IGNORED

Stanko Suspended Night - 24/96?

Hello,

Anyone know anything about the 24/96 version of Tomasz Stanko Quartet Suspended Night available on HDTracks: Suspended Night | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads Is it recent remaster or tape transfer done by who etc?

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

It's most likely a 24/96 recording. ECM records in various resolutions (24/48, 24/88, 24/96), depending on the studio, and releases them in that resolution.

There was one hi-rez release from them that was withdrawn later from most sites, as it turned out to be upsampled: Enrico Rava "New York Days" was first released in 24/96 but was recorded in 24/44. In the spectrogram, there is no frequency above 22kHz.

The 24/96 version is still available on Qobuz, but the 24/44 is the official one

New York Days

I think this shows that ECM cares about offering the recordings in their native resolution.

Claude

It's most likely a 24/96 recording. ECM records in various resolutions (24/48, 24/88, 24/96), depending on the studio, and releases them in that resolution.

There was one hi-rez release from them that was withdrawn later from most sites, as it turned out to be upsampled: Enrico Rava "New York Days" was first released in 24/96 but was recorded in 24/44. In the spectrogram, there is no frequency above 22kHz.

The 24/96 version is still available on Qobuz, but the 24/44 is the official one

New York Days

I think this shows that ECM cares about offering the recordings in their native resolution.

Possibly, but this album in 24/96 is available ONLY on HDTracks, nowhere else which makes me suspicious.

--

Krzysztof Maj

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

It is also available from Acoustic Sounds and Prostudiomasters, but not on the usual european sites

Suspended Night

Thanks, that could confirm if this is original ECM Studio Master - tempting to purchase it...

--

Krzysztof Maj

Anyway, HDTracks if of course no responding at all, would be also nice to see if they're providing PDF booklets as well. Others saying it's included, HDTracks no information :-/

--

Krzysztof Maj

A lot of times, the pdf that HDtracks provides is just the cover image. I don't know about their ECM offerings.

Decent quality scans of the booklet can be found on discogs:

Images for Tomasz Stanko Quartet* - Suspended Night

Yes, I know this story of PDFs from HDTracks containing only cover picture :-/ Thanks for discogs link. Still not decided to go for it, but I like this album a lot and have CD. Don't know if 24/96 will bring significant difference to what I have heard already...

--

Krzysztof Maj

If you go to Pro Studio Masters and search on ECM there are about 60 that are available as 24/96.

Search Results for ECM - ProStudioMasters

Does anyone own one that can compare with the redbook counterpart? It would have to be more than subtle improvement to be worth getting over ECM's usual high quality redbook offerings. I know that's not a guarantee that Suspended Nights would be of value, but it would at least produce a track record of sorts.

I'd love to know that a Tomas Stanko album could be improved upon sq-wise. A true hirez Soul of Things would be wonderful! :)

If you go to Pro Studio Masters and search on ECM there are about 60 that are available as 24/96.

Search Results for ECM - ProStudioMasters

Does anyone own one that can compare with the redbook counterpart? It would have to be more than subtle improvement to be worth getting over ECM's usual high quality redbook offerings. I know that's not a guarantee that Suspended Nights would be of value, but it would at least produce a track record of sorts.

I'd love to know that a Tomas Stanko album could be improved upon sq-wise. A true hirez Soul of Things would be wonderful! :)

I have Wislawa in 24/88 and it is a bit more spacious with maybe better bass, but indeed it's subjective and I agree with you Ted about high quality ECM redbook albums.

--

Krzysztof Maj

I have a few ECM albums (recent digital recordings) that I could compare to the CD version.

In all cases, DR was the same (minor dB differences), which suggests the same mastering.

The differences in sound were the typical advantages of higher resolution: instruments are better separated and defined (more "air" between them), higher frequencies sound more detailed and smoother.

Of course the differences are not huge. In my experience, higher resolution pays off most with classical orchestral recordings, while with small group jazz, chamber music or pop/rock it is less obvious.

Claude

Thanks, but this does not confirm if recorded in 24/96 natively or upsampled...

Honestly, I don't know why you would be suspicious about ECM providing upsampled downloads.

If you are really concerned for some reason email ECM directly and bypass the retailers.

Honestly, I don't know why you would be suspicious about ECM providing upsampled downloads.

If you are really concerned for some reason email ECM directly and bypass the retailers.

Well, I am more suspicious about HDTracks than ECM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--

Krzysztof Maj

I just noticed that this hi-rez release of the 2004 album is new (dated 2015 on HDtracks, "New arrival" on Acoustic Sounds). Maybe it will soon be added to the european hi-rez sites.

Interesting indeed, because for example Marcin Wasilewski Trio's January album was released in 2008 on the same label, and is only available as 24/44.1 (on Qobuz).

HDTracks is a reseller of recordings, it doesn't mess with the files record labels send them.

There have been problems in the past with HDtracks.

They offered many 24/88 downloads which turned out to be SACD rips.

For example Universal Classics SACDs sourced from 24/96 masterings (which means multiple conversions, 24/96 PCM --> DSD SACD --> 24/88 PCM), or BIS recordings made in 24/44.

BIS owner Robert von Bahr has said he didn't know where HDtracks got those files.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f13-music-downloads-and-streaming/qobuz-when-24-96-guaranteed-studio-master-not-one-18995/

http://www.sa-cd.net/showthread/22322/113216/y

Claude

There have been problems in the past with HDtracks.

They offered many 24/88 downloads which turned out to be SACD rips.

For example Universal Classics SACDs sourced from 24/96 masterings (which means multiple conversions, 24/96 PCM --> DSD SACD --> 24/88 PCM), or BIS recordings made in 24/44.

BIS owner Robert von Bahr has said he didn't know where HDtracks got those files.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f13-music-downloads-and-streaming/qobuz-when-24-96-guaranteed-studio-master-not-one-18995/

SA-CD.net - BIS thread

This pertained only to SACD rips, as HDTracks couldn't offer them in the original DSD resolution due to internal politics, not PCM recordings.

Has there been at least one confirmed, or even suspected, case of HDTracks upsampling PCM recordings to higher PCM rates?

Tord Gustavsen Trio's The Ground appears to be another upsampled ECM release...

Tord Gustavsen Trio's The Ground appears to be another upsampled ECM release...

Numerous ECM hi-res files have been suspected of being up-sampled. Different sellers have discontinued different titles. Titles include, but are probably not limited to:

András Schiff - Bach, J.S.: Six Partitas [2009 ECM 24/96]

Anouar Brahem - The Astounding Eyes Of Rita [2009 ECM 24/96]

Arve Henriksen - Cartography [2008 ECM 24/96]

Craig Taborn - Avenging Angel [2011 ECM 24/96]

Manu Katché - Neighbourhood [2005 ECM 24/96]

Manu Katché - Third Round [2010 ECM 24/88]

Norma Winstone - Stories Yet To Tell [2010 ECM 24/96]

Stefano Bollani Trio - Stone In The Water [2009 ECM 24/96]

Tord Gustavsen Trio - The Ground [2004 ECM 24/96]

Jan Garbarek, The Hilliard Ensemble - Officium Novum [2010 ECM 24/96]

Tim Berne's Snakeoil - Shadow Man [2013 ECM 24/88]