IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - Native DSD support

vortecjr

Hi

New to forum. Great source for much information. I have just purchased an ultrarendu and await its arrival :) I use roon with core installed on a mac mini.

In my current configuration (mac mini (roon core)usb------->Audiolab MDAC+) roon downsamples DSD256 to DSD128. I believe this is done due to the limits on the Mac mini USB. 

My planned configuration is as follows:

mac mini (roon core)(ethernet)------->ultrarendu(usb)------->Audiolab MDAC+

In this configuration will DSD256 be passed native to the audiolab.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

The ultraRendu arrived today. I have set-up in my system to run ROON. Pretty straightforward installation. Played DSD256 file and it appears to be sent native to the Audiolab DAC+. The dac display shows DSD 11.2MHZ.  This is screen shot of roon status:

Image.thumb.png.304b720c2b3c1d193534930a4ed9b742.png

Looks like all is good. If there is something I am missing please let me know.

I did want to give my first impression WOW!!!! You guys have put some kind of happy MOJO into this little box. I thought my system sounded pretty good before. NOT...  I was playing What a Wonderful World by Eva Cassidy (16/44.1) My wife is a big fan. She sat on the couch listened for a short bit, smiled and I swear she shed a tear. Enough said. 

Thanks for making a great product.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I’ve been running mR and then uR for about 1.5 yrs, feeding a Chord 2Qute, and now a Hugo2.  I’m using Roon Server running on an older Macbook Pro.  I’ve also tried HQplayer.  I just upgraded my computer to a Dell 15” XPS in hopes of upsampling to DSD512 without success.  Can the uR feed the Hugo2 via native DSD, because I can’t get it to work.  I can only upsample/convert to DSD when I have the uR DSD set to Dop.  Under Dop I’m limited to DSD256, and I understand that’s because of the PCM 768khz limitation.

Thanks in asvance,

Terrance

7 hours ago, ttwong said:

Hello,

I’ve been running mR and then uR for about 1.5 yrs, feeding a Chord 2Qute, and now a Hugo2.  I’m using Roon Server running on an older Macbook Pro.  I’ve also tried HQplayer.  I just upgraded my computer to a Dell 15” XPS in hopes of upsampling to DSD512 without success.  Can the uR feed the Hugo2 via native DSD, because I can’t get it to work.  I can only upsample/convert to DSD when I have the uR DSD set to Dop.  Under Dop I’m limited to DSD256, and I understand that’s because of the PCM 768khz limitation.

Thanks in asvance,

Terrance

Unfortunately, that device does not support the correct format for native DSD on Linux. 

9 hours ago, ttwong said:

Is this the case for all Chord DAC's?  Is there a list of supported DAC's somewhere?  I'm disappointed that this was the case, if it was better documented, I may not have chosen to get the Hugo2.

None of them support it. People can always ask me. DSD256 is very cool and you shouldn't be disappointed. I get what you are saying, but it's should really be up to the DAC manufacture to document these things properly and most do not. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/05/2018 at 10:47 PM, ttwong said:

Hello,

Thanks in asvance,

Terrance

Just discovered the same situation with my new Qutest... What a disappointment...

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

Jesus, my apologies but I really would like to understand. On my other threat you answered that was a problem with the Qutest firmware. Now you're saying that is a limitation from Linux.  I do native 256 and 512 DSD with Linux using the Dac from my Oppo 205 with ultrarendu and STi5.  Would you please clarify. I really wanted to know where the problem stands. Thank you

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

Yes, please clarify. We know OSX has limitation with native DSD and only supports DSD256 via DoP for all DACs regardless of mR or uR.

You suggested on my post that:

Windows (ASIO Drivers) + uR/mR + any Chord DAC doesn't support native DSD512 work because of Linux/Chord non-compatibility.

