IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

I need a advice. My expensive DAC do not support USB. For the time beeing im using a Squeezebox with Roon. (LMS before)

i have the hiFace EVO II with clock and power, that has not been used for some time.

How will a USB to spdif converter work with the mR ?

I guess there is a reason why the mR was not designed with a spdif interface, or maybe not ?

Any taughts how my hiFace with the mR will sound compared to my SBT ?

The SBT use standard power, (and EDO), and if i purchase the mR i will start with the iFi power.

Jesus, I have the M2tech Hiface Evo Two combined with the rendu and it sounds amazing. I recently tried to add the new Word/Master Clock piece that they sell separately as an add on unit. When I power on everything, I notice signal has a hard time locking on and it continually crashes the rendu. I have tried different sequences in powering everything up with no luck. Have you had others who are trying to use the M2tech Master clock have this issue?

Have you found a solution to this issue ?

I would suggest that read Chris' review on this site. He used the µRendu extensively via a Berkeley Audio USB-SPDIF converter and reported superb performance.

Actalluy if I understand his review correctly, he never used the USB interface on the DAC's as the Berkely Audio USB-SPIDF was used allways.

"My signal path for this review looks like this: NAS > Cisco Switch > microRendu > Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB > Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC Reference Series 2 > Constellation Audio Inspiration PreAmp 1.0 > Constellation Audio Inspiration Mono 1.0 amps > TAD CR1 loudspeakers. Ethernet cabling is AudioQuest Vodka, audio cabling is Wire World Platinum Eclipse 7. I also try DACs connected directly to the power amps when this capability exists in the DAC."

So it seems that Chris prefeer to use the SPDIF input on DAC's tested.

Interesting. Thanks for enlightning me :-)

You didn't understand my review correctly.

Well, then I'm a bit confused.

I'm trying to understand if the mR works well with an USB-SPDIF converter, as I thaught the mR was intended to be used with a USB DAC. (Only ?)

Do you have any idea if an Berkely or hiFace or any converter will affect the SQ ?

Did you test a DAC by using both the USB directly from mR, and then the SPDIF by inserting a converter.

I'm asking cause my Theta Genneration VIII does not have a USB input, and will probably never have. And since I own a hiFace Evo, with clock and power, I was hoping the mR may sound better than my Squeezebox Touch.

So I'm seeking some advice before buying.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
So how would one detect or measure #2? e.g. Spectrum Analyzer, Oscilloscope or something else?

I use this one:

6moons audio reviews: Blue Horizon Noise Analyzer

Borrowed at the local Hifi shop.

However it is made by the same company that is making Isotek power conditioners. So can we believe this analyzer ?

My home reads about 350 to 600. Using an old Isol-8 gives me 21.

I know Isotek products will read zero.

In in addition you would need a Isotek Syncro to deal with DC. Isol-8 has products that deal with both types in one unit.

Isol-8 is made by the same man started Isotek.

I guess thees products are most useful for 220 vac marked. Not sure if they make 120 vac versions.

edit:

the noise analyser is for number 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
My microRendu appears to have died. Well, at least I hope it has not, but I cannot get it to work. I made a few changes to my system / rack today. During this time the mR was disconnected. With everything completed, the mR was reconnected to the same PSU and Ethernet connection, but it now does not work. From my computer I am getting a 'no music players found on your network' message. The mR is definitely getting power as it is slightly warm. I have tried a different Ethernet cable, and other kit runs perfectly from the network switch. Is it dead? Is there perhaps some way to reset or test the mR? Help!!

Are you getting any lights on the Ethernet connection ?

Do you know it's IP-address?

Tried to ping it, or use a web interface to contact the mR ?

Or even tried what you did first time setting it up :)

(ref user manual)...

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all. I have a Windows 7 computer/ MicroRendu/Roon/Auralic ( both Vega and Altair), and can not get the driver for either dac to enable. I'm not sure if it's a Windows problem or Roon problem, or even to Micro Rendu problem, but each time, with several different drivers tried, it gives me the " device initiation failure". It seems like a high definition WASAPI driver is the only one it will enable. Probably something I am missing, but any help would be great! Thanks in advance.

What "mode" do you use for the MicroRendu ?

Can Roon see the MicroRendu?

Assuming Roon works for you.

You don't need any drivers in order to use the MicroRendu.

The Micro Rendu does see Roon. I am pretty sure either Auralic likes to see it's Asio driver installed to be correct. I'm not sure I understand the mode question. Thanks

Are the MicroRendu set to Roon ready ?

Have you tried the DAC diagnostic tool ?

What happens when you start to play an album ?

Do you mean Asio driver installed on W7 ?

Also, it seems DSD is not supported:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonore-microrendu-27389/index40.html#post527907 , but I suppose that is not relevant information at the moment.

First off, thanks for your help. I have a Win 7 connected to a wireless router, but use a cat 6 cable to the back of the MicroRendu. Out of the MicroRendu (using the LP1) and Cardas power cable, I connect to TWL Discreet usb cable to my Auralic Altair dac.

Are the MicroRendu set to Roon ready (RAAT) ?

Have you tried the Altair as RAAT?

(Just to verify network and Roon interface)

Does your MicroRendu see the Altair ?

What does the DAC diagnostic tool say ?

The cat 6 goes from the router ?

