IGNORED

Music and flat-earthers

I changed my view on mental disability over the years. Having worked with some mentally disabled people, as in they worked where I worked, it suddenly became clear that the gov't paying those people to stay disabled at home was a very good thing. It meant not having to deal with them and someone not having to die.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I changed my view on mental disability over the years. Having worked with some mentally disabled people, as in they worked where I worked, it suddenly became clear that the gov't paying those people to stay disabled at home was a very good thing. It meant not having to deal with them and someone not having to die.

And you offset your own carbon emissions by exactly what contribution to society?

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Being the father of an adult mentally disabled child, I utterly agree with you. Keeps me out of jail too, since I don't need to go find people who treat my daughter badly and beat them until they go away and leave her alone...

I would sure love it if however, the Gov. paid my daughter enough to say, have a safe and clean place to live, feed herself, and just perhaps, learn how to deal with the world out there a little better. But until they do, I suppose I will have to continue shouldering the cost.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Being the father of an adult mentally disabled child, I utterly agree with you. Keeps me out of jail too, since I don't need to go find people who treat my daughter badly and beat them until they go away and leave her alone...

I would sure love it if however, the Gov. paid my daughter enough to say, have a safe and clean place to live, feed herself, and just perhaps, learn how to deal with the world out there a little better. But until they do, I suppose I will have to continue shouldering the cost.

-Paul

+1 to this.

No electron left behind.

Good thing for you, not so much for them. Having already been losers in life's lottery, let's deny them even the dignity of work, so we can hide them away and pretend they don't exist.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

And you offset your own carbon emissions by exactly what contribution to society?

Actually worked in the environmental protection field. So I did offset my carbon emissions by several hundred percent. My final year before retirement helped reduce energy usage for an entity that was enough to power a small town.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

This is really heartless.

No electron left behind.

No it really isn't. Those people were dangerous to those around them (at least the ones I had in mind when I typed it). I wasn't implying any threat to them which upon re-reading perhaps could be how some were seeing it. These people were dangerous to others in the work place. I had ideas such people needed a little help and it was good for them to work vs them just doing nothing and being paid to be at home. In my eventual experience, that wasn't a good idea. In some cases the net benefit to society as a whole is worth that cost imo. So maybe it seems heartless toward them, but how do you explain to someone's family that their loved ones dying was worth it?

i think he was being sarcastic.

Besides, you have to learn to grow really thick skin when you buffer between vulnerable people like Meghan, and about 90% of the rest of the human race. I do think some people fear contagion from contact with someone who isn't as capable as the general run of humanity.

It also is the biggest reason we may need to retire some place besides Texas - where there is better community support and services. We won't be able to leave a trust fund large enough to support Meghan her entire life. Which is in all honestly, one of our greatest worries.

Now if I could just make a money bet with rich stupid rappers about whether the Earth is really flat or not, I could solve that problem...(!) :)

Robert A. Heinlein

No it really isn't. Those people were dangerous to those around them (at least the ones I had in mind when I typed it). I wasn't implying any threat to them which upon re-reading perhaps could be how some were seeing it. These people were dangerous to others in the work place. I had ideas such people needed a little help and it was good for them to work vs them just doing nothing and being paid to be at home. In my eventual experience, that wasn't a good idea. In some cases the net benefit to society as a whole is worth that cost imo. So maybe it seems heartless toward them, but how do you explain to someone's family that their loved ones dying was worth it?

Oh that's what you are saying? The flip side works too - why did someone supervising a mentally disabled person at work allow them to be put into an unsupervised dangerous position in the first place? Hint - we have apprenticeship programs that take people not much brighter and teach them how to be safe and productive around electricity or power tools.

Robert A. Heinlein

Good thing for you, not so much for them. Having already been losers in life's lottery, let's deny them even the dignity of work, so we can hide them away and pretend they don't exist.

I agree.

I had an uncle who found meaningful employment as a wardsman at Sydney's Mater Hospital.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Oh that's what you are saying? The flip side works too - why did someone supervising a mentally disabled person at work allow them to be put into an unsupervised dangerous position in the first place? Hint - we have apprenticeship programs that take people not much brighter and teach them how to be safe and productive around electricity or power tools.

