IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

Just received the µRendu today and got it set up working with JRMC on the MacMini w. WD Drive feeding the DDP-1. Sweet. Such a difference over prior USB feed to Wyred4Sound RUR to DDP-1. Able to crank things up in the room, since the noise floor is so, so much lower. Clarity and naturalness of sound is most evident. Down the road I will likely upgrade to your power supply, as well as giving other software servers a go, if they are likely to offer better audio quality. Seems others are using the HQPlayer, especially with Roon. [fyi...this is not the system in my signature but my home theater upstairs with many "cast offs" from prior audio]

All in all, so far, and I've only just put this into play, this is a shockingly great way to get the bits into the DAC!

Thanks for posting about your microRendu...enjoy!

Does Reboot work for most people here?

I ask as Halt works as expected, Reboot always fails for me. The mR counts down and the GUI doesn't come back, even if I point the browser direct at the relevant IP address, I have to remove and re-attach the PSU. For the firmware upgrade I had to do this twice.

Thx,

M

It's been reported. That feature was added to assist us when we log into the unit for support. No issue if you just pull the power cord...this is what I do here:)

If the Mac doesn't need any USB AUdio drivers installed for my Peachtree, is it safe to say that the microRendu (running Linux) should be safe too?

Or too risky?

Peachtree say I only need to install their audio drivers on Windows PC's, not Macs

I don't have reports of issues with that device. You should be fine.

I have two µRendu units. One reboots successfully every time, the second always requires removal and reattachment of the power supply. They are in separate systems (different dac and power supply) and the problem remains with the same µRendu unit if I swap them over i.e. it is unlikely to be a system related problem.

John T

I have two µRendu units. One reboots successfully every time, the second always requires removal and reattachment of the power supply. They are in separate systems (different dac and power supply) and the problem remains with the same µRendu unit if I swap them over i.e. it is unlikely to be a system related problem.

John T

Same here. One worked, returned it, new one works fine.

Hi all, just a couple questions.

I was thinking of parting completely with my PC for music playback to my USB DAC. My Qnap 251+ isn't that powerful so I don't really want to buy a microRendu with Roon on the Qnap only to find that it stutters (Roon recommend i3, i5, i7 NAS's).

So with NAS > microRendu > USB DAC (Peachtree Nova 220SE) and controlled with an Android, what are my options?

In terms of the "output modes" and required Android apps, is Output Mode 3a (DLNA) my only option, using a DLNA controller Android app?

This then uses the microRendu for all rendering (I think) - is it a significant set back in this mode? Is it significantly better to have something like HQPlayer or Roon doing all the heavy lifting?

Thanks again

Hi all, just a couple questions.

I was thinking of parting completely with my PC for music playback to my USB DAC. My Qnap 251+ isn't that powerful so I don't really want to buy a microRendu with Roon on the Qnap only to find that it stutters (Roon recommend i3, i5, i7 NAS's).

So with NAS > microRendu > USB DAC (Peachtree Nova 220SE) and controlled with an Android, what are my options?

In terms of the "output modes" and required Android apps, is Output Mode 3a (DLNA) my only option, using a DLNA controller Android app?

This then uses the microRendu for all rendering (I think) - is it a significant set back in this mode? Is it significantly better to have something like HQPlayer or Roon doing all the heavy lifting?

Thanks again

I would not ignore those performance recommendations for Roon server on a NAS. DLNA would be a great option and was used in Chris' review here on CA.

I'm using kazoo to control music via DNLA output on microrendu. I have also been on a trial with Roon, using RoonReady output and doing comparisons to decide if I want to pay for Roons great interface. At first I thought Roon had a slight edge. But with more time to compare I think I've come to the opposite conclusion. It is very close call on my system. I have not tried HQplayer and don't want to go there yet. In short, the DNLA output is no "set back" in my experience, and the controllers (kazoo or lumin) are not only nice, but also free.

I tried Roon core last week on a QNAP TS-251+ with 8GB RAM. Roon remote was on an iPad Air. Roon directory was on HDD, not recommended. Database loading took 1 sec per album but my library was only 315 and will only double when I finish ripping, a small library. I had no playback issues with formats including DSD64 and PCM192. I could not determine any sound difference between Roon endpoint and DLNA with the microRendu connected to an Ayre Codex. If you have the tablet to run Roon Remote I suggest you trial Roon Core with 8GB of RAM, experiment will not cost much and I found Lumin control reloaded faster with the 8GB than previous 2.

Thanks @vortecjr , @sockpit and @d_elm

I was just reading the many pages of this thread (127) and there were a few less preferences with DLNA compared with others.

