IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

How did you have the iUSB incorporated in the chain? You mean between the mRendu and you Dac? Or before the mRendu was added?

I didn't use the iUSB3.0 with the mR. This was with another machine going to my DAC before I got the mR.

It's funny, but with other iFi gear the iUSB3.0 + Gemini cable + iPower sounded brilliant. As soon as I started mixing it with the DAVE, though, the sound went to crap. In theory it shouldn't, but it did.

SonicTransporter i5 -> Linn KDS/3 -> M3a-800S -> EgglestonWorks Andra II

Did you break the DAVE in? In general I've read at LEAST 100 hours on a new Dac to reach potential...

The consensus has been that the DAVE needs little to no burn-in period, even in the opinion of Rob Watts. But, I mean, hey, I'll certainly put a good 100+hrs on it now, along with the mR to see if I can kick out some of that bright sound. I'll leave the rig on 24/7 for the next 5 days. Besides, I auditioned the DAVE twice, without it being bright, and I've had it smooth at my home just running it through a laptop. I'm sure whatever the problem is it will iron itself out. I imagine it's a combo of the mR being so new and the iFi supply.

The consensus has been that the DAVE needs little to no burn-in period, even in the opinion of Rob Watts. But, I mean, hey, I'll certainly put a good 100+hrs on it now, along with the mR to see if I can kick out some of that bright sound. I'll leave the rig on 24/7 for the next 5 days. Besides, I auditioned the DAVE twice, without it being bright, and I've had it smooth at my home just running it through a laptop. I'm sure whatever the problem is it will iron itself out. I imagine it's a combo of the mR being so new and the iFi supply.

Guys - what does this discussion have to do with the mRendu? Why not start a new thread to discuss this?

Guys - what does this discussion have to do with the mRendu? Why start a new thread to discuss this?

In my opinion, the iFi power supply with microRendu does generate a brightness/leanness to the sound. I would try a higher quality linear power supply - that should significantly reduce the brightness. My HDPlex is MUCH warmer and more realistic sounding than the iFi.

I would recommend a better power supply for the µRendu, after all, you have a DAVE, might as well go with a top notch supply to get the best out of the set up. Maybe try a different USB cable as well. I use the Curious short link and really like it with the µRendu. USB cables are system dependent, so you might try a few options. Keep everything powered as well so the clocks are totally stable and warm.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Guys - what does this discussion have to do with the mRendu? Why not start a new thread to discuss this?

Ummm...because people here have suggested to burn-in the mR for 100hrs, and this just happens to correspond to a number mentioned for DAC burn-in. People are trying to troubleshoot, making sure it's not the DAC or cables. Something I very much appreciate. I'm sorry you don't feel the same, but B follows A as surely as C follows B.

Ummm...because people here have suggested to burn-in the mR for 100hrs, and this just happens to correspond to a number mentioned for DAC burn-in. People are trying to troubleshoot, making sure it's not the DAC or cables. Something I very much appreciate. I'm sorry you don't feel the same, but B follows A as surely as C follows B.

Well lots of equipment require burn-in time so why not just open this thread up to a general discussion of well everything.

I not trying to ping you guys on the discussion points which is worthwhile, just do it in another thread, say "mRendu and DAVE DAC issues".

To my mind it is fine to discuss this as long as it is based on a µRendu with DAVE basis. So, how to get the best out of the µRendu/DAVE combo. This pertains to anyone who might want to use the µRendu with their DAVE DAC, and in the broader picture, points out that everyone can benefit from finding the best components to optimize the performance of the µRendu with their DAC via power supplies, cables, etc...

Clearly DAVE is a very high resolution DAC (if not the absolute highest). And the µRendu is a very high resolution USB source. Audiophiles must understand that the higher the resolution of the system, the closer attention must be paid to the details of the system, as every little potential problem will be exposed (even magnified). Add to that mix the Senn 800s, and we have a system capable of the best resolution possible, so it is not surprising that some fine tuning be necessary to achieve the bets tonal balance. Addressing vibration issues might have good results as well...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

In the couple of places I've now used a microRendu (driving a TacT-based system via a USB-to-S/PDIF converter, and driving Schiit DACs both directly and via S/PDIF converters), the overall result has never been painfully bright... but I'll note that the sound with the microRendu powered by one of the iFi fancy-warts was a bit more fizzy and splashy than what I eventually settled on, and various supplies (including other linears) have made the overall sound lighter-weight than what I get with an Uptone JS-2. I really like the JS-2.

Now, I have no idea how much of this is related purely to the quality of the DC delivered and what may be related to potential noise paths... but nothing else I've tried for power yet (and really, I think I'm done, unless I order in some of the upcoming supercap isolator gizmos when they're ready) pleases me as much as the JS-2.

I think I read somewhere (sorry, no link to hand) someone suggesting that another member of the Chord family was particularly unforgiving of potential ground noise loops, so even though the JS-2 has two DC outputs, they share a ground - so I suggest you try one powering just the single thing: the microRendu.

If you want to try one of the short Curious USB cables instead of the hard adapter, I betcha that wouldn't hurt either.

Anyone powering the mR with the SBooster BOTW 6V? Love to hear how it compares with the HDPlex 100W which I currently use but might switch to power my headamp instead.

