IGNORED

Did We Overhype USB Audio And Overlook Possible Pitfalls?

Well, I have some Bybee quantum thingies on my main speakers. They actually seem to work!

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

this [sic] kind of pseudo technical marketing language is used in many different product fields, but people only seem to complain about it in high end audio...

I'm only 'complaining' because I have the cables here and can test them, albeit only subjectively, against others I have here. If I bought the Samsung TV that you mentioned and subjectively found its picture terrible, and then inferred that their description was BS, I doubt you would take me to task. But when I do the same with audio...

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

Well, I have some Bybee quantum thingies on my main speakers. They actually seem to work!

Mani.

Yeah. I use them sometimes as well, and have met Jack Bybee a couple of times, he is quite a character and I respect him.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

I'm only 'complaining' because I have the cables here and can test them, albeit only subjectively, against others I have here. If I bought the Samsung TV that you mentioned and subjectively found its picture terrible, and then inferred that their description was BS, I doubt you would take me to task. But when I do the same with audio...

Mani.

Hey Mani, no need to get into an argument, I bear you no ill will, it is just audio after all! I just wanted to point out that you were suggesting the Kimber cables have an engineering problem, and your basis for this was subjective analysis. Nothing wrong with subjective analysis per se, but using it to suggest an engineering problem is not fair.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Mani, most cable companies do not have the resources to measure RF frequency level performance, this much is true. But speculating that the do not have their cables properly measured to insure proper impedance matching is just that, pure speculation. There are plenty of measurement labs out there which can be used to confirm designs, and many manufacturers do use these outside labs to confirm measured performance.

Is this a fact you can verify or just speculation?

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Jud, agreed! One well known case of this to me is that of Jack Bybee's products. BTW, as Jud points out, this approach to marketing is not limited to audio. I recently saw an ad for Samsung's new TV which refers to Quantum tech or some such thing. this kind of pseudo technical marketing language is used in many different product fields, but people only seem to complain about it in high end audio...

Quantum dots are a real thing, and they are actually based on quantum mechanical effects.

Is this a fact you can verify or just speculation?

R

I have worked for a company which made cables, and used an outside lab to get measurements done.

SONORE computer audio

Quantum dots are a real thing, and they are actually based on quantum mechanical effects.

By no means did I mean to criticize Jack's products, I sometimes use them myself. But Jack is well known for not actually revealing anything about how his products work, or what they even are, and giving "explanations" which appear to be intended to protect his IP. Check out the myriad threads at Audio Asylum or DIY Audio if you are interested in more information.

SONORE computer audio

Many, many moons ago I did a research project titled, "Phonon spectroscopy on low-dimensional structures using super-conducting tunnel junctions". Lots of quantum mechanics involved :-)

I think I used to be quite cleaver once... as thick as two short Max Plancks now. Don't ask me anything about my research project because I can't remember a thing.

Mani.

I have worked for a company which made cables, and used an outside lab to get measurements done.

OK, that's one company.

And were the measured results better than those of the competition?

Or in other words was your product technically superior?

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

By no means did I mean to criticize Jack's products, I sometimes use them myself. But Jack is well known for not actually revealing anything about how his products work, or what they even are, and giving "explanations" which appear to be intended to protect his IP. Check out the myriad threads at Audio Asylum or DIY Audio if you are interested in more information.

I was referring to the Samsung TVs. Should've made that clearer.