IGNORED

What source and amplification would you use to drive KEF LS50 speakers?

Ajax

Thanks all for everyone's thoughts and alternatives.

Based on what I've read here most seem to feel he LS50s need a bit more power than the average speaker to shine. It appears that I will need to encourage my nephew to increase his budget for the front end.

We need a source that can play local files and also stream so I am considering either a

1. Apple TV + pre/dac + power amp combination

2. Aural Mini + power amp

I recently purchased a 5b year old second hand Parasound Halo A23 power amp (125W) i saw on eBay for only US$200 and wanted to keep it for myself but I think that combine with say a used Benchmark DAC1 or a iFi Micro( alternatively an Auralic Mini) should do the trick.

Any other thoughts?

The Parasound should be a good choice for the KEF LS50. I have read KEF used the larger A21 Parasound when they first demo'd the LS50 in the states. So that with a good DAC/pre should be quite nice. Benchmark of iFi should do the trick.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

The Marantz amp is a stable amp, but it will not have enough amperage to drive the LS 50 speaker to it's potential. 35 wpc into 8ohms and 70 into 4ohms will play music, but it's not enough to drive the KEF's.

My experience is similar with these speakers. I have observed a real 150 wpc amp with limited current do less than great. Sound was okay. While a hefty 200 wpc MOSFET amp handled them well and made the sound much more inviting. One of the large Bel Canto amps did fine too.

I suspect it is the relatively low impedance with large phase angle and low efficiency combining to make this so as seen in the measurements JA did. It sits right near where much music calls for plenty power.

Now I haven't heard this done. In my mind this speaker cries out for a subwoofer. If you relieved the speaker and its driving amp of the low end, you might get away with a modest 75 wpc amp which saves money toward the woofer. Even a relatively inexpensive woofer might help enough to be big benefit. This speaker sounds great, but I do get the feeling it is always on the verge of just barely enough. A good sub on it would likely make it great and able to play in a big way with aplomb.

KEF LS50 Anniversary Model loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com

So something like a 100 or 125 wpc amp with plenty of current reserves would be fine most likely. I can even a imagine there might be 70-80 wpc amps with good power supplies that would work okay. It isn't like the other amps won't play, you will not get the best they have to offer though.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

To the entity calling itself JW Audio, you appear to be an entity that does not believe flowery ambiguous prose will cheat the laws of physics and transcend reality. Tisk, tisk tisk, entity JW Audio.

You are just my kind of entity though. :)

Entity calling itself JW Audio, you're but a shadow of your real self ; your verisimilitudes, shadow's shadow of practicality.

You write of what you've not tested, nor studied (see also #112 and #123).

And anchoring your latest contempt, disrespecting Chris by feigning surprise—implying his dereliction as site owner and that you-know-better how...

Hi Wilhelm,

JW Audio's post was not disrespectful to you IMO and did not warrant your response.

Before you also get upset with me please understand that I (and many others here at CA) appreciate your enthusiasm for Marantz products. I have listened to them for over 40 years since my older brother bought home a 1066 amp in 1975 and I recently purchased the PM 6005. Marantz make great stuff.

Having said that the point of this Forum for me, and most others, is to learn about audio theory and new products as well as enjoy a bit of banter and camaraderie. Your continual promotion of only Marantz products has now come to saturation point and in the vast majority of your 400 posts since going CA you are simply repeating yourself. Also if someone disagrees with you, or asks that you tame your obsession with Marantz, you become hostile and defensive.

I would therefore ask that you use this forum to further your own education into what other products are available and to also respect those people who challenge or disagree with your opinions.

Please take 24 hours to consider what I have written before responding as I'm simply trying to help you see what others see.

All the best,

Ajax

Looks like he used 24 minutes. Close enough to 24 hours I guess.

No, no, he wants you to be similar to his elk:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23971[/ATTACH]

[video=youtube;SII-jhEd-a0]

There is a moose mentioned here. Is that similar enough to an elk to be part of the same ilk?

Returning to LS50' date=' for you who haven't searched what it is, from [b']KEF[/b]'s own YouTube Channel :

From their kef.com...LS50/fact_sheet :

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Amplifier requirements[/TD]

[TD]= 25 - 100 W[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Sensitivity (2.83V/1m)[/TD]

[TD]= 85dB[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Nominal impedance[/TD]

[TD]= 8Ω (min. 3.2Ω)[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Dimension (H x W x D)

(with terminal)[/TD]

[TD]= 302 x 200 x 278 mm

(11.9 x 7.9 x 10.9 in.)[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

KEF_LS50_finishes_us_ca.jpg

And while searching I saw that hifi-gegler.de deem it fitting to bundle it with my original suggestion of Melody Series, albeit M-CR611 for EUR 1.600 :

ls50_plus_mcr-611-1.p800x600.jpg

Have you any hands on experience of the LS50 and multiple amps?