IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

Anyone using the mR with the 9V output of a HDPLEX 100W LPS?

I notice volume is somewhat lower than I was getting using a Regen into a NUC sever. Consequently, even though SQ is much improved in terms of digital harshness, detail etc the sound is somewhat anaemic.

Running mine the same (ipower before) set at 7v and if anything I've not noticed your issue. I'll say that the HDPLEX sounds more musical to me; the iPower seemed to have more "inky blackness" to it, but it almost seemed artificial at times. With the HD the music seems to flow better, more natural, without any 'hifi' artifacts (that said the iPower is very good for what it is). Hope you figure it out.

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

• 2 weeks later...

I transcode flac(5) to Wav24 with minimserver on my Vortexbox as a matter of practice since I was/am using the Unitiqute as my streamer. It does sound better (on the microrendu too), the hypothesis being the streamer has less to do not having to unpack the flac file. Or whatever. Easy to do, costs nothing.

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

I see the same thing, 32 bit for 24. Lumin is far from a perfect app though. Kazoo either. Nor the Naim app. My poor wife is really confused.

I like the browser function of Lumin in genre and artists, but it really needs visible play controls in all windows. Kazoo is neater but slower, and same tree type navigation to genres. Tried mConnect but couldn't get it to be stable.

Hey, how about Sonore create a player software combining the best of all, and charge for it? :)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi.......I have recently moved to Roon core on an iMac feeding a microRendu into a Chord 2Qute DAC and the sound is without doubt the best I've had in my home set-up.

I'd like some advice please re the PSU's for both.

Currently i'm using the standard walwart switchers that came with them but plan to upgrade to Teddy Pardo. I have the option of individual 2A PSU's for each or a duel 2A PSU with 7v and 12v. The duel option would be cheaper but more importantly prevent space issues on my rack. Therefore my question is "Is the duel option a compromise as there is not complete isolation for both microRendu and 2Qute"?

Thanks

Paul

Why Teddy Pardo? Anyway, I run an HDPLEX with four rails, and thought my mR and Vortexbox sounded better when not run together (the HD also ran hot) but of course the VB is 5a. But they are now on separate circuits so who knows (I added a HK el cheapo to the Vortexbox in the meantime and it does sound better). Multiple rails is a better investment for potential resale I think since you are not tied into just one voltage/amp combo and therefore can interest more buyers. So maybe try the dual rail first, and then another ps later if you feel the need. Or get an HDPLEX. And if money's tight then the Chinese ones aren't bad, at least for things like nas's and switches.

• 1 month later...

I stream my flacs (all Redbook) in minimserver with a setting of WAV24 and it makes a small difference, perhaps more when I was using a Naim streamer instead of the mR. But I can still discern a subtle difference for the better. Still on an older version of minim and Vortexbox (2.2).

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, a better linear power supply will take much of that edge off. Also, what ethernet cable are you using? The microRendu is sensitive (as it should be) to whatever comes before it. It'll show you everything, good or bad!

Mmmm, pretty sure he was talking about his new power supply. Quality of NAS. power supply on it, power supply on switches, and quality of ethernet cable all make a difference. Think of the microRendu as the turntable, and the bas, etc that comes before it as the vinyl. The cleaner the vinyl the better it will sound.

Well, then maybe you can explain to me why it wouldn't. The microRendu is amazing, but it's not magic. I could hear the difference between a meico ethernet cable and an audioquest cinnamon so why wouldn't what comes before make a difference?

Steve, I'm with you about being sensible. I don't power my router with a linear supply and I just use a good quality / affordable Ethernet cables from Blue Jean Cable Company. I do have my Ethernet cables made to length, but only to keep things neat. Anyway, that does not mean people will not try to tweak whatever they can and I'm not going to argue with them about perceived improvements (real or imaginary). This is a hobby after all.

Well, I'm certainly not breaking the bank here (one reason I researched out the rendu)! $550 all in for three power supplies. I put the cheap Chinese supply on the Netgear 105 switch a long time ago, before many many other upgrades, but it did take a care of a persistent cricket chirp I had noticed in the background. So for $800 why the heck not. Another thing to keep in mind is that the cleaner power should lengthen the life of your appliance, esp if you can get it to run cooler.

