IGNORED

Streamer in the ~$3000 range

theppd

Which one sounds better? Which would you chose and why?  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hello everyone!

Currently trying to pick the next streamer for my system. Had Auralic Aries LPSU didn't liked it's sound signature (too forward, lifeless and sometimes too harsh).

The range I'm trying to get as much info and comparisons as possible is:

1) Antipodes

2) Melco N1A vs 3) Aurender X or N100

4) AudioAanZee Reference Flow

Is there anyone who has tested/compared these? Maybe something better according to your experience and comparisons?

MacBook Pro + Roon > Airport Extreme > microRendu + mbps-d2s > Auralic Vega > McIntosh MC275 > Yamaha NS-2000

Wired with: High Fidelity CT-1 Enhanced RCA, Revelation Audio Labs, Fadel Art Coherence PC

...started with PC-Audio 7 years ago. Tweaked and optimized the system (HW & SW) continuously. I've evaluated a few renderer and streamer last year. So far I found that the Aurender (X100) sounded always better and the user interface fits exactly my wish/must have list. In addition the Aurender (HW & SW) has been proven very stable even after some major SW upgrades.

It's worth to mention that in combination with the bel canto REFLink the setup enables an even more relaxed and emotional sound.

Currently, I'm very happy with my all digital system.

Mabe

All_Dig_System_15.jpg

mabe

Thanks Maybe!

Which streamers have you compared to X100? The reason I'm asking is because based on most reviews out there, everyone really likes what they chose to buy. For example, there are no downsides in Melco N1A anywhere on the web based on comments of it's owners. Mostly that's because each streamer sounds better than computer and almost no one has compared it with the competition. Don't know why actually since there are lots of comparisons of DACs for example.

MacBook Pro + Roon > Airport Extreme > microRendu + mbps-d2s > Auralic Vega > McIntosh MC275 > Yamaha NS-2000

Wired with: High Fidelity CT-1 Enhanced RCA, Revelation Audio Labs, Fadel Art Coherence PC

Nice, thanks! I also had high expectations of Aries since I have almost full stack of Auralic products)

renderers:

Sonore Signature Rendu (spdif/I2S)

Sonore micorRendu (USB) - about to be in production (see thread in Sonore forum on this site)

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Can highly recommend the Aurender N100 (optically isolate the LAN connection and us an LPS for the N100 end of the Fibre converter)

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

renderers:

Sonore Signature Rendu (spdif/I2S)

Sonore micorRendu (USB) - about to be in production (see thread in Sonore forum on this site)

Thanks but why should it be chosen over the others?

Can highly recommend the Aurender N100 (optically isolate the LAN connection and us an LPS for the N100 end of the Fibre converter)

Yes, I know that each one of those from the list is a great player and should sound perfect. But why should I chose N100 over N1A for example?

I have not done any comparisons, I read about the minimalist approach of the N100 and its LPS, it just made sense to me so I bought it. It was a very good decision.

;-)

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

Mostly that's because each streamer sounds better than computer and almost no one has compared it with the competition. Don't know why actually since there are lots of comparisons of DACs for example.

I think you haven't researched it quite enough. :)

Audiostream comparing Melco N1A vs Antipodes DS: Melco N1A High Resolution Digital Music Library | AudioStream

HiFi News Feb 16 issue comparing Aurender N10 vs Melco N1A usb output. (No link, you have to pick up the issue)

User feedback:

Aurender N100 or Melco N1A

MELCO - Page 2

I think it's about equal, given how bad some computers/servers can be at poisoning DACs with noise/EMI.

Is it the dac or the streamer that most impacts sounds quality ?

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Thanks but why should it be chosen over the others?

The Signature Rendu is thought by many to be the best sounding device on the market for SPDIF and I2S. Read the product page to see that it was carefully designed for this purpose.

The microRendu is like its sibling, being designed from the ground up for superior ethernet>USB audio.

Neither unit is an "off the shelf" design.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)