IGNORED

Genelec 8351 wins 2016 NAMM TEC Award

Some recognition of this extremely well thought out monitor and sound system, taking sound reproduction to an entirely new level.

The size of a 2 way system, the 8351 is actually a full 3 way system build with the amazing co-axial midt/high driver seen in the picture and borrowed from larger brother 8260.

The 8351 belongs to Genelecs SAM series that all sports automatic room calibration: Autocal.

Genelec 8351 documentation and reviews

GLM 2.0 - Autocal automatic room calibration.

Announcement at Genelec.

The 8351 also won:

RedShark Awards 2015 - Best audio product

Resolution Awards 2015 - Monitoring

PIPA Pro Light & Sound International Press Award 2015

8351.png

ALAC/FLAC 16/44 - 24/192 stereo/surround on Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt ->
MacBook Pro -> Firewire -> Weiss AFI-1 DDC -> AES/EBU ->
Genelec 5 x 8260A + 7271A sub

iPhone SE 2 -> Philips Fidelio X2 or Sennheiser PXC 550 on BT
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile” at http://www.computeraudiophile.com/blogs/digipete

Can anybody chime in with actual listening reports, especially those who have long time experience.

I am actually full of hot air, as I have not heard this gem yet.

But the 8260 have kept amazing me over 4 years of ownership.

Thanks

ALAC/FLAC 16/44 - 24/192 stereo/surround on Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt ->

Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile” at http://www.computeraudiophile.com/blogs/digipete

It's looking like concentric drivers are emerging as a significant trend in speaker design.

I must be missing something, but then again - I'm not looking to buy anything new any time soon.

The only concentric drivers in serious audiophile speakers I know of are:

Genelec SAM series, currently only in 8351A and 8260A

TAD's point source reference series including Chris' TAD CR1 Compact Reference

Both concentric drivers are several years old.

Pray tell me I missed some.

I must be missing something, but then again - I'm not looking to buy anything new any time soon.

KEF LS50 even though it isn't terribly "new"....but I really thinking of the upcoming Elac UB5 as a possible trend setter.

Tannoy has been doing it since the ice age. Having recently heard their $10k, second from the top, though, I was not excited. 2- and 3-way coaxials were extremely common in the 50's from companies like Jensen, University, etc., many being just the divers for DIY install.

Some Thiels were or are also dual concentric. Not sure if that is still true.

Pete I have a question about aes/ebu 110 ohm cables and the use with a bose amplifier and bose cube speakers.

So from the amp out I use the aes /ebu as speaker wire to the speakers. will this work, and how should the wires be used? Im using mogami 3080.

Pete I have a question about aes/ebu 110 ohm cables and the use with a bose amplifier and bose cube speakers.

So from the amp out I use the aes /ebu as speaker wire to the speakers. will this work, and how should the wires be used? Im using mogami 3080.

Using AES3 cables for driving passive speakers?

A signal cable for the pover side of an amp?

I have no idea - why would you do that?

Havent tried it yet - have you ? I have used AES3 as DI out from a guitar amp to XLR into a mixer and works well. Although I have wanted to use it for everything eg, AES3 110ohm ts 1/4" plug to rca (from mixer to amp)

then use it for speaker cables from amp to passive speakers. Not sure what sort of trouble this would give me? My set up is computer headphone out 3.5mm (110ohm mogami 3080 ) to trs 1/4" into mixer, rca or ts 1/4" out of mixer to rca connections on amp (using aes/ebu or 75 ohm coax) then 110ohm aes /ebu from amp to passive speakers. (or just normal speaker wire - what speaker wire do you recommend mogami/belden / canare?) would the 110 ohm cable work for a passive speaker wire? how (would you add anything) and what would you use (cables etc) to connect (simply) a computer to mixer to amp to passive speakers?

ReneG

You need to start a new thread in "Headphones & Speakers", that's where your questions belong.

Just navigate to "Headphones & Speakers", press the "+ Post New Thread" button at the bottom of the screen and you have your very own new thread.

Thy to be specific what equipment you have and what you would like to find out or solve.

And put a short headline that describes your dilemma.

People are generally really helpful here.

Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...
Can anybody chime in with actual listening reports, especially those who have long time experience.

I am actually full of hot air, as I have not heard this gem yet.

But the 8260 have kept amazing me over 4 years of ownership.

Thanks

Hi Pete,

I upgraded to 8351's a couple of months ago - absolutely love them. Huge soundstage and outstanding stereo imagery (GLM 2.0 multipoint calibration a joy), fabulous bass detail, great clarity and transparency. Staying up late time and again listening to albums I've had for years.

Main: 2x2TB Ext HDD/Mac Mini 2.3 GhZ core i5 + Uptone MMK & Teradak LPS/Roon/Ethernet LAN/Uptone Audio EtherRegenr/.5M Supra CAT8/SoTM sMs200-ULTRA NEO + SBooster BOTW P&P Eco MkII/Curious cable .2M/UpTone Audio ISORegen + SBooster Ultra/Curious cable .2M/Mutec MC3+USB/DH Labs Silver sonic D110 AES/Genelec 7370A+ 2 x 85351s running GLM 3.1 with wireless remote.

Office: 4TBHDD/MacBookPro/Audirvana /.25M AQvox USB/UpTone Audio ISORegen with SBooster Ultra/.25M Moon Audio Silver dragon USB/Chord Hugo2/.25M Moon Audio Silver dragon phono/Rogue Audio Sphinx 2/Anti-cables level 3/Elac Uni_Fi UB5's on Isoacoustics Apertas/Genelec 7050c Sub.