IGNORED

Trying to install BubbleUPnP on a QNAP

I don't recall changing any settings. Do you have the Media Streaming app? Have you called Qnap? They're surprisingly useful.

If you mean QNAP's own media streaming add on, then no, I have not installed it. Should I?

I have tried QNAP twice, but have been unsuccessful getting a response.

2 ch: mac mini with Mavericks OSX, Audirvana+, JRiver MC19, Fidelia, iTunes with Bitplus, exaSound e20 DAC, Simaudio Supernova CDP, DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0, Simaudio i7 amp, Anthony Gallo Ref 3.5 speakers, Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp, Sennheiser HD800 with Cardas cable.

HT: Pioneer Pro-151 Plasma, Anthem D2v pre/pro, Simaudio Titan 5ch amp, Oppo BDP-103 blu-ray player, Velodyne DD15 sub, Paradigm Signature S6/C3/S2's, Buttkicker tactile transducers.

Yeah, I read those before and after receiving my NAS. A lot of it is beyond me.

That being said: Bubble is now installed. I enabled UPnP in my router and then tried installing it and it finally worked.

2 ch: mac mini with Mavericks OSX, Audirvana+, JRiver MC19, Fidelia, iTunes with Bitplus, exaSound e20 DAC, Simaudio Supernova CDP, DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0, Simaudio i7 amp, Anthony Gallo Ref 3.5 speakers, Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp, Sennheiser HD800 with Cardas cable.

HT: Pioneer Pro-151 Plasma, Anthem D2v pre/pro, Simaudio Titan 5ch amp, Oppo BDP-103 blu-ray player, Velodyne DD15 sub, Paradigm Signature S6/C3/S2's, Buttkicker tactile transducers.

ok, now, how do I get bubble to appear as a server on my ipad control apps like Lumin or Kinsky?

Guys, it appears that the sweat & triumph of finally getting the BubbleUPnP Server to install on the QNAP, may have frazzled a bit of the jargon section of your brains. As this forum's unnofficial UPnP technical terminology policeman, may I remind you that the original goal was to get BubbleUPnP Server's (emulated) OpenHome renderer set up for the exaSound PlayPoint:

BubbleUPnP Server

If all's well with the BubbleUPnP Server, its built-in web server should now be running and accessable over the network. Hence, you should be able to access its setup pages, such as the one shown in the link above, on a web browser running on any machine on the network, using the URL:

http://aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd:58050

where aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd is the LAN ip of the QNAP.

Hopefully, the exaSound PlayPoint will be in the list of Media Renderers. You should now be able to select the PlayPoint and create an OpenHome Renderer for it, by ticking the appropriate box. If the PlayPoint supports gapless playback, then the Gapless playback tick box should also be accessable. Make sure to tick that box too, otherwise the emulated OpenHome PlayPoint won't support gapless.

As Tranz has said, name the emulated OpenHome PlayPoint something different to the 'real' PlayPoint, so you've less chance of confusing the two especially if you use an application that can see both OpenHome & standard UPnP renderer types. You've also got the extra potential for confusion since exaSound in their wisdom have decided to make the PlayPoint an OpenHome and a standard UPnP renderer at the same time. So with the BubbleUPnP Server emulated OpenHome PlayPoint running, that's a total of 2 OpenHome PlayPoints & 1 standard UPnP PlayPoint appearing on the network all for the same 1 device!

So please, try not to make any of this "bubble" & "server" mixed up speak for next time (& the next ..., etc) :)

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Call it something different so that you can distinguish between upnp and ohmedia.
Incidentally, Tranz, speaking of nomenclature. I've noticed that openhome.org have recently revamped their web pages and appear to have dropped the 'media' part of their name and are using a new 'OpenHome' logo:

OpenHome

Confusingly, their wiki pages still refer to the technology as 'OpenHome Media' or 'ohMedia' and has the old 'OpenHome' logo:

OhMedia - OpenHome

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Guys, I got it! I'm now using the Lumin control app with Tidal integrated. BEAUTIFUL! Thanks so much for all your input and help. This was my goal and you guys helped me achieve it. This is too cool.

All works great with Lumin, but I don't see the Tidal symbol in Kinsky.

Unfortunately, the old Kinsky app stopped being further developed by Linn before OpenHome started to provide Streaming Services support, so isn't designed to access TIDAL. However, you should be able to use TIDAL with Kinsky's replacement, the Linn Kazoo app.

BTW, since the Kinsky controller supports both standard UPnP and OpenHome, it would be interesting to know how many exaSound PlayPoint renderers it is currently picking up. May be even have a look at the Open-source credit roll, via the PlayPoint Web interface link as described on page 21 of the user manual, to see if iexaSound PlayPoint is using the Upmpdcli UPnP front end client for MPD:

http://www.exasound.com/Portals/0/productdocs/exaSound-PlayPoint-Owners-Manual.pdf#21

-- Jo Cox

Unfortunately, the old Kinsky app stopped being further developed by Linn before OpenHome started to provide Streaming Services support, so isn't designed to access TIDAL. However, you should be able to use TIDAL with Kinsky's replacement, the Linn Kazoo app.

