IGNORED

Aurender x100L vs N100H

Remember garbage in garbage out. When I first populated my X100L, I did with a direct connection from my PC. Later, I did an A/B/C test with the same music (via my intranet) from the internal HDD, my PC HDD and my Synology 713+. Strangely, I found that the best sound came from the Aurender's internal HDDs. I received a lot of flack for printing that on this site. Only one person mentioned that the network may be at fault. Sure enough, the router I was using at the music rack was faulty. Now, I think the Aurender's HDD sound the best but am willing to agree that the difference (if any) is too slight to be meaningful.

This led me to think about getting a N10 but I decided to get new speakers instead (sorry Brian :)).

rw

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

Cycleman, your answer was the bullseye of course!

The linear power supply of n100 seams to be a logic improvement over x100, however I find it some how strange that Aurender puts on the market almost the same product which is cheaper than its preceder and better.

Is it a ours incorrect product market positioning or there is something else behind?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

I haven't heard anyone say the N100 is better than the X100. This is a possibility but not definitive. I think the X100 costs more because there are more and older parts. The case must accommodate two HDDs and circuitry. The N series almost certainly benefit from the advancement in circuitry. However, newer is not always better. :)

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

Well, it is. Not by a mile, but still better. The jump in performance going to either the N10 or W20 is major.

If you want lots of internal storage the choice is obvious. If on the other hand a 2TB hard drive has more than enough capacity at least for a good long while, the choice should be obvious. Any Aurender can use a NAS if you wish.

Thanks Brian, it is good to know. The X100 has definitely weaned me away from NAS's. I have one but it is mostly relegated to backup, video and surveillance use. As you know, I was reluctant about having my music stored on the "streamer". Once I bought the X100 and populated it, I knew that using the NAS as my source wasn't for me anymore. It is rare to find a product that packages convenience, excellence and reasonable price.

I would like to purchase a N10 with 4tB but that will have to wait. Priorities, prorities...