 24/192 support and worse sound than 24/96 support and better sound.

If I may ask, what is your experience designing DACs?

HiRes is >24/88.2, that seems a bit strict. Is DSD64 HiRes? Didn't Bob Stuart say that 24/48 is all we need, I believe that was the standard he proposed for DVD-A.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

This is the review will let you keep asking yourself is this dac better than this dac or not ?,or where is this dac stand for !!,you should at least compare it to your dac if you didn't have yggy,not real review in my book ,sorry.

This is the review will let you keep asking yourself is this dac better than this dac or not ?,or where is this dac stand for !!,you should at least compare it to your dac if you didn't have yggy,not real review in my book ,sorry.

I'm not sure how you can expect much more from purely subjective reviews... Not just here but in general.

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Chris - Have really enjoyed this review, and the YGGY and AO reviews!

I was wondering you (or anyone) has tried / had success connecting the BADA USB Converter to AO? (Thus allowing connection of the Hegel and YGGY docs to AO via the BADA.)

The world is but one country, and mankind its citizens.

Living Room: Caps2/JRiver 19/Fidelizer > Wireworld Platinum USB > Calyx DAC/KingRex PSU > Kimber Heroes > Bryston BP-26/4B-SST > Kimber 8TC > B&W 802D.

Den: CAPS3 Carbon/SOtM USB/JRiver 20/Fidelizer/Uptone JS-2 power supply>Totaldac USB > Off Ramp5/Dynamo PS/Short Block via I2S > PS Audio Silver HDMI > W4S Dac2DSDse/femto upgrade > Triode Wire Labs IC > Bryston B100-SST > Kimber 8VS > B&W SCMS. (Triode Wire Labs power cables).

Thanks, Chris! Reading more closely, your review said it, and I just missed it. Duh!

Randy

The world is but one country, and mankind its citizens.

Living Room: Caps2/JRiver 19/Fidelizer > Wireworld Platinum USB > Calyx DAC/KingRex PSU > Kimber Heroes > Bryston BP-26/4B-SST > Kimber 8TC > B&W 802D.

Den: CAPS3 Carbon/SOtM USB/JRiver 20/Fidelizer/Uptone JS-2 power supply>Totaldac USB > Off Ramp5/Dynamo PS/Short Block via I2S > PS Audio Silver HDMI > W4S Dac2DSDse/femto upgrade > Triode Wire Labs IC > Bryston B100-SST > Kimber 8VS > B&W SCMS. (Triode Wire Labs power cables).

• 2 weeks later...

Chris,

You are using the Direct input on the Constellation for the Hagel. I thought the Direct was reserved for Constellation preamps ONLY, and anything else needed to use the balanced input. Did Constellation tell you to try this, or am I mistaken? ( I have never tried the direct for that very reason except for when using the Constellation preamp, and even then, I liked the balanced input better)

thanks,

B

Chris,

You are using the Direct input on the Constellation for the Hagel. I thought the Direct was reserved for Constellation preamps ONLY, and anything else needed to use the balanced input. Did Constellation tell you to try this, or am I mistaken? ( I have never tried the direct for that very reason except for when using the Constellation preamp, and even then, I liked the balanced input better)

thanks,

B

The Direct input can be used by other components even thought it was built for Constellation gear.