IGNORED

DAC - PPA Music server with PPA V4 usb card connection problem.

I am using a PPA built musicserver and Stello D700 dac Connected with usb.

When connecting dac to motherboard usb ports everything Works fine.

When connecting to PPA V4 usb board I am not able to make it work.

Picture showing Device Manager With dac Connected to PPA V4 usb board.

DAC - PPA_V4.jpg

Music server is built with Asus B85M-G Intel 1150 motherboard.

It is running a newly installed Win10 pro 64 os.

Dac has Xmos based usb input, and Thesycon driver for this is installed i newest win 10 Version from April Music Version 1.61.0.

Renesas Controller / driver for PPA usb card installed.

Also tryed With native Win 10 renesas driver for PPA usb card with the same result.

When connecting other things, like usb memory pen, to PPA usb card, this Works fine.

Dac is Connected directly to musicserver with a standard 1,5m usb cabel.

Help solving this problem would be most appreciated

Andervik Audio

In my setup I have the v2 not v3/4. In order to see my DAC with v2 and Renesas driver I had to turn off (disable) the Intel driver, then it connected. Down side for me was less USB ports available but I only need one.

If you need those USB ports on the Intel, then this will not help, but worth a try to see if you can then see the DAC if the Intel is disabled. Easy enough to re-enable once done testing..

My machine with the PPA v2 is Win 2012R2 Essentials + AO 1.4

Thank you for your reply dtb300.

Tryed to disable the intel usb3.0 controller, and restarted server.

Still not working. Yellow warning on Xmos subdevice still there.

Connected usb mouse to PPA card with Intel usb 3.0 controller disabled, and the mouse was working.

Andervik Audio

I am using a PPA built musicserver and Stello D700 dac Connected with usb.

When connecting dac to motherboard usb ports everything Works fine.

When connecting to PPA V4 usb board I am not able to make it work.

Picture showing Device Manager With dac Connected to PPA V4 usb board.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23713[/ATTACH]

Music server is built with Asus B85M-G Intel 1150 motherboard.

It is running a newly installed Win10 pro 64 os.

Dac has Xmos based usb input, and Thesycon driver for this is installed i newest win 10 Version from April Music Version 1.61.0.

Renesas Controller / driver for PPA usb card installed.

Also tryed With native Win 10 renesas driver for PPA usb card with the same result.

When connecting other things, like usb memory pen, to PPA usb card, this Works fine.

Dac is Connected directly to musicserver with a standard 1,5m usb cabel.

Help solving this problem would be most appreciated

It says in the screen shot that it can't find a driver. Did you install the driver from this location?

Are you able to play Hi resolution audio from a MOBO usb port? Sounds like the PPA USB card works fine.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

I have tryed to update Xmos subdevice driver automatically, but no driver is found.

The Thesycon driver, for the dac, installs with a setup manager that does the installation for me, so I don't know if it is possible to install in any other way.

Not shore what Xmos Subdevice that has a warning meens?

I assumed that dac driver was ok since everything works when using motherboard usb?

Andervik Audio

I have tryed to update Xmos subdevice driver automatically, but no driver is found.

The Thesycon driver for the dac installs with a setup manager that does the installation for me, so I don't know if it is possible to install in any other way.

I assumed that dac driver was ok since everything works when using motherboard usb?

Are you playing ASIO to the DAC or thru Windows with Foobar. If you play Hi Resolution audio do you get get the same sample rate at the DAC? In other words what driver/audio path have you selected in Foobar?

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

The Thesycon driver, for the dac, installs with a setup manager that does the installation for me, so I don't know if it is possible to install in any other way.

You have the ability to manually install device driver .inf files from within Device Manager. Only works with .inf, not .exe files. Just navigate to the driver folder. Worth a shot.

Are you playing ASIO to the DAC or thru Windows with Foobar. If you play Hi Resolution audio do you get get the same sample rate at the DAC? In other words what driver/audio path have you selected in Foobar?

I am usually playing Foobar with ASIO plugin.

But I check in controlpanel sounds to see if "Xmos.." is avaliable to choose as receiver.

It is, when connected to motherboard, but not when connected to PPAv4.

Andervik Audio

Try Kilroy's advice and install the driver manually. You could also uninstall the driver and try reinstalling for the entire system. See if it just got knocked out on the USB PPA with your intermittent issues before.

You have the ability to manually install device driver .inf files from within Device Manager. Only works with .inf, not .exe files. Just navigate to the driver folder. Worth a shot.

The "driver" downloaded here is an application that installs the needed files, and I am not able to open it and find files inside.

Andervik Audio

Pang finally replyed, and is sending me a new PPA v4 usb card.

This will hopefully solve the remaning usb problems.

Good news.

My card is bad too and he hasn't acknowledged it despite many emails.

Ugh...this makes me really nervous since I am planning on buying a Paul Pang V4 card.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I purchased the v3 card and it has been perfect.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

I purchased the v3 card and it has been perfect.

I purchased the V3 about 10 days ago. Hope it works too. I don't anticipate any problems but who knows. Using it with an ASUS MAXIMUS VII GENE MB. The JPlay JCAT USB just won't work with this MB. I thought about getting a different type MB but it's a fanless build and too much work to rip out and redo the heatpipes.

PC with PPA Studio V3 USB card > LH Labs LPS4 > Light Harmonic LightSpeed 10G Split > LH Labs Pulse X ∞ > DHC Complement 4 Ag > Fostex TH900

I purchased the V3 about 10 days ago. Hope it works too. I don't anticipate any problems but who knows. Using it with an ASUS MAXIMUS VII GENE MB. The JPlay JCAT USB just won't work with this MB. I thought about getting a different type MB but it's a fanless build and too much work to rip out and redo the heatpipes.

What's the issue between the JCAT and the mobo? I was looking at this card too. Did the JPlay guys take the card back?

What's the issue between the JCAT and the mobo? I was looking at this card too. Did the JPlay guys take the card back?

JCAT card worked fine with the V GENE MB. When I did a new build using the VII GENE MB it just won't boot with the card in. Had the JCAT card for close to 1.5 years and love it but if it won't work then, like I said I don't want to redo the heatpipes, it's time to try the PPA V3. After that much time I wouldn't expect the JPlay team to take it back. No help from ASUS as to why that card causes the fail on startup. Their Tech Support was pretty much useless with this particular problem. If the PPA card works then the JCAT will be up for sale.

PC with PPA Studio V3 USB card > LH Labs LPS4 > Light Harmonic LightSpeed 10G Split > LH Labs Pulse X ∞ > DHC Complement 4 Ag > Fostex TH900

@andervt

I had the same problem when I installed windows 10 Pro. My DAC is not the same as yours but the symptoms were precisely the same. Installer program would run but the driver wasn't installed and I got that same error at Device Manager. Contacted my DAC manufacturer and they told me that happened because the driver wasn't a signed driver and they gave me the procedure to turn off Win 10 Pro signed driver enforcement so that other drivers could be installed.

I did that and the driver installed successfully and no problems ever since.

The procedure I followed was similar to the one described here:

Windows 10: Disable Signed Driver Enforcement

• 3 months later...

I finally got a New card and ocxo clock from Pang.

After installing I still have the same problems as before.

Abel to play With usb on motherboard, but not With pang card.

Other usb Devices Works on Pang card.

Also tryed to disable signed driver enforcement as Skywatcher kindly recommended.

Reinstalled all drivers, but still have the same problems.

Device manager still says problem With Xmos-L1 subdevice.....

Devicemanager.PNG

Andervik Audio

I finally got a New card and ocxo clock from Pang.

After installing I still have the same problems as before.

Abel to play With usb on motherboard, but not With pang card.

Other usb Devices Works on Pang card.

Also tryed to disable signed driver enforcement as Skywatcher kindly recommended.

Reinstalled all drivers, but still have the same problems.

Device manager still says problem With Xmos-L1 subdevice.....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26455[/ATTACH]

On which PCIe slot is the card connected? Is it a direct connection or do you have a soft connector installed? What motherboard brand and model? Have you installed the latest BIOS?

Also, what is the order of installation? Do you first install the card, then the drivers for the card and only then do you connect your DAC? It seems like there is a conflict here between drivers. From the screen shot I don't believe the driver for the PPA card is installed. The card is based on a NEC USB controller and NEC drivers and I see no reference to NEC anywhere. Also, is there a virus scanner running? Disable it. They can stop unsigned drivers from installing.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

On which PCIe slot is the card connected? Is it a direct connection or do you have a soft connector installed? What motherboard brand and model? Have you installed the latest BIOS?

Also, what is the order of installation? Do you first install the card, then the drivers for the card and only then do you connect your DAC? It seems like there is a conflict here between drivers. From the screen shot I don't believe the driver for the PPA card is installed. The card is based on a NEC USB controller and NEC drivers and I see no reference to NEC anywhere. Also, is there a virus scanner running? Disable it. They can stop unsigned drivers from installing.

Hi Pepsican

The card is connected with a flat cabel to PCI.

Motherboard is Asus B85M-G Intel 1150.

There are no virus scanning running.

The driver for the Nec based card is the one called Renesas... I have tested with old and new drivers.

The latest bios is installed.

The strange thing is that the card works with other things like usb stick, usb hdd and so on.

And the Dac with its installed drivers works fine when connected to the motherboard usb.

Andervik Audio

I had the same mobo sometime back and V4 card and it works fine with both the DACs I have.

Uninstall the DAC driver and then re-install it back again with the USB cable connected to the PPA card. Most DAC drivers tries to identify and recognize their DAC before installing the drivers. If its successful, then you know that the DAC is accessible from the Windows through the PPA card and it should be recognized in the device manager after the driver installation is complete. If it still doesn’t work, you can try different pci-e slot. Did you try tweaking anything in the Bios ?