It was the instability that was the problem. I didn't decide where to use them, but was forced to do so. They were usually safe and performed well enough. But the emotions were very variable and in once case due to a perceived slight (that was truly meaningless) someone operating a crane tried to use it to bash someone. True enough in some cases any people can get plenty angry, but working around some of these cases was walking on eggshells everyday. I wasn't in a position, don't have the training in psychology nor the time to make such a situation safe. If someone figures it out great, but in general I decided after experience with a handful of such people over the years, that paying them not to work was the best of a bunch of bad options.

Ok, I see what you are saying now. Apology accepted.

No electron left behind.

It was the instability that was the problem. I didn't decide where to use them, but was forced to do so. They were usually safe and performed well enough. But the emotions were very variable and in once case due to a perceived slight (that was truly meaningless) someone operating a crane tried to use it to bash someone. True enough in some cases any people can get plenty angry, but working around some of these cases was walking on eggshells everyday. I wasn't in a position, don't have the training in psychology nor the time to make such a situation safe. If someone figures it out great, but in general I decided after experience with a handful of such people over the years, that paying them not to work was the best of a bunch of bad options.

So how many of the disgruntled employees who seem to go on a shooting rampage in the US on a regular basis have a diagnosed mental disability?

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

So how many of the disgruntled employees who seem to go on a shooting rampage in the US on a regular basis have a diagnosed mental disability?

Just off the top of my head, it seems nearly all of them. Very nearly all are on psychotropic drugs of some sort for one reason or another.

I do not see how this offsets your carbon emissions, but theirs.

Actually worked in the environmental protection field. So I did offset my carbon emissions by several hundred percent. My final year before retirement helped reduce energy usage for an entity that was enough to power a small town.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

I do not see how this offsets your carbon emissions, but theirs.

Then you'll have to explain how that works as my idea of offsets doesn't appear to be the same idea you have in mind.

Really, do I need to spell this out? Unless you were the one using the energy, it is their offset, not yours. You simply assisted, and were likely paid to do this as well. This is the same ole from you. Twisting logic to spin your point of view. It is like saying you earned money by helping another save money when you suggested a tax loophole. Get over yourself already. You were a jerk about disabled people and were called on it.

Then you'll have to explain how that works as my idea of offsets doesn't appear to be the same idea you have in mind.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Making such blanket pronouncements about "mental disability" is a problem in and of itself. I doubt you have the knowledge or understanding of what different types of "mental disability" are and under what conditions people with various types of disabilities may work in one or another environment.

Most often the term "mental disability" is used in reference to people with Psychiatric disorders. Depression is extremely common and often treatable. I have known many people with Bipolar Depression who function at a high level, be that Judges, Doctors and Professors. There is also Schizophrenia. The story of John Nash is well known: "Beautiful Mind" John Nash's Schizophrenia "Disappeared" as He Aged - Scientific American

In addition, social factors—such as having a job, a supportive community and a family that is able to help with everyday tasks—are also linked with better outcomes for schizophrenia patients, Moreno said.Nash had supportive colleagues who helped him find jobs where people were protective of him, and a wife who cared for him and took him into her house even after the couple divorced, which may have prevented him from becoming homeless, according to an episode of the PBS show "American Experience" that focused on Nash. "He had all those protective factors," Moreno said.

Other mental disorders such Autism and in particular Asperger's Syndrome can be associated with high functioning. Clearly should not be excluded from employment. You might consider that you, yourself may have a touch of this and indeed you claim to have had gainful employment.

Particularly problematic however is that "conditions" such as "homosexuality" have been defined as mental disorders in the past and so there is great danger in asserting that people with "mental disabilities" should be excluded from any activity or have their rights limited in any way. In the United States, there is a right to work. What is the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) | ADA National Network

Another category of "mental disabilities" is more properly, recently, named "intellectual disabilities" and incorporates "developmental delay"/MR, do you mean this? or do you mean that people with anxiety or depression should just stay home? Either way you are totally off base.

In any case while it is possible that in your own limited experience that certain individuals had been placed in dangerous situations, this is also the case for many employees, for example mine workers, who are placed into vulnerable situations by their employers or faults of their supervisors. Hardly limited to people with so-called "mental disabilities", whatever you think you mean by that term.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.