IGNORED

HDtracks survey: Are they considering a streaming service?

CES 2015: Interview with David Chesky, CEO of HDTracks | What Hi-Fi?

Chesky admits they planned to talk with MQA folks over a year ago. Don't tell anybody else though. Seems some people are a bit touchy about MQA right now as a possible DRM issue.

psych!

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I assume they are at least thinking about it. It would only make good business sense to do some preliminary planning. But that's a long way from them actually implementing something. I'd think the cost of setting up a proper streaming service would be a difficult barrier to entry for a business like HDT.

And then there's the question of whether it will actually make money...

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I assume they are at least thinking about it. It would only make good business sense to do some preliminary planning. But that's a long way from them actually implementing something. I'd think the cost of setting up a proper streaming service would be a difficult barrier to entry for a business like HDT.

And then there's the question of whether it will actually make money...

What might be more doable for them is partnership. Offer their HDT content over someone like Tidal. Tidal already has the business in place, and HDT supplying content wouldn't require much from them. Could be a win-win-win if they did that. Win for HDT, for Tidal and for audiophiles.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

What might be more doable for them is partnership. Offer their HDT content over someone like Tidal. Tidal already has the business in place, and HDT supplying content wouldn't require much from them. Could be a win-win-win if they did that. Win for HDT, for Tidal and for audiophiles.

It sounds simple ... but surely HDT's agreements with record labels would not cover streaming. So as the files are (HD Tracks say) simply supplied by the record labels in the first place, it would make more sense for record labels to deal direct with Tidal for HD streaming rather than any "middle man" such as HD Tracks being involved.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

It sounds simple ... but surely HDT's agreements with record labels would not cover streaming. So as the files are (HD Tracks say) simply supplied by the record labels in the first place, it would make more sense for record labels to deal direct with Tidal for HD streaming rather than any "middle man" such as HD Tracks being involved.

That is what I thought. After taking the survey, my first thought was "perhaps they are worried about the direction of 'high-res' downloads vs. 'high res' streaming". Certainly MQA factors into this, but then there was not an MQA question on the survey.

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

Ya think?

I have probably been desensitized to the question by what I read around here from most, which I interpret to mean one does not effect the other. One thing is fer sur, Tidal has only prompted me to purchase more music (majority high-res) not less.

It is one reason why I don't get artists and others who complain about streaming. If it was not for streaming, they would have much less of my $'s...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

I have probably been desensitized to the question by what I read around here from most, which I interpret to mean one does not effect the other. One thing is fer sur, Tidal has only prompted me to purchase more music (majority high-res) not less.

It is one reason why I don't get artists and others who complain about streaming. If it was not for streaming, they would have much less of my $'s...

An interesting observation. That was true for me when I had Spotify.. But my purchasing has pretty much stopped with Tidal.