IGNORED

[HOW-TO] Roon and RoonServer on Windows Server 2012 R2

AudioPhil

It would seem like "Roon Bridge" would be ideal for that situation, but is Audiophile Optimizer in Core capable of running this and providing benefits for doing so?

Yes you can run RoonBridge in 2012r2 Core Mode. Will need Phil to have RoonBridge added as a Shell in AO.

The more open ended question for Phil is: for those of us who store music on a centralized NAS or Server with multiple networked renderers/devices that access those files, one of which may be an audio PC with WinSrvr 2012 and Audiophile Optimizer, what is the recommended configuration for Roon? It is my understanding that there can only be one Roon "core" which I presume to mean the device that is running Roon or Roon Server.

Roon's recommended components are: Roon Core, Roon Control (iPad, etc), Roon Output. https://roonlabs.com/howroonworks.html

But you can have just one box running Roon Core, control it either local or from a Remote device, and have your DAC connected to this device.

Roon does recommend a SSD for the library drive.

All my music resides on a QNAP NAS. But music can be local to the Roon Core computer.

I run Win10 AO2.0 as my Roon Core - this runs RoonServer and Process Lasso. This is on an Intel NUC i5. This setup allows any other computer in my home to run Roon and have access to all music.

My Roon Control is an iPad.

My Roon Output is using RoonBridge. This runs on an Intel J1900 MB running 2012R2 Essentials (no experience or wsemp installed), AO 2.0, PPA v2 Card, Process Lasso, and a Mutec 3+ USB (USB->AES & Reclocker)

One can also use HQP as your Roon Output - either HQP itself or HQP along with HQP NAA.

I would imagine that, as the Roon control app is interfacing with the Roon core (server), whether or not there is a shell replacement for Roon Bridge on the endpoint machine wouldn't matter, no?

Phil does not have RoonBridge as a shell in Service Tool yet, but it can be changed manually in the Registry for now.

Not sure how much change (improvement) there would be changing the shell from a cmd prompt to RoonBridge.

• 4 weeks later...
The frustration came from the implicit assumption that I will be able to use RoonServer with HQP "as is" through AO 2.0.

When I was running HQP and RoonServer on same machine. Started in GUI mode and set RoonServer to run at startup (system tray ICON to set). Then had AO start HQP as the Shell.

If more programs are needed to auto-start/run then a batch file is the way to go. (I did this for the Mutec USB Control Panel).

Hi. Phil

How can i check my vga card, supporting open gl or not?

My mainboard is msi h97 with vga onboard.

Does it support open gl.

Easy - Check with the Video card or MB Vendor - there should be something on their site stating specifications. If not drop an email to their support asking.

Another question is..

If i change OS to wins10,how about it?

Is it sound good as 2012R2?

Ps

Because AO 2.0 can work with both of 10 and 2012. For the roon case, i think 2012 will cause me more a lot of trouble in the future because it is not friendly with some new up coming softwares at least Roon for example.[/Quote]

I have run Roon, RoonServer, and RoonBridge all on 2012R2. Run Roon where OpenGL support is, RoonServer for devices that do not support OpenGL, and RoonBridge for the Client/Server architecture Roon was designed for.

If 2012R2 is too difficult to use/admin etc. then run Windows 10.

• 1 year later...

For installation - the order does not matter, but if you run AO without RoonServer installed then.... :)  So make sure to install RoonServer and AO, then run AO last - as Phil stated.  

RoonServer can be run at start up by right-clicking on ICON in system tray and selecting.   Once RoonServer is running, you can then run AO and install the Roon Support Feature (Y).

You driver can be either WASAPI or ASIO in GUI mode.  Roon will detect which one is available or both in your audio setup section of Roon Remote.   When AO asks for WASAPI/MMCSS ??? support you should agree.

• 2 months later...