Not that it's matters, but wouldn't the Vega make more sense to use in the setup you described.

Another question. Probably wrong tread. But need an advice for Black Friday purchase. I use a Qnap for Roon. To access Roon from my iPad takes normally 1 to 3 seconds. Sometimes more. (Have Tidal).

If purchase a Sonic Transporter i5, should I expect a faster response time ?

Is the recommendation to have music stored on the Sonic Transporter (with SSD of cause) ?

Is the power cord a separate one, or can you supply one EU version ?

Will two LPS-1 be able to power the Sonic Transporter ? (5+7 V).

I would expect so, but I have not used a Qnap for Roon. The SSD is pretty much mandatory and it was a recommendation from Roon. The power cord is a standard US version with an IEC connector on the PS end. We do not supply the EU version. For the power supply question you need to ask Uptone Audio. However, I'm not sure you need to go through that effort on the server. I would go with something simpler like the HD-Plex linear supply: Sonore - Home

Thanks.

Is you impression that Tidal also will sound better with the sT ?

Michael Lavorgna test did only include local files I think. So that's why asking.

OK, realise I am a bit late to the party but just received my MicroRendu yesterday and thought prospective buyers might appreciate how it compares to the Auralic Aries which I used for almost 2 years prior. Should note my DAC is the Auralic Aries with LPS so there should be some extra synergy between these 2 Auralic components (in theory).

First thing to say is that considering the MicroRendu is half the price of the Aries it compares very well performance-wise. First thing, this is amazingly compact and a joy to setup/use. Stability is superb, the Aries was a nightmare for me, wired or wireless, UPNP, Openhome, different routers, perhaps my unit has specific issues but it was always dropping out/completely disconnecting. The stability and just all round pleasant user experience of the MicroRendu alone might be enough to cause me to switch sides.

I am using the TeddyPardo PSU straight off the bat, so I don't know how it might sound with a stock PSU. I am using a Cardas Clear USB cable and cheap ethernet cable I found in a drawer somewhere (awaiting a Supra CAT 8 cable coming) The USB cable is a definite improvement on the hard adapter, first conclusion to draw (this was easy)

Squeezelite vs DNLA modes, if there is a difference it isn't massive but I will play with some of the oversampling options available via minimstream later. Using Squeezelite just because of the excellent Squeezecommander android app and Spotify support. Not tried playing music off a USB stick yet either (I believe this is possible with the MicroRendu?) It's a noticeable improvement on the Aries but wasn't really practical for me since all my music is on my NAS.

OK, I am not a great believer in burn-in, I've had it running around 24hrs, if any improvements manifest themselves they will be slight so let's just assume it's reached the required burn-in time. One thing I will say is that I had this thing set up in 10 mins from opening the box streaming music which is to be commended.

Of course now the all important criteria which products live and die by: sound quality. If I could describe the MicroRendu in one word I would say "clean". It's ability to extract detail is superb and noticeably better than the Aries. On Imogen Heap's Hide and Seek near the start there is a sound something like a plate crashing, it is heard on the Aries but with the MicroRendu it is like a light is shone on it. Just to show how emphatic this quality is there is a London Grammar song, I forget which but there is a random digital glitch on one of the tracks near the start, I listened to this album ad nauseum over the years I had my Aries, it wasn't that it was masked or faint, I literally never heard it, the Aries clearly wasn't capable of resolving this level of detail.

It would be pleasing if I could say the MicroRendu outclasses the Aries in all departments, however I'm not able to go this far. One clear advantage the Aries has over the MircroRendu is soundstage, the Aries soundstage is wider, deeper, vocals in particular have more room to breathe. If I listen to a track like London Grammar's If you Wait the Aries just draws you in, it sounds heavenly and totally ethereal, the midrange I feel at times is a little better on the Aries (though this is really close) The MicroRendu has a more compact soundstage (maybe this suits other systems better, I can only speak for my own) it simply lacks the cohesion of the Aries, dare I say it at the risk of perhaps oversimplifying it, it sacrifices musicality for accuracy.

Everything is a just a little more compact/reigned-in than the Aries. Bass is very tight and controlled, the Aries has more "slam" but on some tracks this can result in boominess and drowning out some of the other higher frequency ranges. Sibilance is non-existant on the MicroRendu, this is a clear win versus the Aries which suffers in varying degrees. Treble I give to the edge to the Aries, the MicroRendu treble is a little harsh, hi-hats for example sound more synthetic and as if they have been artifically boosted, whereas the Aries is much smoother( some might say rolled-off), strings sound more liquid for lack of a better word. It just sounds a little more believable on the Aries.

I saw enough good things in the MicroRendu and I realise there is far more tweaking to be done to lift its performance to an even greater level. I think the categories it wins in are: a) Price (at more than half the price) b) better flexibility, use with Squeezelite etc c) better accuracy, for me this was emphatic across the board. d) stability and robustness, compared to the Aries this is a (pleasant!) night and day difference.

Where it comes second best I feel is a) soundstage is definitely not what it is with the Aries, smaller and less "cohesive" b) treble is a little sharp, at times not real sounding (hi-hats) c) Aries has the better "musicality" overall but this difference is not huge and with some tweaking/performanc e optimisation can envision the gap narrowing.

You may like to use this thread

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/auralic-aries-and-sonore-microrendu-listening-impressions-29351/#post567756