IGNORED

[HOW-TO] Roon and RoonServer on Windows Server 2012 R2

AudioPhil

I finally had some time to get myself "into" Roon last night. Roon & Windows Server have somewhat worked in the past, but the overall experience to get it working was not very convenient. These steps were needed to get Roon or RoonServer working on Windows Server 2012 R2:

- Add the Windows Role "Essentials Experience" (which actually converts a standard edition into an essentials edition)

- Add the "Windows Server Essentials Media Pack"

So i used the last night to get rid of all this inconvenient steps, and yes it does even work in Minimal-Server Mode now. I focused my testings on RoonServer and these are the needed steps to get a Roon Core working on Windows Server 2012 R2 (no matter if GUI or minimal-server Mode):

- Install Windows Server 2012 R2 & all available updates

- Install AudiophileOptimizer 2.10

- Install your DAC Driver

- Install RoonServer

- Stay in GUI mode or switch to Minimal-Server Mode (Core Mode is not supported!)

- Run AudiophileOptimizer in advanced or ultimate mode

- Say yes to "Install Kernel-Streaming and MediaPlayer support"

- Say yes to "Add roon support"

- Say no to "disable network related services"

- Do not disable Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI)

Enjoy,

Phil

OPENGL WARNING: If your graphic card driver for Server 2012/2012 R2 offers no OpenGL support (and you get OpenGL Errors when you start Roon) there is nothing AO could do against it. AO cannot change or extend the functionality of a graphic card driver.

Consider using RoonServer instead of Roon or switch to Windows 10 if no OpenGL compatible graphic card driver is available for server 2012/2012 R2.

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

• 2 weeks later...

Phil - I'm using AO1.40 and would like to upgrade to AO2.0 latest beta. How do I do this? Do you have to send me an email link?

Thanks,

Jordan

Synology NAS -> Quadcore i7, 3.8GHz -> RoonServer -> HQPlayer (all up sampled to DSD128) -> Sonore urendu (Uptone JS2 PS) -> Lampizator Golden Gate DAC -> Valvet A4 Monoblocks -> Zu Audio Definitions Mk4

Phil - I'm using AO1.40 and would like to upgrade to AO2.0 latest beta. How do I do this? Do you have to send me an email link?

Thanks,

Jordan

Hi

like this: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f28-highend-audiopc-sponsored/audiophileoptimizer-windows-10-beta-thread-26229/#post476921

Best,

Phil

____________________________________________________________________________________

• 1 month later...

Phil,

Trying to understand your comment at the end of the instructions above "What you get is a System which automatically logs in, starts RoonServer, actually plays music and does not need to convert your windows server into an essentials edition nor to install the Media Essentials Pack". In the beginning you said to add the role "essentials experience" and add the media pack. Does AO remove these?

Phil,

Trying to understand your comment at the end of the instructions above "What you get is a System which automatically logs in, starts RoonServer, actually plays music and does not need to convert your windows server into an essentials edition nor to install the Media Essentials Pack". In the beginning you said to add the role "essentials experience" and add the media pack. Does AO remove these?

I think what Phil is saying is that prior to his work with AO 2.0 beta, you had run Win 12 Server Essentials and install the media pack in order to run Roon Server. However, with AO 2.0 beta, you no longer need either of these.

I think what Phil is saying is that prior to his work with AO 2.0 beta, you had run Win 12 Server Essentials and install the media pack in order to run Roon Server. However, with AO 2.0 beta, you no longer need either of these.

Exactly. Did enyone have the time to test MP3 or AAC files in that type of setup?

• 2 months later...

I have been following the Roon developments with interest, as I would like to move to that program and have been waiting to see how it would integrate with Audiophile Optimizer and Windows Server 2012 in core mode. The posts above answer some of my questions, but lead to others.

For example, it seems that the above are meant to be applied to either the full version of Roon or "Roon Server" running on the music server that is directly attached to the DAC. But what if I would like to run one of those programs on a dedicated server that is different from the Audio device/PC that runs WinSrvr and Audiophile Optimizer as I do now? It would seem like "Roon Bridge" would be ideal for that situation, but is Audiophile Optimizer in Core capable of running this and providing benefits for doing so?

The more open ended question for Phil is: for those of us who store music on a centralized NAS or Server with multiple networked renderers/devices that access those files, one of which may be an audio PC with WinSrvr 2012 and Audiophile Optimizer, what is the recommended configuration for Roon? It is my understanding that there can only be one Roon "core" which I presume to mean the device that is running Roon or Roon Server.

Thanks!

Ryan

It would seem like "Roon Bridge" would be ideal for that situation, but is Audiophile Optimizer in Core capable of running this and providing benefits for doing so?

Yes you can run RoonBridge in 2012r2 Core Mode. Will need Phil to have RoonBridge added as a Shell in AO.

The more open ended question for Phil is: for those of us who store music on a centralized NAS or Server with multiple networked renderers/devices that access those files, one of which may be an audio PC with WinSrvr 2012 and Audiophile Optimizer, what is the recommended configuration for Roon? It is my understanding that there can only be one Roon "core" which I presume to mean the device that is running Roon or Roon Server.

