IGNORED

Grateful Dead listening event Jan 30, SF Bay Area

I hope this is not too far afield as a thread. I'm Membership Director for the San Francisco Audiophile Society. For some time, we have been intrigued by a UK-originated activity called Classic Album Sundays. People gather at someone’s home to listen to a couple of albums that are meaningful to attendees. Nothing audiophile about it at all. Our members would like to see our events incorporate more music in addition to the gear, so we’re using our January event to try out the concept of just listening – deeply immersing ourselves in two LPs, Workingman's Dead and American Beauty on MoFi 45 RPM. We're calling it a 'Deep Listening' event. And we’re improving on the concept by bringing in an expert in the chosen music to help inform the experience -- David Gans, co-author of This is All a Dream We Dreamed: An Oral History of the Grateful Dead (November 2015), his third book about the band, and producer and host of the nationally syndicated radio program The Grateful Dead Hour.

When: Saturday, January 30 1pm - 3pm

Where: private home in Orinda, CA

$10 fee

Space is limited. If you are interested in attending, send me a PM.

Dan

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil

Dan: This is a really interesting idea, although I admit that a big attraction would be to be able to hear a really great sound system as a further way to increase our "reference points" in fine tuning our own system. Do you have any idea of the system we would be listening to here?

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

Dan: This is a really interesting idea, although I admit that a big attraction would be to be able to hear a really great sound system as a further way to increase our "reference points" in fine tuning our own system. Do you have any idea of the system we would be listening to here?

Acoustic Signature Challenger Mk3 turntable

Funk Firm FX-R II tonearm

Lyra Delos MC cartridge

Allnic H-1201 phono stage

Pass Labs XP-30 preamp

Beta version of High Fidelity stereo power amplifier

Lawrence Audio Double Bass loudspeakers

High Fidelity, AntiCable and Mogami cables and power cords

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil