IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

Just got back from a two week vacation and the Lumin software that I use with my MicroRendu isn't seeing the MicroRendu. I have rebooted it several times, updated the software (even though it wasn't needed) and powered my iPad off  and on several times and still no change.The Lumin software I use is only seeing my Samsung Smart TV. I had five hours of work this afternoon and no music for the first ninety minutes. Very frustrating.

JC

Finally got things working. All of a sudden, after over an hour and a half of effort, without anything having changed since the reboots, etc, clicking on the Samsung tv in Lumin it brought up the option of connecting to the MicroRendu. This is yet another reason that I'm getting ready to change to Roon!

JC

• 2 months later...

Really need some help here. I sat down to listen to some music last night on my upstairs system. The source equipment is a SonicOrbiter as the Roon core, and an upgraded MicroRendu. When I first turned on the amps, preamp, and DAC, and let them warm up a bit, all looked fine, but I was getting no sound when I selected music from my Roon app on my iPad Pro. I rebooted the SonicOrbiter, and also rebooted the microrendu. Now, the zone shows my Microrendu, but the music only plays out of my iPad! I'm completely confused as to what is out of whack here.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

JC

17 hours ago, vortecjr said:

On the Rendu go to Apps / DAC Diagnostics and make sure your USB device is listed.

On the Rendu go to Settings / RoonReady and press Save.

On Roon go to Settings / Audio and make sure the Rendu is listed and Enabled.

On Roon make sure the Rendu is selected as the Audio Device. 

On the Rendu go to Apps / DAC Diagnostics and make sure your USB device is listed.  - CHECKED and listed

On the Rendu go to Settings / RoonReady and press Save. - DONE

On Roon go to Settings / Audio and make sure the Rendu is listed and Enabled. The Rendu is listed, as a device located on my network, I can find no enable button for it. On other devices founf, there is an enable button, on the Rendu's, in that same place the button would be found, it says zone name and below that the name of the microrendu

On Roon make sure the Rendu is selected as the Audio Device.  - It is selected as the audio device, and at the bottom, right corner of the iPad's Roon screen it shows queue - the Rendu's name, and a speaker with the indicators that it is on

At this point things seem further along than before, but still no music being passed to the DAC thus, no sound. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/21/2019 at 11:59 PM, TubeLover said:

On the Rendu go to Apps / DAC Diagnostics and make sure your USB device is listed.  - CHECKED and listed

On the Rendu go to Settings / RoonReady and press Save. - DONE

On Roon go to Settings / Audio and make sure the Rendu is listed and Enabled. The Rendu is listed, as a device located on my network, I can find no enable button for it. On other devices founf, there is an enable button, on the Rendu's, in that same place the button would be found, it says zone name and below that the name of the microrendu

On Roon make sure the Rendu is selected as the Audio Device.  - It is selected as the audio device, and at the bottom, right corner of the iPad's Roon screen it shows queue - the Rendu's name, and a speaker with the indicators that it is on

At this point things seem further along than before, but still no music being passed to the DAC thus, no sound. 

Also, when I check Zones, the microrendu is shown there, and highlighted as the selected device, and it shows the music being played

I was never able to get this issue resolved. Mostly because I've been all but disabled by a severe hip/back, nerve issue. Things have just improved in the last day or two, and obviously, finding a  resolution to be able to listen to music in my office/den was on my mind. Especially now, as once I am in one part of the house, I essentially need to stay there for long periods as movement is very difficult. 

A friend thought the issue might have been the Mutec, although I didn't feel it was likely, as the Mutec shows when music is being sent to it via a pattern of lights, and it was not showing that it was receiving anything. Just to be safe, I inserted a very basic USB to SPDIF converter that my friend loaned me (being used in his bedroom system) into the system earlier tonight. 

After trying repeatedly, using both the Mutec and the other converter, now Roon does not see the Microrendu at all, only my iPad Pro. The SonicOrbiter does see it, but not Roon. I have rebooted Roon several times, rebooted the Microrendu and done everything else I can think of. My frustration level is extremely high, given how many hours I spent previously. I have to get the system upstairs working at playing music. 

At this point, any assistance whatsoever would be immensely appreciated. 

JC

Update, I have now at least been able to get back to where I was when the original problem appeared. We had a huge storm hit the area earlier, knocked out power (thank God for my whole home generator) and Comcast had some issues, They now appear to have cleared up, but were, no doubt, responsible for my earlier issues tonight. 

So, I followed the original directions from Jesus, back two months ago:

"On the Rendu go to Apps / DAC Diagnostics and make sure your USB device is listed.

On the Rendu go to Settings / RoonReady and press Save.

On Roon go to Settings / Audio and make sure the Rendu is listed and Enabled.

On Roon make sure the Rendu is selected as the Audio Device."

So, the Mutec is indeed listed as the USB device, Rendu is listed and enabled, and showing on Roon. Everything looks exactly as it should, but no music is playing back, although my iPad Pro clearly shows it being played. And once again, the Mutec is not showing that it is receiving any music, as the lights that indicate that are not on. I'm lost, as I was before when this started.

JC

Next update. Jesus' last suggestion was:

"In Apps / DAC Diagnostics look for a Momentary Frequency. for this you have to start playback and refresh the webpage. If a Momentary Frequency is listed then the Rendu is receiving the stream. With a Momentary Frequency listed the issue would likely be elsewhere. Could be the DAC analog stage, some hidden volume control, or interconnect issue, amp, etc."

Looked in Apps/DAC Diagnostics. Momentary frequency is listed. I'm aware of no hidden volume controls. I have checked and verified every connection, and different preamplification and power amplification is in place and different cables from the DAC to preamp.. That would only seem to leave the DAC, but again, I can see from the Mutec that it is receiving no music feed. Which means nothing is being passed to the DAC. Just to work from a clean slate, I would swap out the DAC, but the only other one I have is amongst the largest, heaviest DAC's in existence, and I'm unfortunately not physically able to pick it up and carry it up a flight of stairs in my current condition. And again, with the Mutec seeing no musical information being sent to it, I have to seriously question the DAC being the issue. So again, I seem to be at an impasse. And even further frustrated. 

JC   

• 1 month later...

I'm suddenly having a very strange issue, for the first time, with what appears to be either the Microrendu or, at the very least the extremely useful Shairport software. Here is what is happening. I was using the system to listen to the WFMT stream of "The Midnight Special" program earlier this week. That stream sometimes has an occasional odd problem, and at first, I thought it must just be that. During the musical selections they play on a given weeks show, sometimes at the beginning of a song, sometimes in the middle, or sometimes all that way through a song (though that is rare) the music becomes distorted, to varying degrees, and occasionally suddenly actually sped up. 

Last night, the same thing happened on a completely unrelated music stream from Music From The Hearts Of Space. Clearly, it was not tied to whatever was being streamed. There were also two different iPad's involved, so that eliminates an individual iPad or their Airplay software/interface. It also happened, on the one occasion, while using an integrated amp, and on the second occasion, on a headphone amp. That seems to leave only the MicroRendu or "possibly" the Shairport software? 

I tried power failing the MicroRendu, rebooting it, restarting Shairport, nothing changes the fact that it still appears at times during a 2-3 hour streaming listening session. My software on the MicroRendu is also up to date. Any thoughts, assistance or recommendations on how to address this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

JC 

6 hours ago, vortecjr said:

I haven't heard of this before. What version of Sonic Orbiter do you have?

Version 2.7. Although I would not have thought that the sonicorbiter would be involved in using Shairport and the MicroRendu?

And this I agree this is a very strange problem. While streaming last night, there were seven interruptions of distortion over the two hours I listened. They varied from a kind of high pitched screeching, to slowing down to almost silence except for a few slow sounds, to sputtering back and forth from normal to distorted and back again, sometimes briefly speeding up, and down, to the aforementioned speeding up. And again, I believe I have isolated this to the MicroRendu, and/or the Shairport app, or, the Sonic Orbite, in addition, "if" it is actually involved. And please note that this only happens as described, it has never happened in Roon playback. 

JC

2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Weird! I don't know how to help you except to ask some questions. Does this happen with other Airplay streams? Which DAC? What are the network devices? router, switch, etc.    

I agree this is strange indeed. I only really use the two streams, each from completely different sources, one from an FM station, one from an online music subscription. In the past, there has not been a problem with either. I've tried two different DAC's without any change. And, I did discuss the matter with someone involved in DAC design, and he ruled that out, saying it was simply not possible for a DAC to speed up a stream, that only whatever source was playing the music could remotely have that effect. The other components are a standard, Comcast/Xfinity cable modem (about six months old) and a top of the line Linksys WRT1900ACS router. 

JC