Soares, BTW, the ASIO driver on the Chord site from a week ago didn't work with Windows 10 Creator Edition.  I was trying to direct connect from my Dell to the H2, bypassing the uR  After spending 4 hrs trying to get stream native DSD512 with my Dell with no success, I contacted Chord, and they sent me a revised driver.  I assume its still in beta which was why they haven't issued it to the general public.

I understand there are too many possible combinations out there, put still wished that on Forums like this, manufacturers were more transparent with limitations and compatibility.  Right now we're all spending a lot of time and money to discover this ourselves.

Can someone point me to a list of compatible uR/DACS that support native DSD512?

Thanks,

Terrance

1 hour ago, soares said:

Jesus, my apologies but I really would like to understand. On my other threat you answered that was a problem with the Qutest firmware. Now you're saying that is a limitation from Linux.  I do native 256 and 512 DSD with Linux using the Dac from my Oppo 205 with ultrarendu and STi5.  Would you please clarify. I really wanted to know where the problem stands. Thank you

Linux unlike OS X can be made to stream native DSD "if" your DAC supports the correct format.  

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

Linux unlike OS X can be made to stream native DSD "if" your DAC supports the correct format.  

Thank you so much Jesus! I understand know. What remains to be clarified is why the correct format is not implemented by Chord...

9 hours ago, ttwong said:

Yes, please clarify. We know OSX has limitation with native DSD and only supports DSD256 via DoP for all DACs regardless of mR or uR.

You suggested on my post that:

Windows (ASIO Drivers) + uR/mR + any Chord DAC doesn't support native DSD512 work because of Linux/Chord non-compatibility.

Soares, BTW, the ASIO driver on the Chord site from a week ago didn't work with Windows 10 Creator Edition.  I was trying to direct connect from my Dell to the H2, bypassing the uR  After spending 4 hrs trying to get stream native DSD512 with my Dell with no success, I contacted Chord, and they sent me a revised driver.  I assume its still in beta which was why they haven't issued it to the general public.

I understand there are too many possible combinations out there, put still wished that on Forums like this, manufacturers were more transparent with limitations and compatibility.  Right now we're all spending a lot of time and money to discover this ourselves.

Can someone point me to a list of compatible uR/DACS that support native DSD512?

Thanks,

Terrance

Thank so much Terrance. I totally agree with you. Good to know that even with a Windows machine I can't have native 512 DSD using a uR feeding a Qutest. Not sure what I will be doing in the future. 

On 2/22/2018 at 12:38 AM, vortecjr said:

If it’s not on the list on page 1 then no. When you get the units hooked up post the information from Apps / DAC Diagnostics and let’s see what we can do.

Hi, I couldn't find a list of compatible devices on page 1, I'm afraid.

I have one of your fantastic USB cards, seen here:

http://www.rendu.sonore.us/USB.html

and I want to check what my options are. Can you confirm native DSD compatibility with the Ultra or Microrendu, please?

Many thanks,

Crom

51 minutes ago, Crom said:

Hi, I couldn't find a list of compatible devices on page 1, I'm afraid.

I have one of your fantastic USB cards, seen here:

http://www.rendu.sonore.us/USB.html

and I want to check what my options are. Can you confirm native DSD compatibility with the Ultra or Microrendu, please?

Many thanks,

Crom

That device only accepts DSD via DoP via Linux.  

22 hours ago, vortecjr said:

That device only accepts DSD via DoP via Linux.  

Thanks for the prompt response Jesus. Is this a limitation of the firmware on the board? If so, would an update be possible/available? Failing that I am sure there is a market for a top-of-the-range board to update this now that higher-rate DSD has become more popular. Any plans?

Kind regards,

Crom

On 5/25/2018 at 5:49 AM, Crom said:

Thanks for the prompt response Jesus. Is this a limitation of the firmware on the board? If so, would an update be possible/available? Failing that I am sure there is a market for a top-of-the-range board to update this now that higher-rate DSD has become more popular. Any plans?

Kind regards,

Crom

You have to ask them. If they were to support the correct format we can make it work. 

• 1 month later...