IGNORED

got windows 10?

Have any of you done the free upgrade yet? If so how I'd it from an audiophile perspective? Basically should just do it or not?

thanks

michale

Living Room

Marantz SR7001

Musical Fidelity V-90 DAC

Oppo BDP-93

Panasonic P50U50 Plasma

Paradigm Monitor 9 V.6

M&K V-75 II Sub

AudioQuest interconnects

Furman PTS-8 surge protection

I tried it on a spare PC and it can't properly communicate with my NAS (ReadyNAS 102) where my music is stored. Apparently it's a known problem which also affects some Synology NASs.

I have one on my desktop. No problem with Synology 1815+ NAS.

Did you try upgrading to the latest NAS firmware ? I'm on DSM 5.2-5644 Update 2

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

You betcha. I was on it like a puppy on a pork chop. Windows 10 seems to be the most stable and effective Microsoft operating system ever. It's far more solid and less resource happy than Win 7 or Win 8.2.

I can't say that I've noticed any difference in sound quality, but then I wasn't expecting there to be one. Even with XP I didn't have any problem playing back music with JRiver.

I have three laptops: a work machine, a music server and a general purpose backup - all are running Win10.

Of all the software that I use there haven't been any issues other than a graphics driver that was loaded as a default and an issue with the latest build where the screen would flash. Both were easy fixes.

I have one on my desktop. No problem with Synology 1815+ NAS.

Did you try upgrading to the latest NAS firmware ? I'm on DSM 5.2-5644 Update 2

Yes I upgraded my firmware, but my NAS still doesn't support SMB3, which I believe is at the heart of the problem. In all other respects, Windows 10 seems to be excellent.

Have you experienced issues with peer file sharing (LAN - computer to computer). I had no issues with mapping drives in Win 7 but Win 10 has been a pain...

Haven't had any problems with other computers on the network, including a Mac. I haven't tried to map a network drive, other than the NAS (which it won't do). I normally do all file sharing via the NAS or Dropbox so haven't explored it in depth.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

Have any of you done the free upgrade yet? If so how I'd it from an audiophile perspective? Basically should just do it or not?

thanks

michale

One friend far more knowledgable than me in computer things once told me: if it works fine don't upgrade unless you have good reasons to believe the new version will prevent disaster.

I have 1 work desktop and 2 laptops at home, 1 laptop being only used for music. Well, I uneventfully upgraded my work desktop and the multi-purpose laptop to Win10 (pretty flawless software, hardly remember the process which was something close to perfection). But I sticked to Win8.1 for my music laptop. I spent countless hours making sure everything was finely tuned for iTunes (not any more), Foobar2000 (still useful in many instances), JRiver (a reference in the field however with movies which I don't use) and now Roon (a work-in-progress but an audio-only very user friendly piece of software), so I am not prepared to spending any more time on this machine before it inevitably becomes obsolete in a couple of years. Yes, all these computers eventually do become old and need replaced, so IMHO it is better to wait until D-Day happens. That said, things would be different if I had the slightest suspicion that Win10 would somehow sound better but I don't think there is any evidence of that being true.

Chris

I upgraded both my laptop and desktop from Win 7 to Win 10 a few months ago. I'm pleased overall, no changes in sound quality, and agree the OS seems snappier. Upgrade was seamless.

I play mostly high-res 24/192, 24/96 and redbook FLAC via Foobar2000, through my Centrance HiFi-M8 via USB. Only thing that's changed for me was I'm starting to get some errors on my laptop when playing music - I think it's the Centrance Win10 USB driver though, they're still working on it and it's still in beta.

I read many reports (on this forum too) that, easily said, 'Win10 sounds better than Win8.1'.

I used highly customized and tweaked Win8.1, as I didn't like many of it's default features.

About half year ago I tried to updade that Win8.1 system to Win10, but I was unsuccessful. Probably some driver incompatibility prevented me to start the upgraded Win10 system normally. I could start it only in Safe Mode. I should add that I tested many DACs in the previous years and therefore I installed many different drivers and also I tested much different SW. I didn't have time to investigate the issue so I used the possibility to revert back to my previous Win8.1 system. I used it until beginning of this year.

I obtained a new 250GB SSD disk so I got the idea to install new Win10 system on it. It went very quickly from an USB stick. I was able to customize my system in the way how looked and how I used my previous Win8.1 within a day-two. So I am using a local account, disabled Microsoft Store, disabled APPS in Start Menu, disabled UAC, disabled check of driver signing (otherwise I couldn't install a driver for my DAC), customized colors using registry tweaks (because Microsoft disabled things which were possible in WinXP) etc. etc. I am a computer guy, so it was probably easier for me than for most of you.

I am now running Win10 without issues. I could still boot my old Win8.1 system, but I don't have that need.

I am using my Win10 system for all I need at home, so it is not a computer dedicated only for audio. People who use dedicated PC for audio only and who are not IT professionals can be naturally more cautious and may use the strategy "do not touch the running system". Especially if that dedicated PC doesn't require internet connection.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

i've upgraded three pcs to windows 10 -- no issues at all with the migration. did have to reinstall a few drivers, but that's easy.

caps v3 server with windows 10 works great -- behaves mostly like windows 7. jrmc 21 sounds fantastic to me!

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

When I updated to 10 from 8.1, the SQ was apparent that 10 was better in my system. When I used Fidelizer with 8.1 it made a huge improvement.

With 10 there is still an improvement, but Fidelizer showed less of an improvement because 10 is very good to start with.

I remember threads talking about 10 was very close to Server 2012. I've never heard 2012, but in my system, 10 was MUCH better than 8.1. YMMV

John Withem

Proprietor

JW Audio.

http://www.jwaudio.net/default.html

Three machines now with Win10.

Mbp 2013 in situ upgrade, total Fu, frozen at login screen. Reinstall from bootcamp in osx with pro and no issue.

Lenovo m93p pro, no issue

Hp Z800 in situ upgrade, only program that failed: JRiver, which was erased, no more problem. Took on all machine drivers, sound forge pro, mp3tag, xplorer, everything works fine. Remarkable!

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

• 2 weeks later...

Upgraded 2 PCs (1 desktop and 1 laptop) to Windows 10 when it was first available. At that time, audio was fine.

I use JRiver on both the desktop and the laptop. The desktop PC has a Juli@XTe sound card (24/192 PCM) and the laptop is hooked up to a Teac UD-301 (PCM/DSD).

Tried out a Technics SU-C700 amplifier (with USB-B input). That worked well for a few days. Then, after some Windows updates, the driver would not work any more (had to return the amp to the store) -- however, the TEAC driver continued to work with the UD-301. Go figure.

After another Windows update, had some timing problems with the Juli@XTe driver. However, this has worked it self out, so no more issues with that.

As for sound quality, I cannot tell the difference between Windows 10 and 8.1, but then I am not using the built-in MS driver.

I am hoping to purchase a Marantz HD-AMP1, when it is available. I'll see how well that works.

mQa is dead!

I tried it on a spare PC and it can't properly communicate with my NAS (ReadyNAS 102) where my music is stored. Apparently it's a known problem which also affects some Synology NASs.

I dunno if it's of interest to anyone else, but just for the record, Windows 10 now supports the Netgear ReadyNAS 102, following a further firmware update.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

I got new Windows 10 installed laptop. But it's too buggy. Some known problems are;

- After sleep, blue screen comes out and reboot automatically.

- File explorer doesn't refresh DVD/CD contents.

- Windows explorer consumes too much CPU causing fan noise. This problem might be related to the above DVD/CD problem.

- Taskbar icon tray disappears. You need reboot for this.

- OS uses 50GB disk and 1.6GB main memory!

• 8 months later...