IGNORED

Help with computer speaker selection

sportflyer

I have read several of the threads regarding computer speaker selection but I am still undecided which to purchase.

I need to get a pair of speakers for my computer because the internal speakers a very poor. For better sound at the computer i am using AKG Q701 headset , plus Codra Jazz headphone amp, and an Audioengine D3 Dac. While this is fine , I just hate to wear headphones over a longer period of time and I also prefer the music in front of me rather than in my head .I listen to mostly Classical and some Jazz including Vocals . I don't intend to add a subwoofer since I dont play games nor watch movies at the computer. BTW I will not be listening like a recording engineer so would prefer musical above analytical sound . I would be definitely listening in near field conditions . This setup is not for serious listening , for that I fire up the main system in the family room.

I would prefer powered speakers for simplicity but would consider passive speakers plus used amp . I definitely would consider B stock speakers to stretch the $. My budget is around $350

The computer set up is in a corner of the home office so the back of the speakers will be about 8 inches from the side walls and definitely at an angle to the wall even after Toein.

I am leaning towards either swan M200 Mk2 or PSB Alpha ps1 . Also open to other suggestions .

Thanks

Home: Melco N1A/2 | EtherRegen+Farad | UltraRendu+Farad | Denafrips Gaia | Denafrips Terminator Plus | Jeff Rowland Coherence II Series 2 pre | Blue Circle Audio BC-202 amp | Raidho XT-1 | 2 Revel Performa3 B112 subwoofers  | PS Audio DS Power Plant 12 

Home Office: IsoRegen+LPS1.2 | Denafrips Iris | Denafrips Venus 2 | Blue Circle Audio SBT preamp|  Eddie Current Zana Deux Super | Hifiman HE-1000SE | PS Audio DS Power Plant 12

Office:  Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE w/preamp module | Blue Circle Audio BC-28 amp | Raidho X-1 | REL T/5x sub

I concur with Blake's suggestion as I have LSR305 speakers. A bit on the large side for computer speakers, but a really surprisingly good speaker.

I haven't used them, but the Audioengine speakers have a good rep. A2+ is $249 including built in DAC.

Robot Check

The A5+ is a bit above your budget at $399.

Robot Check

These come in red, white or black and I think a wood finish.

I have heard the PSB Alpha's and they are good speakers. The LSR305s are much better.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I haven't heard the JBLs or the PSBs. I found the Swans larger than I was willing to put up with for desktop use. I have the Emotiva AirMotiv 4s which are currently $299. They are slightly smaller than AudioEngine 5+. I substantially prefer them to the 2+ and slightly prefer them to the AE 5+. IMO you do need to get any desktop speaker up off the desk surface, something like the DS2 that Blake linked I would consider a minimum.

I find the AirMotivs fine for jazz or chamber music. Asking tiny $300 speakers to convincingly reproduce Mahler symphonies or Beethoven's 9th is, IMO, a bridge too far but they work well for what I listen to: jazz from Ben Webster to Henry Threadgill, singer-songwriters like Dylan, Randy Newman or Leonard Cohen, and chamber music (heavy on Baroque and 20th C). No $300 active speakers are going to be highly resolving or truly neutral judged against what is out there for substantially more money but these more than meet my expectations for desktop use and I don't find them fatiguing at the levels I listen.

Would the LSR305 or any studio Monitor speakers be too revealing and clinical for relaxed listening while I am working on the computer ?

The LSR305 has some adjustment to the bass and treble. Plus or minus 2db for each. As already posted they are tonally accurate. I don't find them clinical or ruthlessly revealing. They are not laid back or highly relaxed. How that would strike you personally is hard to say without you hearing them.

If there are any Guitar Centers near you, many of them have the LSR 305 on hand to listen to a set. Not always great listening conditions depending on the particular store.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

The LSR305 has some adjustment to the bass and treble. Plus or minus 2db for each. As already posted they are tonally accurate. I don't find them clinical or ruthlessly revealing. They are not laid back or highly relaxed. How that would strike you personally is hard to say without you hearing them.

If there are any Guitar Centers near you, many of them have the LSR 305 on hand to listen to a set. Not always great listening conditions depending on the particular store.

Yes , there are Guitar centers near me. I would take a listen to them . Tks

I went and checked out the LSR305 . They sounded pretty good .Actually I was surprised . Now I am deciding whether to go for them or for $30 more +shipping to purchase B stock Swan M200 Mk3 that seems to have very good reviews , Unfortunately I can't audition before buying since it direct mail order only . Maybe the older Swan Mk2 will be good enough for me . Decisions decisions.

I went and checked out the LSR305 . They sounded pretty good .Actually I was surprised . Now I am deciding whether to go for them or for $30 more +shipping to purchase B stock Swan M200 Mk3 that seems to have very good reviews , Unfortunately I can't audition before buying since it direct mail order only . Maybe the older Swan Mk2 will be good enough for me . Decisions decisions.

$30 plus the cost of an amp unless one has one on hand.

• 1 month later...

I've been using Yamaha HS8's because, well, my recording rig is also my main gaming rig, somewhat. They've been very good for exposing detail and other analytics, but they make overall great entertainment systems on their own.