Of course it's all system dependent. My daughter recently toppled one of my Ls50's and stand. The bowl of yogurt that was in her hand and being fed to the gold driver shattered directly on the driver and thankfully stopped the fall on her foot from being worse. They are repaired, but... I never felt they were right for my amp/room. So my dealer had factory second Rega RX3's for $1300 (can't find a flaw myself). Much better all rounders for my small side amp and tuck up against the wall nicely. Most importantly, I took the spikes off, and blue tacked them straight to the floor - which happens to be the biggest upgrade - the $75,000 remodel of the downstairs. Who needs fancy rhodium diamond tip spikes? Brand new 3/4 sawn Oak floor and new subfloor; rock wall in the ceiling and walls, cabinets along the back, heavy french pocket doors to close off room from the rest of the house. Just about anything sounds good in here! So the rest is, like Jesus says fun. But I haven't spent over $125 for cables (used NACA 5 speaker) and am over the moon with the sound.

I'm an ex rock photographer (all those grunge pics back in the day , Cobain sprawled on the drum kit etc) with raging tinnitus (getting better) and for the first time in my life, at 52, I have a real hifi, not just what I could cobble. The microRendu took it places I never thought I could get on a freelancer's budget. The rest is just small refinements on the base. Probably the last tweak is new speaker cables (Tellurium Q black or ultra-blue) but my wife likes things like that to give for Xmas so I'll be patient and nice. ;)

I was just trying to encourage him. People read these posts and feel like the need to do X, Y and Z to get great sound. Try and imagine the questions I get via email. Our intention is for people to use their existing infrastructure (computer, NAS, network) and add the microRendu as an endpoint in their audio room. Beyond that people are free to experiment or not.

The we agree to agree! If I was in your shoes I would say the same. It's all system dependent. I'm lucky in that my service in, modem, Vortexbox, switches, power supplies, etc, are on the top shelf of my camera closet in my office directly below the hifi. So everything is maximized for very short runs and separate circuits for not very much $.

And you know, I've heard my friend's $250,000 (retail - not what he payed) Naim, Kudos Titan, Chord sarum, system and it was great. But I think my carefully placed $7k system gets me probably 92% of the way there. And even if I knew how to make that other $243,000, I can think of a lot of other things I'd rather do with it.

Now, how off topic are we? I just want to say thank you, the microRendu (plus HDPLEX for now) has been kind of life changing for me. my amp is the weak point now, but I love the sound, it was a gift from my wife, and looks bad ass vintage. Now how off topic are we....? :)

Received my microRendu back yesterday after sending it in for the 1.4 upgrade and a new card due to an update kernel panic. Lightning quick turnaround from Adrian.

Absolutley jaw dropping sound - I really didn’t expect it to be this much better or obvious. If anyone hasn’t done the 1.4 upgrade yet I would jump on it before the boards are gone. I feel like this is an endgame for me (famous last words) and have no desire to go to an Ultra if the 1.4 is getting me close, as others have said. Great job Sonore and thank you! 

Phew, just made it under the wire for the 1.4 board! 

Well, if the 1.4 board upgrade I just did with my microRendu is any indication, much better  (guess it gets one to within 10-20% of the Ultra performance). I rally couldn't be happier. But if I was starting new, and had the $, I'd future proof myself by going with the Ultra, though $499 is a good price for the micro. Of course you could also wait a year or two for the inevitable SuperDuperUltraMegaOkRendu. ;)

Sorry, but I think it's gone, daddy, gone. Maybe they'll print some new boards and revitalize it if there's enough interest, though I doubt it.

• 7 months later...

If it’s 1.4 it should have a big white sticker on the side saying as such. The only way to get a 1.4 board was sending the mR in for an upgrade, and since this cost over $200 I would expect anyone selling to advertise as such (and leave the sticker on). I would imagine it’s a 1.3. I got one of the very last 1.4 boards and that was about a year ago (?).