IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

• 2 weeks later...

I have some words of encouragement for potential customers. I got home with my uRendu this afternoon and it took precisely 10 minutes to configure it to work with Roon & HQPlayer up sampling to DSD128 running on a Mac Mini. Complete plug & play, no mysteries, no struggles.

Now I've only been listening for a couple of hours which means there's another 48 hours of burn in (or so) to go. But there's a huge grin on my face and its only getting wider. This little device is transformational.

My next stop will be to upgrade the power supply (I purchased the $50 el cheapo from Sonore).

Executive summary is "come on in, the water is lovely". And my hats off to Jesus and his team for producing such an excellent product.

• 2 months later...

Hi Jesus

I received my uRendu in the July batch and I'm loving it. A quick Q - have any of the subsequent software releases improved SQ at all? Is it worth me asking the unit to download an update? I work on the basis that if it ain't broke, don't fix it ;-)

Nikko

We are just working on routine stuff. I'll leave it up to you to update or not.

Jesus

How do you expect me to arrive at a decision whether to update my uRendu or not in the absence of any information as to whether the process will yield practical benefit? As I see it from here, the possible scenarios are: (a) "the changes we have made are bug fixes/functional enhancements but nothing we have done affects the sound quality of the uRendu"; or (b) "we have made some changes but we're not sure if they affect the sound quality or not"; or © "yes, the changes we have made will affect the sound quality (for better or worse) but we will leave it up to you as to whether to update or not".

Are there any other possibilities?

You guys make the changes to your software and presumably you perform regression tests. So you should be able to give me a straightforward answer (a), (b) or © please. I'm sure I'm not the only customer wanting to know whether we should upgrade software or not and under what circumstances.

Nikko

Sound quality wise this is a complex question so I generally do not get into it. I know there are companies that do this, but it's not my style. The goal here is to provide a stable platform for you to enjoy your music. This involves routine maintenace and includes from time to time new features.

Maybe I'm missing something. Isn't your reply a bit like, as an analogy, Ferrari saying that they've made some changes to their engine management software but they have no idea if the car will go any faster or not as a result?

Your whole product is about delivering industry-leading SQ just as much as Ferrari are about providing top performance and handling. If your software updates are intended to be consumed by your customers solely to add features and/or stability, then why not say so? Personally, I think it's a perfectly OK statement to make. If you did so, since my unit delivers perfectly good sound and is stable, then I will not need to update its software. If your software changes at some future point deliver some improved SQ, then why would you not tell your customers and allow them to benefit by updating the software? And if that never comes about, who cares? But you're not saying one way or the other and your refusal to engage on this topic is illogical.

Nikko1960, it might be more productive to upgrade the software in your mRendu and post your opinion here whether you hear an improvement in SQ.....

With the greatest of respect, that's not my job. Having worked in the software products business for three decades, I have learned the hard way that one should never change software releases without a well understood reason for doing so.

Furthermore, any *mature* products business will always publish release notes against each software release that states what's changed and what problems are known within the release. People are then informed as to whether to use the release or not.

1 hour ago, firedog said:

Glad to hear it. Sensible approach.

Each person needs to figure out which of the mR or uR makes sense for them in terms of features and price and buy that one.

I'm already getting tired of the bellyaching from mR owners that a better, more expensive product is coming out. No one is forcing you to buy it. Don't. Wait another year or two and maybe there will be an even better super ultra. Rendu and you can chortle at all the early adopters "stuck" with an ultraRendu.

Anyone notice that SOtM came out with an "ultra" SMS-200, even more expensive than the uR, in less time than will be between the mR and uR? 

That's the way it goes...

Although I could suggest this to Jesus: consider giving present mR owners $100 disount on purchase of an ultraRendu if they send you an mR as a trade in. That way you could make a gesture to present customers, and sell the traded in mR (with an upgrade board) as a "refurbished" new model mR. 

I like your thinking!  Bit like the commercial policies of Lampizator.

• vortecjr pinned this topic
  • 4 months later...

Hi there

I posted this earlier in the main Sonore board but nobody answered :-(

A friend has a iFi nano iOne and is just about to bid for an original release uRendu on eBay.  I read in a review that "The Nano iONE is powered by any USB phone charger-type wall wart and a USB cable. "

In the chain I envisage, the uRendu will connect to the inbound music stream over ethernet, convert it into a low noise USB stream and then feed it to the iFi via its USB port.  Question is, does the iFi get its power supply from the uRendu (which in turn will be powered by iFi's Power wall wart power supply)?  Does this work, or are the two devices incompatible for this reason?

I tend to think they should be compatible because others on this forum seem to use iFi DACs together with uRendu.  But I would appreciate confirmation before my chum takes the next step.

Thanks

Nikko

7 hours ago, buzzlulu said:

To Microrendu users who have heard the UltraRendu - How much better is the UltraRendu?

I was over visiting Florida from the UK a couple of weeks ago and Adrian from Sonore kindly dropped off an UltraRendu at my hotel.  Originally, I was a customer of the first MicroRendu and, later on, I had that unit upgraded by VortexBox in the UK with the new board/clock.

I'm not going to give you a load of bullshit bingo words about how the sound improved along the way.  Suffice to say that the last step from the upgraded MicroRendu to Ultra is definitely worth it IMHO and it was not a subtle improvement either. If anyone is interested, I power the unit with a Paul Haynes supply which is also highly recommended (if you are prepared to deal with extended delivery times and idiosyncratic communications).

Nikko

ps - I've largely recouped the cost of the Ultra by selling my upgraded MicroRendu to a pal.  As Sonore have ended this upgrade program, you will most likely find that original MicroRendu customers will become willing buyers for upgraded units in the future.