IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

Using minimstreamer try using the libsoxr library with upsampling set at highest quality. Just awesome and it runs on a Qnap 251+ with 2gb memory.

Hi @Imitche, I've got minimserver working now on my Qnap 251+.

How do I installed minimstreamer though? The installation instructions aren't as clear as for minimserver.

Appreciate any help! :-)

On another thread the other day @jtwrace was contradicted by someone who cited BJ website specs in favor of 6a. Jtwrace has in the past cited an email from BJ staff that gave reasons for the 6 being the better cable for CA purposes. I'm wondering if jtwrace tried to sort this out further in the meantime. Would be a small shame

if a misunderstanding led many readers to buy the wrong cable. I got the 6 because of the advice passed on from BJ.

Not important who is correct, just that the ambiguity gets cleared up IMHO. With regard to the 6, I don't believe it is shielded, but could be mistaken.

No reason to sort it out...the email I got from Jeff at BJC was very clear and that's why I posted on this forum.

This is what I posted from BJC to me.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Perhaps the specs cited on the website are incorrect and Alex C. Is mistaken, too. I don't mean to suggest that you must sort it out--and clearly you're satisfied with the answer from Jeff--only that doubt has been raised about 6 vs 6a, an issue present in a number of these sorts of posts. Were I to buy another 75 feet of cable, I'd try to sort it out, if possible. Regards,

Perhaps the specs cited on the website are incorrect and Alex C. Is mistaken, too. I don't mean to suggest that you must sort it out--and clearly you're satisfied with the answer from Jeff--only that doubt has been raised about 6 vs 6a, an issue present in a number of these sorts of posts. Were I to buy another 75 feet of cable, I'd try to sort it out, if possible. Regards,

I gotcha. No biggie.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Using minimstreamer try using the libsoxr library with upsampling set at highest quality. Just awesome and it runs on a Qnap 251+ with 2gb memory.

So I've got ministreamer working now.

For the stream.transcode command i've set : flac:wav24;, alac:wav24;

I want to keep all FLAC and ALACs at both their existing bitrate and sample rates.

So 16/44 flacs and alacs to remain 16/44

And 24/192 flacs and alacs to remain 24/192

Will " flac:wav24;, alac:wav24; " do that? Where the semi-colon keeps the existing bitrate

Appreciate any help :-)

Minimstreamer transcode command strings are described here: http://minimstreamer.com/userguide.html in the transcode section. Wav24 creates a 24 bit stream for the file type preceding the semi colon. So flac:wav24 will create a 24 bit stream from 16 bit Redbook files. You should experiment with these parameters. They can make a stunning difference in SQ.

Here is a good discussion on minimstreamer settings: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/minimserver-users-transcode-flac-wav-24136/

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

I stream my flacs (all Redbook) in minimserver with a setting of WAV24 and it makes a small difference, perhaps more when I was using a Naim streamer instead of the mR. But I can still discern a subtle difference for the better. Still on an older version of minim and Vortexbox (2.2).

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

Minimstreamer transcode command strings are described here: User guide in the transcode section. Wav24 creates a 24 bit stream for the file type preceding the semi colon. So flac:wav24 will create a 24 bit stream from 16 bit Redbook files. You should experiment with these parameters. They can make a stunning difference in SQ.

Here is a good discussion on minimstreamer settings: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/minimserver-users-transcode-flac-wav-24136/

Hi, yep I had a look at this earlier.

Would the following be ideal: flac:wav24;, alac:wav24;,aac:wav24;,mp4:wav24;,mp3:wav24;,*:wav24;,

I.e. convert all the inputs that minimserver is able to read, to 24-bit WAV, keeping their existing bitrate (the semi-colon)?

This would make the NAS do all the heavy lifting and the microRendu to just "do it's thing" ?

:-)

Yes, that's the idea. I don't think you need the commas. I moved on to Roon/HQplayer, so don't have a current implementation to check your settings against. Sorry.

Nice. So you think the Roon/HQplayer was a step up from the minimserver/DLNA mode?

