IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

Hi, I currently run a mac mini into a cheap smsl dac. I'm looking to upgrade in a value orientated way and have couple of questions.

1. how does the microrendu compare with best of similarly priced usb/spdif converters? Would a decent spdif converter with Mac mini be bettered by the microrendu?

2 does it make sense to use a USB to spdif converter with microrendu, would it improve further?

3 do higher end dacs nullify the impact of microrendu or spdif converters? (Because they clean up the signal internally?

Thanks, Tom

Comparing the microRendu to a USB to SPDIF converter is not appropriate because they perform different functions. The microRendu is intended to replace whatever you currently have for local playback in a streaming capacity. Put another way you will use your existing computer or NAS only to send it streams. The microRendu will no be nullified by the DAC used.

Hi, I understand that they perform different functions but, from what I understand, they can both be used to improve sound quality. So let's say I have $700 to spend. I could use it to replace my mac mini with a microrendu and get a cleaner usb output, Or I could buy a $700 usb-spdif converter for the mac mini. Both with a view to improving SQ but which is likely to have a more siginificant impact?

If the MAC Mini is your only computer, the mRendu can't replace it. The mRendu requires another computer (Mac Mini, PC, NAS) in order to work. It is connected to this other computer by means of Ethernet cable on your home network and as such isolates it from the noise coming from the other computer. Besides isolating from this noise, it has very good USB output, is fanless (low noise), and low power requirements (again low noise) heading into your DAC.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Yes, that I understand, but thanks for clarifying. I just mean replace as the audio renderer/streamer from nas.

What I'm not clear about is how the effect of all that low noise compares with say a good usb-spdif converter or better dac.

Obviously a mac mini is more flexible/powerful than the microrendu so if similar gains can be achieved by spending those $ on usb converter or better dac then that would be preferable to me. But if consensus is that the microrendu is able to achieve sonic improvements beyond what can be achieved by spending similar $ on usb converter or Dac then it starts to become good value despite the reduced functionality.