IGNORED

Paul Pang musicserver/pc my experiences

Don't know if this is any help but your description of the boot problem is very similar to mine. I use the same Mboard as PP and built a music server myself. I had purchased a black sata cable + OCXO clock.

During the Operating system install, I had terrible problems with the install, sometimes reboot sometimes not.

I then swapped out the PPA cable for the std cable that came with the mBoard, and instantly no more problems!

I contacted Paul about this, and he went on about me upgrading the bios (which I had not)...but eventually he came back and told me he was sending his new SATA red cable, which he assured me would fix the problem.... and to be fair to him, it DID!

So, swap out the sata first... these black PP ones appear not to work properly or reliably with modern Mboards and in my case the Samsung SSD!

Hope that helps!

As for the clock... well, modifying the mobos by following PPs instructions is fraught with danger in my opinion. I am quite good with soldering board components, but I ended up with a dead brand new Mboard!!!! Even the engineering company I took it to could not resurrect because they are multilayer and it is way too easy to destroy the contacts without knowing, even with a big magnifying glass! So, I ended up having to shell out for a new Board!

I am enjoying my Musicserver without the mod for a while before I attempt the clock-thing again!

• 3 months later...

As a matter of interest, I presume you are using an SSD of some sort to load the OS? If so, what data cable is installed? Is it a PPA black? If so, I have personal experience that says this PPA Cable will not work with modern MBoards!

See if you can try the standard SATA cable - if this works then you know what the problem is. PP changed my new Black to a cheaper PPA RED and all was fixed.

Hope that helps....

Keith