Speaker Rig: Roon > microRendu + HDPlex 100W > Yggdrasil > iTube > Sansui Au-555a > Dali Royal Menuet II 

Vinyl Rig: Sansui SR-2050C > Sansui Au-555a > Dali Royal Menuet II

Home Rig: Roon > microRendu > iPurifier 2 > Yggdrasil > iCAN SE > HD800S (LPS: HDPlex 100W)

Office Rig: Roon > mac mini > iDSD BL > HD800S / Viso HP50 / Marshall Major II

But, I mean, hey, I'll certainly put a good 100+hrs on it now, along with the mR to see if I can kick out some of that bright sound. I'll leave the rig on 24/7 for the next 5 days. Besides, I auditioned the DAVE twice, without it being bright, and I've had it smooth at my home just running it through a laptop. I'm sure whatever the problem is it will iron itself out. I imagine it's a combo of the mR being so new and the iFi supply.

I got to hear a friend's DAVE in my system driven by a mR. Absolutely stunning sound - as perfect as I've heard from digital or even vinyl in many respects. No brightness whatsoever.

My mR is powered by an "El Cheapo" linear power supply. I purchased this initially to power a Regen and it most certainly eliminated a hardness heard with the switching supply that ships with the Regen.

Through the DAVE we also heard improvements from using optical fiber instead of copper Ethernet and from streaming Roon over HQPlayer over RAAT.

My USB cable is the Audience Au24. My friend found the DAVE to be fairly insensitive to USB cables.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I got to hear a friend's DAVE in my system driven by a mR. Absolutely stunning sound - as perfect as I've heard from digital or even vinyl in many respects. No brightness whatsoever.

My mR is powered by an "El Cheapo" linear power supply. I purchased this initially to power a Regen and it most certainly eliminated a hardness heard with the switching supply that ships with the Regen.

Through the DAVE we also heard improvements from using optical fiber instead of copper Ethernet and from streaming Roon over HQPlayer over RAAT.

My USB cable is the Audience Au24. My friend found the DAVE to be fairly insensitive to USB cables.

May I ask If use Roon + HQPlayer for DAVE, does upsampling benefits to SQ ? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Yep, a better linear power supply will take much of that edge off. Also, what ethernet cable are you using? The microRendu is sensitive (as it should be) to whatever comes before it. It'll show you everything, good or bad!

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

May I ask If use Roon + HQPlayer for DAVE, does upsampling benefits to SQ ? Thanks.

My friend and I experimented only briefly with upsampling to the DAVE. We both preferred leaving this to the DAVE, with HQPlayer just doing a pass-through.

I have a slight preference for upsampling with my Mojo.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Is there any way to stop the microrendu showing up on my home network computers?

Since I only use RAAT the file area is redundant, and in the quest of shutting down unnecessary processes etc, it seems like this would be better disabled unless required? Also just prefer it not to show up so no one copies anything to it.

Roon lifetime > Mac Mini > ethernet > microRendu (RAAT) w/ Paul Hynes SR3 > Intona > Curious USB link > Devialet 250 Pro > PMC fact 8.

?...

Also, what ethernet cable are you using? The microRendu is sensitive (as it should be) to whatever comes before it. It'll show you everything, good or bad!

I thought John S had said pretty much the opposite in fact - that it should be insensitive to what comes before it?!

Roon lifetime > Mac Mini > ethernet > microRendu (RAAT) w/ Paul Hynes SR3 > Intona > Curious USB link > Devialet 250 Pro > PMC fact 8.

Mmmm, pretty sure he was talking about his new power supply. Quality of NAS. power supply on it, power supply on switches, and quality of ethernet cable all make a difference. Think of the microRendu as the turntable, and the bas, etc that comes before it as the vinyl. The cleaner the vinyl the better it will sound.

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

Well, then maybe you can explain to me why it wouldn't. The microRendu is amazing, but it's not magic. I could hear the difference between a meico ethernet cable and an audioquest cinnamon so why wouldn't what comes before make a difference?

Well, then maybe you can explain to me why it wouldn't. The microRendu is amazing, but it's not magic. I could hear the difference between a meico ethernet cable and an audioquest cinnamon so why wouldn't what comes before make a difference?

Hey, I didn't invent the thing! :)

I just remember John discussing (with a few caveats) that it was probably cable agnostic. I mean that is the point of the device from my understanding - take whatever signal it's given over Ethernet and put out the best quality SI version possible over USB. If all these other tweaks throughout a system are necessary - like linear power on a switch or whatever - it strikes me the rendu wouldn't be doing its job.

I can't speak from experience as I don't have exotic Ethernet cables and wouldn't put linear power supplies on my networking gear but that's just me. I think if those things made a difference surely we'd have to call our ISP and Tidal and everything in between and ask them all to upgrade their power supplies to linear so we don't get shoddy data through our door. Im tying to be humerous, but that's also the way I think.

I have a UK double power socket, a Devialet plugged into one and an ifi driving the rendu plugged into the other. I still find I need the Intona after the rendu which is disappointing, but I don't feel upgrading the cabling and power supplies on all equipment on the same network a remotely sensible option and don't feel it should be necessary.