IGNORED

Mendelssohn Symphonies 3 & 4

Wow, you all are too fast, I just came here to post on this!

I am considering going to a performance featuring Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto plus Mendelssohn's 4th (and, of course, some Midsummer Night's Dream thrown in, because what would a Mendelssohn concert be without some of that? :) ) by the Cincinnati Symphony in a few months. I've been looking around for good performances of the 4th and I see Klemperer listed as a favorite by several, but can't find anywhere to download it, so was considering picking this one up, especially at the discounted rate.

Office: iPod classic/iPad -> Shure SE425 IEM Home: Oppo BDP-83/Synology DS211j -> Integra DTR-7.8 -> Revel speakers

• 3 weeks later...

Forgive me the naive question(s) I am posing here...but when I see specific conductors mentioned (i.e. Klemperer, Abbado, von Dohnanyi), is there a specific "recording year" or version that you all prefer?

For example, I see classicstoday has a shining review of Klemperer's 4th, but that disc is either out of print or not available, and I see a remastered recording of the Mendelssohn 4th / Schumann 4th available on HDTracks, which I presume is a different year/performance. Same for Abbado- I see a release of the 3rd and 4th "alone" from the 1980's, but then a larger collection of the complete symphonies and overtures released in 2001.

It's hard to decide with so many superlative performances out there :) I am wondering if the Klemperer Mendelssohn/Schumann pairing on HDTracks is worth the price premium, or if just going the (gasp) iTunes route for an Abbado/von Dohnanyi is preferable. I see HDTT also has a recording from Munch/BSO available as well.

Anyone have any comments on if the Klemperer HDTracks is worth the premium, or should I just go with an iTunes download of an Abbado/von Dohnanyi? As always, thanks for the civil discussions and helpful recommendations.

Office: iPod classic/iPad -> Shure SE425 IEM Home: Oppo BDP-83/Synology DS211j -> Integra DTR-7.8 -> Revel speakers

• 3 weeks later...
The French magazine Classica that I usually trust well, gives this recording " Choc" in the recently released March 2016 issue.

Maybe I need to give it another spin. I'm surprised to see the album is not yet available on Qobuz. I hope that doesn't mean new Harmonia Mundi releases are not released there any more (repertoire until 2015 seems to be ok).

I listened to this album on Spotify, and in comparison to some of the recommended recordings above, the performance moves at such a fast pace in spots that I don't enjoy it as much. The second movement of the Italian (Andante con moto) in particular sticks out to me- Heras-Casado proceeds through this in 5:07, Abbado in 5:56, Dohnanyi in 5:55.