My Qnap TS 251+ also has 8gb RAM already and 2 x 2TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD's

So in DLNA output mode, the microRendu does the decoding of ALAC and FLAC files. Is 24/192 still an issue in DLNA mode for ALAC files? I read some of the earlier posts in this thread where it was an issue - I'm still trying to get through the 127 pages of this thread to get the history ;-)

I used MPD/DLNA (3a) for my Sonicorbiter-based sources (first SOtM sMS-100, now microRendu for one system and Sonicorbiter SE for another), controlled by BubbleUPnP on various Android devices for quite a while, with a variety of FLAC material from 44.1/16 to 192/24. It works reasonably well, both in sound quality and in play control. Recently I got a separate Intel NUC server to run Roon Core and serve the RAAT to the microRendu and SOSE, mainly because Roon's library management and UI are better. I think I also detected a slight improvement in signal quality, or rather, my wife says she did on the speaker system connected to the SOSE. The headphone system with microRendu seemed to sound a tad more precise as well to me, but I could have been easily fooled by my own expectations. Anyway, the bottom line is that DLNA and BubbleUPnP are work pretty well and gave me many hours of musical enjoyment, even though I eventually went for the extra hardware and software costs of Roon.

I used MPD/DLNA (3a) for my Sonicorbiter-based sources (first SOtM sMS-100, now microRendu for one system and Sonicorbiter SE for another), controlled by BubbleUPnP on various Android devices for quite a while, with a variety of FLAC material from 44.1/16 to 192/24. It works reasonably well, both in sound quality and in play control. Recently I got a separate Intel NUC server to run Roon Core and serve the RAAT to the microRendu and SOSE, mainly because Roon's library management and UI are better. I think I also detected a slight improvement in signal quality, or rather, my wife says she did on the speaker system connected to the SOSE. The headphone system with microRendu seemed to sound a tad more precise as well to me, but I could have been easily fooled by my own expectations. Anyway, the bottom line is that DLNA and BubbleUPnP are work pretty well and gave me many hours of musical enjoyment, even though I eventually went for the extra hardware and software costs of Roon.

Nice, thanks for the info mate. In DLNA output mode, did you have any 24/192 ALAC files and have any issues with playback?

As per my post just above your reply, I read that some of the early posts in this thread where it was an issue at the time. But things may have changed with firmware updates since then

The free trial for Roon is handy. I can test for any performance issues. I really want to part with the PC so it's handy having Roon on the Qnap. The NAS doing all the heavy work is ideal I guess, as long as the Qnap 251+ has enough power for Roon. As was said above though, d_elm tried it and didn't have any issues with DSD and 24/192 files, so that's extremely positive.

Regarding DLNA and 192 ALAC, if you run mimimServer on the QNAP and configure it with mimimWatch to use the mimimStreamer module you can configure mimimStreamer to convert FLAC or ALAC to WAV and move the decompression work from the renderer to the NAS.

Fantastic thanks d_elm. I'm guessing then that 24/192 ALAC is still an issue for the microRendu to decode in DLNA output mode?

Fantastic thanks d_elm. I'm guessing then that 24/192 ALAC is still an issue for the microRendu to decode in DLNA output mode?

I play 24/192 WAV via the mR, I wouldn't touch Apple with the 200' battle lance.

In terms of the modes: I have worked my way through the list, with the exception of Roon. In my system they sound subtly different, but all good.

I am currently switching between LMS and MPD/DLNA (Synology Media Server / Bubbleupnp via Kazoo). This is processed through a Mutec MC-3+ USB, excellent front end.

Depending on the age of your DAC and its USB implementation I would suggest looking at DDCs. In my system the Audio Breeze DU-U8 (Talema) was excellent, the Mutec better (at a cost).

You have probably read a lot about PSUs. I am currently using the IFI and have an Sbooster on order. I did buy a cheap 7.5V PSU, to reduce mR heat, don't bother - quickly binned.

M

My DAC(mytek DSD 192 with 1.8.3 firmware) could not recognized by Microrendu after the firmere 2.3 upgrade. And the time to get into "Manage" page is extremely long compared to before. It looks like the clock could not be locked on USB2. Any resolution or suggestion that I can do?

Thanks!

Update Notice:

Over the next 24 hours your units should display in Software Manager that a new version 2.3 is available for update. If you can't wait you can power cycle the unit and the new vision should appear right away. This update is not reversible.

