IGNORED

Windows XP vs Sonore product

Ok I have built a rather minimized OS (Windows XP) to run an ssd os disc and one data disc which outputs music via usb. aLL VERY SIMPLE. I have 9 data discs which I have to load one at a time. My main objective was music purity, Why would I need to use this Sonore product other than having all data discs loaded at once in a nas? wOULD MY MUSIC BE ANY PURER?

Ok I have built a rather minimized OS (Windows XP) to run an ssd os disc and one data disc which outputs music via usb. aLL VERY SIMPLE. I have 9 data discs which I have to load one at a time. My main objective was music purity, Why would I need to use this Sonore product other than having all data discs loaded at once in a nas? wOULD MY MUSIC BE ANY PURER?

I moved your post here to see if others would chime in.

We started off using Windows XP like most people here and very quickly moved on to Linux. There were many reasons for that move...sound quality to name one. This is my opinion and you will find others.

The Sonore Signature Series Rendu plays files stored on a NAS on the network. The NAS also runs a simple Linux operating system that adds reliability, security and backup capabilities. This combination of your content on a NAS and the Sonore Signature Series Rendu playing the files is very pure. The Sonore Signature Series Rendu is much simpler than most anything out there and it's built like a true audio piece. The Sonore Signature Series Rendu does not have USB and instead outputs SPDIF and i2s.

The Sonicorbiter SE does have USB output. The Sonicorbiter SE can also play files from a NAS on the network. The hardware is not optimized, but the software is very simple and playback through it is great.

The Sonore Signature Series Rendu is expensive and it's not for everyone. The Sonicorbiter SE is priced low and I think you should just try one:)

Jesus R

Ted and I have very similar setups, except I use a modified ESI [email protected] to output I2S directly to a DAC. But I'm looking at USB options for future projects.

A couple more questions...

Jesus, in mode #3b, the SS SE can use local USB-connected storage. I assume this could be a USB-connected harddrive, SSD, or even a micro SD-card with an adapter, correct?

Related, do you have the OpSys and applications on the SD card in the Cubox or does it have internal storage you've moved it to? And if it does have internal storage where the OpSys and applications reside, can you play music from the SD Card?

Ted, you said you have 9 data disks you have to load one at a time. I assume you mean that you have to power down and swap a new drive in each time, correct? And how much storage are you talking for your entire library, GB, TB, what?

TIA!

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

2 systems... Well-Tempered Refs->ET-2.5->DIY or Lounge LCR MkII phono stages

Standalone digital Sony HAP Z1-ES or SDTrans384/Soekris DAM DAC

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s w/HUGE Ultracaps; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

Ok Jesus so if I get one of these Sonore thingies. All the music playing (for example the hqp one) is performed from the Sonore which is not Windows(it is a Linux machine running headless & keyless).

Is that right? Also do I have to buy the the Hqp player or does it come with the Sonore?

Ted and I have very similar setups, except I use a modified ESI [email protected] to output I2S directly to a DAC. But I'm looking at USB options for future projects.

A couple more questions...

Jesus, in mode #3b, the SS SE can use local USB-connected storage. I assume this could be a USB-connected harddrive, SSD, or even a micro SD-card with an adapter, correct?

Related, do you have the OpSys and applications on the SD card in the Cubox or does it have internal storage you've moved it to? And if it does have internal storage where the OpSys and applications reside, can you play music from the SD Card?

Ted, you said you have 9 data disks you have to load one at a time. I assume you mean that you have to power down and swap a new drive in each time, correct? And how much storage are you talking for your entire library, GB, TB, what?

TIA!

Greg in Mississippi

What DAC do you have? In mode 3b you can mount those as long as they are USB. We are using a SD card for the OS.

Jesus R

Ok Jesus so if I get one of these Sonore thingies. All the music playing (for example the hqp one) is performed from the Sonore which is not Windows(it is a Linux machine running headless & keyless).

Is that right? Also do I have to buy the the Hqp player or does it come with the Sonore?

