IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

Hi - I am thinking of finally trying a microRendu in my main system especially with the introduction of the new LPS-1, but I have a question related to the above post.

I currently run a Squeeze environment throughout the house with various SBTs and radios. The microRendu would go in the main system and I would still like to occasionally control it from the touch screen of my SBT. Can anyone explain how to make this work. One of the great draws to me of the SBT is the display of album art and ability to manually interact with the unit. I would like to keep that if possible.

many thanks

Sam

I see firedog has given you the details of how to do this.

In my setup the SBT stayed in its position in the audio rack and serves two purposes now:

controller for the microRendu when I am right in front of the rack and as the "now playing" screen that I can see from the listening position without having to get my phone out.

John S.

Thanks John - Yes, this is my aim and the beauty of the Touch. The ability to get playing without having to get a phone/tablet/laptop out and connected. Just 'touch' it - very aptly named. Kinda like popping in a CD and pressing play in the old days!

Although a small tablet as firedog suggests may be worth investigation. Do they tell the time when off??? (not a serious question)

mR and LPS-1 have been ordered

Thanks John - Yes, this is my aim and the beauty of the Touch. The ability to get playing without having to get a phone/tablet/laptop out and connected. Just 'touch' it - very aptly named. Kinda like popping in a CD and pressing play in the old days!

Although a small tablet as firedog suggests may be worth investigation. Do they tell the time when off??? (not a serious question)

mR and LPS-1 have been ordered

SamS, if you would like to re-purpose the SBTouch it can be replaced with an O2 Joggler running SqueezePlay OS.

These are readily available second hand and have a slightly larger screen than than the SBT, with the same control functionality (and do show the time when off,lol)

birds like wires | SqueezePlay OS for OpenFrame

Atb

Ronnie.

I got to hear a friend's DAVE in my system driven by a mR. Absolutely stunning sound - as perfect as I've heard from digital or even vinyl in many respects.

I'd agree with this. I have a DAVE as the DAC/preamp hub of my main system and the sound is fantastic - like live reality rather than Hifi.

My reference source is an MBL CD transport, the retail price of which together with the AES cable that I use would allow you to buy 20 mRendu or, more appropriately, 12 mRendu plus the power supply that I use with it. The differences between the two sources are marginal and need very careful listening to identify. I should mention that I'm feeding it with a Melco NAS which also makes a positive contribution, so that should probably also be taken into account. Nonetheless, the mRendu is astonishing performance for the price.

It is also very reliable. I leave it switched on all the time and I have never lost connection with it once - it just fires up and works first time, every time.

The other thing that I like is that with it being so small, I can situate it on the shelf behind my Dave and have been able to remove one shelf from my rack by removing my Aries and using it elsewhere.

Even my wife is liking it! ;)

Just a quick question. I received my mR last Wednesday, 28th, and its running in nicely. Just noticed though that only one of the LAN lights is working. The orange one lights up, but the green one is dead. Is that a problem? Should I send it back and get a replacement? Please let me know what you think...

Thank you

Green light indicates 1Gb ethernet connection is active. Would you expect that ?

Ooohhh, didn't know that. It's because the green light illuminates on my router and switch and every other device that I have. I don't have a gigabit switch or cat6 cabling, that'll probably be it then...

Thank you for that.

Interesting hot microrendu observation. I have been using the microrendu with the provided hard USB connector to my Schiit Yggy. Sounds very nice but the microrendu becomes too hot for my liking and was led to believe this was due to the power consumption from Yggy. So I unplug the unit when not using(power cable to microrendu drom iFi psu. ) Because of network handshake issues I often had to do a whole ritual of pulling out the USB, restarting sonic orbiter, dac, software etc. Apparently the provided USB hard connector is not the best quality (costs about a dollar according to Sonore tech support) and pulling in and out of dac and microrendu wears out the connector pins. So i put in an old USB printer cable and it works fine. But now, the microrendu runs warm, not hot. So maybe the heat issue was due to the hard USB connector? I ordered a curious cable to replace. I will be curious to see if there is much diffence in SQ from my printer cable.

Interesting hot microrendu observation. I have been using the microrendu with the provided hard USB connector to my Schiit Yggy. Sounds very nice but the microrendu becomes too hot for my liking and was led to believe this was due to the power consumption from Yggy. So I unplug the unit when not using(power cable to microrendu drom iFi psu. ) Because of network handshake issues I often had to do a whole ritual of pulling out the USB, restarting sonic orbiter, dac, software etc. Apparently the provided USB hard connector is not the best quality (costs about a dollar according to Sonore tech support) and pulling in and out of dac and microrendu wears out the connector pins. So i put in an old USB printer cable and it works fine. But now, the microrendu runs warm, not hot. So maybe the heat issue was due to the hard USB connector? I ordered a curious cable to replace. I will be curious to see if there is much diffence in SQ from my printer cable.

