IGNORED

[HOW-TO] Roon and RoonServer on Windows Server 2012 R2

AudioPhil

• 2 weeks later...
by far indeed yes

Thank you for your response, Phil. I have been told you can now use Roon in Core mode, is that correct? That would be very good news if this is possible. Also, once AO 2.2 is released and Windows Server 2016 is fully supported in non-beta form, would it be your advice to use this instead of 2012R2? Are there advantages to using one over the other? I am just getting started and would appreciate where I should begin if best SQ with Roon (no HQP) is my goal.

Hi

Roon(Server) is not (yet) possible in Core. With Server 2012 R2 we had minimal-server mode as alternative. With Server 2016 minimal-server does not exist anymore. It's also

not yet sure of the official release of AO 2.20 will contain support for Windows Server 2016.

Best,

AudioPhil

Thanks again, Phil. If I am to understand correctly, the best sound possible with Roon at this time is with 2012R2 in minimal-server mode and not with Server 2016, is that correct?

You say that Roon is not possible in Core "yet". What are the current obstacles that prevent this from happening and do you anticipate that this capability will happen sooner or later?

It has been suggested that minimal-server mode is 95% of Core mode with regards to SQ, would you agree with this? If this is correct, would you say that the gap from minimal-server mode to GUI mode is similar?

Thank you @AudioPhil and @tboooe for your responses! I feel I have more clarity on the matter as I move forward. I will go with R2 Essentials as suggested. This will be installed on a Mac Mini via Bootcamp and so if there is something else I should know before my install, I would appreciate any helpful advice. I am looking forward to this "day and night" difference from my MacOS!