I'm planning to compare these 2 options against a 3rd - JRMC running on the Qnap

Sent from my Blackberry DTEK50 using Tapatalk

I'm using kazoo to control music via DNLA output on microrendu. I have also been on a trial with Roon, using RoonReady output and doing comparisons to decide if I want to pay for Roons great interface. At first I thought Roon had a slight edge. But with more time to compare I think I've come to the opposite conclusion. It is very close call on my system. I have not tried HQplayer and don't want to go there yet. In short, the DNLA output is no "set back" in my experience, and the controllers (kazoo or lumin) are not only nice, but also free.

Thanks for this. Is your current DLNA configuration where the microRendu itself is doing all the file format decoding? or you are using a PC program to do that?

Thanks again

Yes, Roon/with HQplayer upsampling to DSD512 is a step up here.

Nice. Only problem for me is I want to part from a PC completely for playback and control. i.e. just turn on the amp, the Nas and control via phone app. But I will definitely try Roon on free trial with HQPlayer to hear what it's like, for sure.

Hi, yep I had a look at this earlier.

Would the following be ideal: flac:wav24;, alac:wav24;,aac:wav24;,mp4:wav24;,mp3:wav24;,*:wav24;,

I.e. convert all the inputs that minimserver is able to read, to 24-bit WAV, keeping their existing bitrate (the semi-colon)?

This would make the NAS do all the heavy lifting and the microRendu to just "do it's thing" ?

:-)

Hi, you should leave out the ";". It's used only as separator if you want to transcode the samplerate:

flac:wav24, alac:wav24, aac:wav24, mp4:wav24, mp3:wav24, *:wav24;,

This is my Minimserver stream.transcode setting: aac:wav;96, alac:wav;96, mp4:wav;96, mp3:wav;96, flac:wav;96

I'm transcoding all to 96Hz because my dac doesn't like samplerate changes. I don't use wav24 because the ds112 NAS doesn't seem to be able to cope with that.

Thanks for this. Is your current DLNA configuration where the microRendu itself is doing all the file format decoding? or you are using a PC program to do that?

Thanks again

Having the microrendu decode audio files is really not an issue.

Yes, Roon/with HQplayer upsampling to DSD512 is a step up here.

... if you are running a sigma-delta DAC with native DSD. If you are using a native PCM DAC that converts DSD to PCM first, I doubt the DSD conversion helps, and it might hurt. And some of us (a small minority) are biased towards PCM-only R2R DACS...

Hi, you should leave out the ";". It's used only as separator if you want to transcode the samplerate:

flac:wav24, alac:wav24, aac:wav24, mp4:wav24, mp3:wav24, *:wav24;,

This is my Minimserver stream.transcode setting: aac:wav;96, alac:wav;96, mp4:wav;96, mp3:wav;96, flac:wav;96

I'm transcoding all to 96Hz because my dac doesn't like samplerate changes. I don't use wav24 because the ds112 NAS doesn't seem to be able to cope with that.

Transcoding in general does not preserve the original samples (think of what has to happen going from 44.1kHz to 96kHz, for instance), that it, it can be somewhat lossy. That may or may not be audible, but it is worth keeping in mind if you are spending time and $$$ to get the best SQ.

... if you are running a sigma-delta DAC with native DSD. If you are using a native PCM DAC that converts DSD to PCM first, I doubt the DSD conversion helps, and it might hurt. And some of us (a small minority) are biased towards PCM-only R2R DACS...

You know you can start a civil war around here saying something like that:)

You know you can start a civil war around here saying something like that:)

Hey, just trying to help people keep it simple if their DACs can't benefit from DSD input. It's surprising how many people transcode to DSD just to have their DAC convert it back to PCM, thus adding two opaque and potentially lossy transcoding steps to their signal path.

Yes, I am running a native dsd DAC. And yes, DSD to PCM to an R2R DAC may hurt.

And lastly, I agree we are all constrained by prior choices and biases.

I only comment on what I hear HERE.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Hey, just trying to help people keep it simple if their DACs can't benefit from DSD input. It's surprising how many people transcode to DSD just to have their DAC convert it back to PCM, thus adding two opaque and potentially lossy transcoding steps to their signal path.

I think it's a complex question that needs Jussi to chime in so he can explain what affect his filters may or may not have on playback into different DACs. I'm also not clear what takes place when a DAC resamples DSD to PCM. In this case each DAC manufacturer need to chime in as well.