IGNORED

Renaming Recovered FLAC Files In A Large Batch From Hard Disk Crash On Mac OS

First off, back up your recovered files.

Next, Assuming your flac files have the correct tags...

In MP3Tag drive the top level folder, all the folders and sub folders should be read giving you 1,000 of files.

Goto <edit> and <select all>

Now go <convert> and select <tag - filename>

In the pop up box type something like

%artist%/%album%/%track% - %title%

When you select okay this will rename everything, putting them into an Artist / Album hierarchy naming the files with track number then the track title.

You can go a lot more complex than this if you desire but that's a good start.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Very helpful. I gave this further thought and a plan of sorts has begun to take shape. If I follow the steps you listed above, presumably (and fingers crossed) I will end up with 10 folders of files named after the track number and song titles. [...snip...]

Not quite...

Assuming you have a folder called flacfiles and within that you have flacs1... flacs2... etc upto flacs10.

If you drag "flacflies" into MP3Tag, you will see all the files from flacs1 to flacs10.

Following the directions I gave above, all the files will be reordered under the root folder of flacfiles so you will end up with

flacfiles/album1; flacfiles/album2; flacfiles/album2; etc.

Eloise

PS. just to note I was slightly incorrect in the syntax I lists ... you should actually use \ in the convert string rather than / so

%artist%/%album%/%track% - %title%

is incorrect it should be

%artist%\%album%\%track% - %title%

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

This works for APE and Wavpacks too right? I have some - not a lot of these.

It will work with any and all supported MP3Tag formats.

Eloise

---