New to version 2.3:

1. We have updated to the latest version of Logitech Media Server (LMS) running on the unit.

2. SqueezeLite now supports native DSD. Both .DFF and .DSF are supported up to DSD256. This update also supports native DSD to the Amanero USB interface (beta feature) found on DIY DACs and on some Lampizator DACs. From Settings / SqueezeLite there is a new DSD dropdown menu where you can select: None, DoP, Native DSD, and Native DSD (Amanero). In order to stream native DSD you will need a version of LMS that also supports native DSD. LMS on the sonicTransporter, SonicOrbiter SE, and a second microRendu supports native DSD streaming to SqueezeLite. For your convenience we will start to offer a combo deal (microRendu / sonicTransporter / iFi) right on the microRendu product page.

3. RoonReady has been upgraded to the latest per a request Roon Labs. Also, we have improved the post update process based on feedback from customers.

4. The Linux Kernel for the unit has been updated to add support for additional devices that support native DSD. The complete list of supported devices is found here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonicorbiter-native-direct-stream-digital-support-27418/

Please follow this update procedure if you have not done so already:

1. Go to Apps and select Software Manager

2. Now select Update

3. Wait for "Back to main menu" to appear at the bottom of the screen and ignore any Complete notices. Failure to allow this step to complete could brick your unit. Do not attempt this update on an unstable network. Sonore is not responsible if you brick your unit, but we can help you recover from it.

4. Power cycle your unit.

5. Optional - When the unit boots up if you are having issues go to Settings and from the configuration page look things over and press Save.

Enjoy!

I play 24/192 WAV via the mR, I wouldn't touch Apple with the 200' battle lance.

In terms of the modes: I have worked my way through the list, with the exception of Roon. In my system they sound subtly different, but all good.

I am currently switching between LMS and MPD/DLNA (Synology Media Server / Bubbleupnp via Kazoo). This is processed through a Mutec MC-3+ USB, excellent front end.

Depending on the age of your DAC and its USB implementation I would suggest looking at DDCs. In my system the Audio Breeze DU-U8 (Talema) was excellent, the Mutec better (at a cost).

You have probably read a lot about PSUs. I am currently using the IFI and have an Sbooster on order. I did buy a cheap 7.5V PSU, to reduce mR heat, don't bother - quickly binned.

M

Hi mate, thanks for the reply. My Peachtree 220se's DAC and Async USB work really with my 8 year old Windows laptop, so going to the microRendu should be a good improvement - not only in sound quality but in removing the hassle of turning on the PC at all.

LMS is running on your PC/Mac? I'm trying to completely part with a PC/Mac though.

Thanks for the info about the 7.5v PSU. Even though you're upgrading to an sbooster, have you been happy with the iFi 9v?

Cheers!

My DAC(mytek DSD 192 with 1.8.3 firmware) could not recognized by Microrendu after the firmere 2.3 upgrade. And the time to get into "Manage" page is extremely long compared to before. It looks like the clock could not be locked on USB2. Any resolution or suggestion that I can do?

Thanks!

I also have some issues with the Mytek after the upgrade. "no lock" between the DAC and mR, and even though the mR is visible on the network and reachable via web interface, none of the core server programs ( Roon, LMS, HQP) can "see" the mR.

I wrote Jesus directly on Saturday, and he responded that he is working on something. I assume it has to do with the linux driver for the Mytek 192 built into the SonicOribter OS. I'm also assuming there will be a "fix" soon.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I also have some issues with the Mytek after the upgrade. "no lock" between the DAC and mR, and even though the mR is visible on the network and reachable via web interface, none of the core server programs ( Roon, LMS, HQP) can "see" the mR.

I wrote Jesus directly on Saturday, and he responded that he is working on something. I assume it has to do with the linux driver for the Mytek 192 built into the SonicOribter OS. I'm also assuming there will be a "fix" soon.

There is a mismatch on one file for it's driver. I have isolated the issue and we just need to rebuild the driver and test things. It's going to take a little while longer. Please use the USB 1.0 input in the mean time.

I'm using Synology DiskStation as my DLNA server and Kazoo as the controller and I have no issue streaming ALAC at 24/192.

I'm using Synology DiskStation as my DLNA server and Kazoo as the controller and I have not issue streaming ALAC at 24/192.

Nice! I thought I had read of ALAC issues earlier but perhaps I'm confused about something different.

I need to find out if QNAP's Music Station app supports 24-bit music (both FLAC and ALAC) natively.

If any Qnap users are aware, could you please let me know. I may ask in the Qnap forum too.

Thanks again :-)

I'm using kazoo to control music via DNLA output on microrendu. I have also been on a trial with Roon, using RoonReady output and doing comparisons to decide if I want to pay for Roons great interface. At first I thought Roon had a slight edge. But with more time to compare I think I've come to the opposite conclusion. It is very close call on my system. I have not tried HQplayer and don't want to go there yet. In short, the DNLA output is no "set back" in my experience, and the controllers (kazoo or lumin) are not only nice, but also free.

My experience too.

rogerdn