Roon's recommended components are: Roon Core, Roon Control (iPad, etc), Roon Output. https://roonlabs.com/howroonworks.html

But you can have just one box running Roon Core, control it either local or from a Remote device, and have your DAC connected to this device.

Roon does recommend a SSD for the library drive.

All my music resides on a QNAP NAS. But music can be local to the Roon Core computer.

I run Win10 AO2.0 as my Roon Core - this runs RoonServer and Process Lasso. This is on an Intel NUC i5. This setup allows any other computer in my home to run Roon and have access to all music.

My Roon Control is an iPad.

My Roon Output is using RoonBridge. This runs on an Intel J1900 MB running 2012R2 Essentials (no experience or wsemp installed), AO 2.0, PPA v2 Card, Process Lasso, and a Mutec 3+ USB (USB->AES & Reclocker)

One can also use HQP as your Roon Output - either HQP itself or HQP along with HQP NAA.

Thanks for that information... it is much appreciated. Your setup is very similar to how I would be using Roon, so it is reassuring that things work as conceived. In my case, the PC that will be running Roon Server also serves as my home's file server. It runs Windows 10, so I'll have to see if I can run some iteration of AO 2.0 on that machine (when released) without interfering with duties other than audio. I'd rather not have 2 machines on all the time, but adding a second PC as a dedicated music server is always an option.

I would imagine that, as the Roon control app is interfacing with the Roon core (server), whether or not there is a shell replacement for Roon Bridge on the endpoint machine wouldn't matter, no?

Ryan

I would imagine that, as the Roon control app is interfacing with the Roon core (server), whether or not there is a shell replacement for Roon Bridge on the endpoint machine wouldn't matter, no?

Phil does not have RoonBridge as a shell in Service Tool yet, but it can be changed manually in the Registry for now.

Not sure how much change (improvement) there would be changing the shell from a cmd prompt to RoonBridge.

• 2 weeks later...
I finally had some time to get myself "into" Roon last night. Roon & Windows Server have somewhat worked in the past, but the overall experience to get it working was not very convenient. These steps were needed to get Roon or RoonServer working on Windows Server 2012 R2:

- Add the Windows Role "Essentials Experience" (which actually converts a standard edition into an essentials edition)

- Add the "Windows Server Essentials Media Pack"

So i used the last night to get rid of all this inconvenient steps, and yes it does even work in Minimal-Server Mode now. I focused my testings on RoonServer and these are the needed steps to get a Roon Core working on Windows Server 2012 R2 (no matter if GUI or minimal-server Mode):

- Install Windows Server 2012 R2

- Install AudiophileOptimizer 2.00 Beta 20

- Install your DAC Driver

- Install RoonServer

- Stay in GUI mode or switch to minimal-server mode

- Run AudiophileOptimizer and say yes to "Install Kernel-Streaming and MediaPlayer support"

- Run ServiceTool and configure "AutoLogon"

- Run ServiceTool and configure "ShellReplacement", select "Set Roon as shell", then select "Set RoonServer as shell".

- Reboot

What you get is a System which automatically logs in, starts RoonServer, actually plays music and does not need to convert your windows server into an essentials edition nor to install the Media Essentials Pack, it can't get any easier! :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23856[/ATTACH]

Enjoy,

Phil

Will installing AudiophileOptimizer 2.00 Beta 20 also work for the standard version of Windows Server 2012

Will installing AudiophileOptimizer 2.00 Beta 20 also work for the standard version of Windows Server 2012

Yes it does, I've already ordered upgrade.

customer server+AudiophileOptimizer >>UltraRendu (SR4) >> Lush(JSSG360) >>> IsoRegen(SR4) >>> Lush^2 >>> blu2 >>Blaxius^2D >> Dave > HD800(SDRmod)

Hi

there where some important updates for the roon support in b21. Please upgrade to AO 2.00 in a few days when it is released.

Best,

Phil

...welcome you are! :-)

Hi.

Roon on Wins2012R2 via AO, is it only for a new version of AO? I bought AO around sep2015. Can it do that?

DAC - Mytek Brooklyn, Intona High Speed Isolator.Int.Amp - ATC SIA2 150,SP - ATC SCM19, Sub - Paradigm SW2200

Source - Audio PC, Core i7 4785T 2.2Ghz, 8G PPA RAM, Samsung 850pro , WD Black HDD, JCAT USB card, PPA BLACK SATA Cable, HDPLEX H5 gen2 case, LPSu - Uptone JS-2 for DAC and USB Card - TeraDak ATX350W for PC, OS wins2012R2, Audio Optimizer, Fidelizer Pro, ASIO JPLAY, Foobar2000+Ramdisk, Hq player, SP cable - JPS superconductor2, Analog interconnect - Harmornic Tech Magic link III, USB cable - JCAT twin cable, Power cable - JPS kaptivator for Uptone JS-2 forDAC and USB card, Wireworld electra7 for PC, Wireworld electra7 silver for Amp, Magnet 2000 power line stabilzer and conditioner for DAC,PC

12932837_1700967073514123_7525078827891555851_n.jpg