IGNORED

[HOW-TO] Roon and RoonServer on Windows Server 2012 R2

AudioPhil

Thanks a lot for the feedback and thanks again for helping out to test the HQP/RoonServer Shell Replacement. This will be available for everyone via AO 2.20 Beta 2! :-)

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

Hi

Roon(Server) is not (yet) possible in Core. With Server 2012 R2 we had minimal-server mode as alternative. With Server 2016 minimal-server does not exist anymore. It's also

not yet sure of the official release of AO 2.20 will contain support for Windows Server 2016.

Best,

AudioPhil

Thanks again, Phil. If I am to understand correctly, the best sound possible with Roon at this time is with 2012R2 in minimal-server mode and not with Server 2016, is that correct?

You say that Roon is not possible in Core "yet". What are the current obstacles that prevent this from happening and do you anticipate that this capability will happen sooner or later?

It has been suggested that minimal-server mode is 95% of Core mode with regards to SQ, would you agree with this? If this is correct, would you say that the gap from minimal-server mode to GUI mode is similar?

Hello

Roon does not work in Core Mode. Roon itself has probably no intentions to make it work in Core Mode, so this is up to me. But i have many other priorities than that at the moment, so if i can make it work at all, it will need some time.

minimal-server mode is maybe even more than 95% of Core mode. The difference between minimal-server mode and GUI is rather day and night!

so for the time beeing 2012 R2 in Minimal-Server mode is the best sounding option.

best,

AudioPhil

____________________________________________________________________________________

@romaz, something to consider in case you havent is using Server R2 Essentials. Its a lot cheaper than regular Server R2. I have tried both and at least to my wooden ears I could not hear a difference. Perhaps @AudioPhil can chime in on his experience testing both.

Also, in Phil's awesome manual there are some instructions on how to extend your trial license so you wont have to pay for a while as you are evaluating.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Thank you @AudioPhil and @tboooe for your responses! I feel I have more clarity on the matter as I move forward. I will go with R2 Essentials as suggested. This will be installed on a Mac Mini via Bootcamp and so if there is something else I should know before my install, I would appreciate any helpful advice. I am looking forward to this "day and night" difference from my MacOS!

Hello

you will be thrilled, no worries! :-)

this will be of great help too -> https://pdf.highend-audiopc.com/audiophile-optimizer-setup-guide.pdf

Best,

AudioPhil

• 3 weeks later...

Hi JCR

I have nonpossibility to test MCH playback here but so far all works perfectly fine with Roon 1.3.

Best,

AudioPhil

Do you still need to go through the list mentioned in the OP when using AO 2.10 ?

I have said said 'Yes' when AO asked me if I want to use Roon, then had chosen 'Express' installation, but I'm still getting Required Audio Codecs Missing error upon Roon Core launch.

Wasn't AO 2.10 supposed to fix that ?

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

Hi Elberoth

Express Mode does not install Roon Support. Yes you need to follow the manual exactly step by step.

Best,

AudioPhil

Phil, I have a tough one here.

I have Windows 2012R2 Standard, which I've been using with your newest AO and JRMC 22. All good.

Now, I want to try Roon.

What a disaster.

My issue is with the Essentials Role. I haven't been able to install the media pack because, as you know, I first must install Essentials and configure it before media pack will install.

No problem with installing Essentials. My issue is with configuring Essentials, which is of course also a prerequisite to installing the media pack.

If I am logged into my server as administrator when I attempt to configure, I get the error message "An error occurred while configuring Windows Server Essentials." No amount of retrying or rebooting solves this.

Some sites have suggested that one cannot be the Administrator when running the configuration wizard. So, I set up a separate user account under my initials, JCR. Here, I get a different error message, to wit "An error happened when running the Windows Essential Configuration Wizard. Please check the event trace log for detail information."

There is no button in this situation available to retry -- only to close.

So, I'm losing both ways.

I have seen some sites that reference a workaround by adding a ServerAdmin$ policy to Default Domain Controllers Policy. That seems to be accessible only through Group Policy Management, which says I must log on to a computer with a domain user account. That doesn't work when I log in under JCR instead of as Administrator. I guess my JCR user isn't a "domain user account" or else something further has gone awry.

In other words, I am going deeper and deeper into a rabbit hole to just get the media pack installed.

What can I do here? I am not a network administrator and do not really understand what I am doing in Windows 2012R2. All I know is that this is supposed to be the preliminary, simple step and I can't get it to work.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. JCR

Hello JCR

please read the first post of this thread in detail. You don't need the essentials role and you don't need the mediapack either. All you need is AO and the first post of this thread.

Best,

AudioPhil

Phil -- I had been using AO / 2012R with JRMC22 in core mode. I know that only minimal works with Roon. I've made that selection in Service Tool and the server did something. But the home screen looks like the GUI, so I guess I don't know how to confirm I am in minimal mode. Is there a way to know that? Thanks. JCR

Hi

The command prompt in Core mode has a grey border while the one from minimal-server mode has a light blue border.

best,

AudioPhil

OK! I have the light blue border (which, of course, I assume is NOT the color of GUI mode, so that this does indeed confirm I am in minimal-server mode, yes?).

Separate question on Roon's background audio analysis. Not going well for me. See the attached post on Roon, where there is a question as to how AO handles the situation. Can you kindly comment, Phil? Thanks. JCRRoon Background Audio Analysis.jpg

Hi

Certainly always kind, but i sadly cannot do anything about internal issues of players. But i am sure the roon dev team will get it sorted out.

i have the same on my "non-optimized" standard win 10 setup in my office, it takes ages and on top of that it starts over from scratch again and again... :-(

Best,

AudioPhil

Separate question on Roon's background audio analysis. Not going well for me. See the attached post on Roon, where there is a question as to how AO handles the situation. Can you kindly comment, Phil? Thanks. JCR

On my i7-3770s setup with AO and Server 2012 R2 and my music located remotely on a NAS, Roon averages about 1000-1500 tracks per hour for analysis.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

• 3 weeks later...