For information on the Sonore Sonicorbiter SE's NAA output mode please refer here:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonore-sonicorbiter-se-naa-output-mode-27274/

We do not get buy third party software for you.

Jesus R

I am just trying to understand how this works. Let me try

, connect your pc and sonore unit into your router

. you get hq player on your pc. Run your files there

. the Sonore will get the music stream and route it to your dac via usb (if that is your choice)

if the above is true why would the Sonore sound better than the pc hooked directly to the dac via usb?

What DAC do you have? In mode 3b you can mount those as long as they are USB. We are using a SD card for the OS.

Jesus R

Jesus,

Thanks for the response.

I currently have only I2S-connected DIY DACs. I've used them mounted directly on the [email protected] digital portion and connected to an SDTran384 SD Card player.

I'm looking at some USB-connected options, which is why I'm interested in the SE. I just recently setup an LMS server using a small Zotac ZBOX-PI320-W2 and have been setting it up with music on an SD card (256Gb or 512Gb). My questions were targeting whether I could use the SE in mode 3B with the music on the SD card and outputting via USB. Sounds like that won't work, but it could still be very useful as a Squeezebox replacement.

Thx!

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

2 systems... Well-Tempered Refs->ET-2.5->DIY or Lounge LCR MkII phono stages

Standalone digital Sony HAP Z1-ES or SDTrans384/Soekris DAM DAC

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s w/HUGE Ultracaps; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

. the Sonore will get the music stream and route it to your dac via usb (if that is your choice)

if the above is true why would the Sonore sound better than the pc hooked directly to the dac via usb?

You can certainly do that and there is a market for that solution. However, this is a different approach. Let's assume they sound exactly the same. You can use a NAS to send streams to this small and inexpensive device in your audio room without a computer in loop. This device is preloaded with the software and just works out of the box. There are no Windows updated to worry about when I want to play music. There is not monitor or keyboard needed. We could argue the merits on the idea, but the intention is that it's a universal endpoint for streaming from your computer or NAS to your audio system. It's also a great second system solution. Electrically speaking this device is less complicated than a standard computer, doesn't have any moving parts and it's low power. Sound quality wise it will hold it's on in any system.

Jesus R

Jesus,

Thanks for the response.

I currently have only I2S-connected DIY DACs. I've used them mounted directly on the [email protected] digital portion and connected to an SDTran384 SD Card player.

I'm looking at some USB-connected options, which is why I'm interested in the SE. I just recently setup an LMS server using a small Zotac ZBOX-PI320-W2 and have been setting it up with music on an SD card (256Gb or 512Gb). My questions were targeting whether I could use the SE in mode 3B with the music on the SD card and outputting via USB. Sounds like that won't work, but it could still be very useful as a Squeezebox replacement.

Thx!

Greg in Mississippi

We have a large capacity micro SD card on order for a small research project. We are going to load the OS on it and have the balance of the card for local storage. If we do this we would enable a network share so you could drop the files in over the network. However, you can use a USB card reader or mount a USB SSD drive.

Jesus R

'You can certainly do that and there is a market for that solution.'

I would not do that if just using the Sonore was better.

'However, this is a different approach. Let's assume they sound exactly the same. You can use a NAS to send streams to this small and inexpensive device in your audio room without a computer in loop. This device is preloaded with the software and just works out of the box.'

What software is preloaded? Thats what I do not understand. I thought I needed a separate pc to play the music files.

I just do not understand how your thing works. And even though your words help me to better understand I just don't get it. Let me ask this way.What mode would I use to just stream music to my dac with no music pc hooked up?

Te key to this scenario is adding a layer of isolation between your high powered PC and the electrically sensitive DAC.

Let me be a bit more direct: Can the Sonore se , on a standalone basis, play and stream music from your nas with any player (like cplay or foobar) or does it have to be hq player?

You can accomplish this by installing a UPnP server (such as MinimServer) on the NAS, having the Sonicorbiter SE in (I think) Mode 3 (MPD/UPnP/DLNA) and then control it with a control point on your tablet. In tis situation no PC is involved.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.