If you turn off the DAC the unit will cool down. I don't see how the USB connector can affect how much power your DAC uses.

If you turn off the DAC the unit will cool down. I don't see how the USB connector can affect how much power your DAC uses.

Schiit multibit DACs, especially the Yggy, take quite a while to stabilize thermally after being switched on, so turning them off is not such a good idea for optimal SQ. I have a Schiit Bifrost Multibit connected with a Schiit USB cable to my microRendu which is powered by a 9V Teddy Pardo LPS. Everything in always on except when I'm out of town for longer trips. Even with 9V power, my microRendu, which stands on one of those Rolodex card holders for good airflow, gets only warm, never hot. According to the Schiit specs, Bifrost uses a CM6631A USB receiver, the Yggy a CM6632. I can't find a datasheet for the CM6632, only for the CM6632A. Both CM6631A and CM6632A draw less than [email protected] according to their datasheets.

My Yggy runs very hot too, might try a self adhesive heat sink.

Most of the heat dissipation for Schiit DACs comes from the self-powered portions, very different from the USB current draw and microRendu heating it may cause, which matters little to the DAC's overall dissipation (80mA is in the noise relative to the rest of the DAC's circuitry).

Most of the heat dissipation for Schiit DACs comes from the self-powered portions, very different from the USB current draw and microRendu heating it may cause, which matters little to the DAC's overall dissipation (80mA is in the noise relative to the rest of the DAC's circuitry).

Sorry meant to say my microRendu runs hot.

rogerdn

I recommend you the nice Konvertible Lite cable from Elijah Audio: Elijah Audio - Products

konvertible_th.jpg

This is the one that I have and instead of having to remove the USB-B connector from the DAC, I just remove the red plug to cool down the mRendu.

Cheers

This cable seems very handy with it's unplug-able power line. However the cotton sleeve puzzles me: isn't it advised to have shielded cables for everything before the amp? Isn't such cable prone to get EMI noise?

Synology 1515+ --> micro rendu 1.3/LPS-1 --> Singxer KTE SU-1 --> I2S --> Holo Spring DAC KTE Level3 --> WA5 --> Focal Utopia, Mr Speaker Ether Flow C, ZMF Eikon

At very short lengths, shielding becomes much less of an issue. Braiding the data wires also helps. Because ground and power lines are longer, they bend away from the data wires for a safe distance.

Getting into slightly more controversial territory, various types of shielding can adversely affect SQ in different ways, so the methods mentioned can be a good alternative to shielding.

I use a variant of the Elijah cable shown, but with no power line at all, just a DC barrel for direct injection of 5V from an external LPS.

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

At very short lengths, shielding becomes much less of an issue. Braiding the data wires also helps. Because ground and power lines are longer, they bend away from the data wires for a safe distance.

Getting into slightly more controversial territory, various types of shielding can adversely affect SQ in different ways, so the methods mentioned can be a good alternative to shielding.

I use a variant of the Elijah cable shown, but with no power line at all, just a DC barrel for direct injection of 5V from an external LPS.

thanks for the answer, it makes sense.

One more question: is the power line still needed for connecting my MR to a powered DAC (Hugo TT) in my case. Getting completely rid of the power line sounds like the best way to prevent from USB power noise. However I'm not sure if it's needed for the USB protocol, or the NAS to recognize MR. Hope someone can help with that.

Synology 1515+ --> micro rendu 1.3/LPS-1 --> Singxer KTE SU-1 --> I2S --> Holo Spring DAC KTE Level3 --> WA5 --> Focal Utopia, Mr Speaker Ether Flow C, ZMF Eikon

thanks for the answer, it makes sense.

One more question: is the power line still needed for connecting my MR to a powered DAC (Hugo TT) in my case. Getting completely rid of the power line sounds like the best way to prevent from USB power noise. However I'm not sure if it's needed for the USB protocol, or the NAS to recognize MR. Hope someone can help with that.

You can use the cheapo method by placing a small piece of electrical tape over the 5vdc pin (#1) of the USB A plug to see if you have any issues. (Google usb pinout for diagram)

This is the method I have used for years now with my DAC which has an internally powered USB board.

Hi, I've got a Job INTegrated amplifier with integrated dac. This is a nice amp with a nice dac (see 6moons rave review). However I have a problem with using the microRendu. When I turn the Job INTegrated ON the first song played is very distorted. A high cut out sound, but the song can be recognised. When I stop and restart the song the problem is over. The problem doesn’t occur again until I turn the amp OFF and ON again. Until recently I’ve been using an Aries Mini as the source. Same problem there. Is this a problem that's to be solved by the amp manufacturer or is there something Sonore could do?

definitely sounds like you need to reach out to the amp manufacturer.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100