IGNORED

For those on a Budget - Marantz PM 6005 + Wharfdale 220 < US$1k

Hi All,

I have just set up a second system in my beach house, which I have been playing with for the past 2 weeks while on holidays - it's summer here in Australia.

I purchased a Marantz PM 6005's and stream to its optical input via three different systems using it's internal DAC.,

1. a MAC Mini using ROON + TIDAL,

2. the new Auralic Mini, using either an External Hard drive or again Tidal, via the Lighting LS software on my iPhone, and

3. Airplay into an Apple TV, and thereby use the Marantz DAC in all cases.

Only pain is disconnecting the optical cable to change sources and to avoid this problem I use the DAC inside the Auralic Mini by connecting it's RCA outputs to the CD input on the Marantz. I prefer the DAC inside the Marantz but it is close. In reality you would choose between the Aurali Mini and the Mac Mini - you do not need not both - so either of these with an Apple TV would be a great "entertainment" combination if you also wanted to play movies and music via the system.

The other feature of the Marantz I like is the facility for a second set of speakers and I have installed set of all weather speakers on the balcony and can A/B switch between them or play them (A+B) together.

The Wharfdale 220s are incredible value in my opinion, with even performance across all frequencies, and when driven by the Marantz are capable of very high volumes without any sign of distortion in a large room. A very user friendly system and highly recommended for those on a budget or just starting out.

Marantz PM6005 Integrated Amplifier Review | Audioholics

Wharfedale Diamond 220 review | What Hi-Fi?

Regards,

Ajax

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

Ajax ... is there a reason you don't use the co-ax input for your Auralic Mini? A basic USB to SPDIF converter would be alternative for the MacMini too...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Ajax ... is there a reason you don't use the co-ax input for your Auralic Mini? A basic USB to SPDIF converter would be alternative for the MacMini too...

Hi Eloise,

No reason not to use the coaxial input apart from the fact I don't have a converter and in any case I will remove the Auralic Mini from the system after the holidays and take it home to form the backbone of a multi room system. I'm simply using the holidays to play around with Tidal and learning how to use the Lighting LS software, which I'm quite happy with. The system at beach house will be controlled through the TV - hdmi in from the Mac Mini, cable set top box, and Apple TV and optical out to the Marantz.

There have been several threads recently on budget systems ($US1,500 & $US3,000), which confirm that our "bang for buck" has grown incredibly over the last 5 years. I'm seriously impressed with the sound quality you can now achieve for less than $US1,000, particularly with an integrated pre/dac/amp (thinking also the NAD d3020 would suit the Wharfdales being around $US700 total) or maybe a Dragonfly 1.2, Explorer 2 or iFi Nano DAC with JBL LSR305 5 inch active studio monitor speakers ... all up around $US500. This is good stuff that is very affordable for anyone.

This all bodes well for our hobby as at the end of the day the mighty $ (GBP) will determine whether or not the under 30s (students and young families with school fees and mortgages) will be able to afford good sound. Audiophiles must loose this moniker of being expensive and elitist.

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers