IGNORED

Did We Overhype USB Audio And Overlook Possible Pitfalls?

Isolation from the transmitter, yes. But even with USB this may not be the main problem. A bigger problem may be the electrical activity of the receiver on the DAC's PCB.

So would feeding a DAC via coax input from a USB to coax converter be a better path (all else being equal)?

For me personally, it was not, and neither was USB -> Toslink or coax -> Toslink (by a long shot). For some folks a converter sounds better; for me and others, USB has been the best so far.

All anecdotal (on my part anyway), so up to you how much credit to give it.

My Nova's USB input is only 16 bit, 44.1 or 48 kHz, so I have to go optical or coax. Coax seems to be the most reliable. Someday I may get a new DAC, so I was just wondering ...

At what level of expense does one obtain proper implementation without also having to drop $1000 on regenerators/isolators, alternative power supplies and USB cables?

It seems to only be available on lower-cost systems. It is only with the audiophool-pricepoint that you can obtain equipment revealing enough to benefit from tinkering with paranormal phenomena.

Not necessarily, it could mean there's no correction in addition to the Cyclic Redundancy Check.

As an aside, does anybody know why when replying, the cursor would go to the first line right after [ /QUOTE] suddenly in the middle of a sentence? Happens to me a few times. Quite odd.

Have you tried using a linear power supply and a regen on your USB keyboard?