AudioPhil

[HOW-TO] Roon and RoonServer on Windows Server 2012 R2

Phil - I'm using AO1.40 and would like to upgrade to AO2.0 latest beta. How do I do this? Do you have to send me an email link?

Thanks,

Jordan

Synology NAS -> Quadcore i7, 3.8GHz -> RoonServer -> HQPlayer (all up sampled to DSD128) -> Sonore urendu (Uptone JS2 PS) -> Lampizator Golden Gate DAC -> Valvet A4 Monoblocks -> Zu Audio Definitions Mk4

Upgraded to AO2.00. Thanks, Phil.

I cannot figure out how to automatically start RoonServer on startup and set shell as HQPlayer in Minimal Server. I've re-read these threads looking for the answer and I've tried adding a shortcut to RoonServer.exe in the Start folder (this works in GUI mode).

Can anyone help, please.

Thanks!

Synology NAS -> Quadcore i7, 3.8GHz -> RoonServer -> HQPlayer (all up sampled to DSD128) -> Sonore urendu (Uptone JS2 PS) -> Lampizator Golden Gate DAC -> Valvet A4 Monoblocks -> Zu Audio Definitions Mk4

hi

launch ServiceTool and select "Shell Replacement". Then Choose Roon, RoonServer and reboot.

Best,

Phil

Roonserver as shell doesn't do anything for me. I need Roonserver running and HQPlayer as shell.

I know how to get HQPlayer set up as shell, but do not know how to have Roonserver start automatically on boot? I'll try tboooe's suggestion I guess...putting RoonServer in the Start folder did not work in Minimal Server mode.

You can set Roonserver to start automatically by right clicking the icon in the system tray in GUI mode. As for HQPlayer I have Fidelizer set to launch that at startup for me. Both apps start for me automatically in minimal server mode. I am not sure how to get HQPlayer to start as shell though.

Right clicking Roon icon in system tray only works for GUI mode. RoonServer does not start in minimal server mode which is a big bummer! Using service tool to set HQPlayer as shell is easy, but if RoonServer is not running already it's worthless to have HQP as shell.

A few clarifying points:

1.) not sure why anyone would want to set RoonServer as shell? RoonServer does not have a shell...it runs in the background always. Roon, on the other hand, has a GUI.

2.) I use Roon with HQP and HQP's NAA. The reason I need HQP to be set as shell is that sometimes my NAA hiccups and I need to reset parameters on HQP...my DAC does not switch automatically between DSD and PCM.

3.) because I use an NAA, I'm assuming reducing noise in the main computer won't make much of a difference. I was interested in running RoonServer and HQP in minimal server mode to lower the overall load on the PC while HQP does heavy computational up sampling to DSD256 or DSD512.

@Germanboxers, have you tried actually tried right clicking on Roonserver tray icon and checking the start automatically option then switching to minimal server mode to see if it starts automatically?

I do not doubt what Phil says but for whatever reason in my system, Roonserver starts up fine by itself in minimal server mode.

Yes, I have right clicked on RoonServer in system tray and selected Start automatically. I verified that it automatically starts in GUI mode then switched to minimal server mode, ran AO, checked after each step and no RoonServer.