BTW, since the Kinsky controller supports both standard UPnP and OpenHome, it would be interesting to know how many exaSound PlayPoint renderers it is currently picking up. May be even have a look at the Open-source credit roll, via the PlayPoint Web interface link as described on page 21 of the user manual, to see if iexaSound PlayPoint is using the Upmpdcli UPnP front end client for MPD:

http://www.exasound.com/Portals/0/productdocs/exaSound-PlayPoint-Owners-Manual.pdf#21

It is showing two playpoint devices including the one that I just renamed in the bubble settings. Both Lumin and Kinsky show two of them.

Minimserver and BubbleUPnP server are two completely different things. The naming is confusing, but Bubble is an OpenHome Media emulator not an UPnP server. It runs in addition to Minimserver, not instead of.

OP. Please check my and Cebolla's reply on your other thread.

There are some helpful chapters in this guide regarding UPnP, OhMedia, etc.

http://www.msbtech.com/support/RendererManual.pdf

Glad it works!

For future reference the document from the link above has a section on setting up bubble and Tidal around page 96.

Am I to understand if I select the transcoding feature, it down converts all my high resolution files? I'm guessing I don't want to select this?

yup, that will be no problem for it. I have downloaded kazoo and it works great too. Think I actually prefer it to Lumin.

• 3 months later...

I am new to the Computer Audiophile Community and I hope that my issue can be resolved like the OP.

My goal is to be able to utilize the Lumin and Kazoo control point for my Sonore SSR.

Equipment involved;

Sonore SSR, QNAP HS-210 NAS with latest MinimServer and Java enabled, PC with latest MinimWatch, Android 7" Tab device with BubbleUPnP ( desire to use IPad mini iOS )

From what I have gathered, I need to install BubbleUPnP Server on my QNAP HS-210 NAS, OK. ( to create OH )

I have been to the BubbleUPnP Server page and reviewed the QNAP NAS installation instruction pdf file.

Everything looks pretty straight forward to load BubbleUPnP Server onto my QNAP HS-210 ( I think I need the X09 QPKG file )

But when I attempt to download the QPKG file to my PC, the link opens up a page of script instead of downloading a file.

Do these QPKF files exist somewhere else or is the intention that the script be entered manually? ( I hope not! )

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

• HQPE 1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM
  • Streaming Qobuz or playing files from external SSD
  • Surface Go 3 i3 Tablet with HQPlayer Client
  • ISP Cable Modem -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule 
  • Sonore opticalModule  -> 20m Fiber -> Sonore opticalModule -> Ethernet -> Managed Switch
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule Deluxe -> 5m Fiber -> Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical ( HQPlayer NAA )
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet ->Small Green Computer sonicTransporter i9 Optical ( HQPlayer Embedded )
  • Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical -> USB -> Holo Audio KTE May
  • Holo Audio KTE May -> XLR -> Goldpoint SA1X/47 -> XLR to Decware ZBIT -> RCA to Decware ZSTAGE25 -> RCA to Decware SE84UFO25 -> Avantgarde Duo Omega Horns with Townshend Audio Ribbon Super Tweeters
  • Decware SE84UFO25 -> Speaker Level to Jensen IsoMax Balanced Converter -> XLR Rives PARC -> XLR Avantgarde SUB225s

Save the file and then browse for it from the QNAP web interface (following these directions http://www.abgestumpft.de/BubbleUPnPServerQPKG/BubbleUPnPServer%20QPKG.pdf). I have a Synology, but basically same process. When I go to Bubbleserver site and pretend to choose the X09 QPKG it asks me if I want to save. Say yes.

Thanks Ted,

Your "say yes" instruction made me re-think what I was doing.

Left click would open the file, right click "save target as" would download the file.

I was mistaken on the QPKG file, it is the x19 QPKG for a QNAP HS-210.

BubbleUPnP Server is up and running on my NAS.

The only hurdle now is that the SSR "Audio Renderer-101" is not being seen by BubbleUPnP Server under renderers.

What a learning curve.

• Sonore opticalModule  -> 20m Fiber -> Sonore opticalModule -> Ethernet -> Managed Switch
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule Deluxe -> 5m Fiber -> Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical ( HQPlayer NAA )
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet ->Small Green Computer sonicTransporter i9 Optical ( HQPlayer Embedded )
  • Holo Audio KTE May -> XLR -> Goldpoint SA1X/47 -> XLR to Decware ZBIT -> RCA to Decware ZSTAGE25 -> RCA to Decware SE84UFO25 -> Avantgarde Duo Omega Horns with Townshend Audio Ribbon Super Tweeters
  • Decware SE84UFO25 -> Speaker Level to Jensen IsoMax Balanced Converter -> XLR Rives PARC -> XLR Avantgarde SUB225s

Restarted the SSR and BubbleUPnP Server, everything appears to be go!

Thanks Ted!

• 1 year later...
On 1/30/2016 at 2:08 AM, Cebolla said:

Guys, it appears that the sweat & triumph of finally getting the BubbleUPnP Server to install on the QNAP, may have frazzled a bit of the jargon section of your brains. As this forum's unnofficial UPnP technical terminology policeman, may I remind you that the original goal was to get BubbleUPnP Server's (emulated) OpenHome renderer set up for the exaSound PlayPoint:

BubbleUPnP Server

If all's well with the BubbleUPnP Server, its built-in web server should now be running and accessable over the network. Hence, you should be able to access its setup pages, such as the one shown in the link above, on a web browser running on any machine on the network, using the URL:

http://aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd:58050

where aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd is the LAN ip of the QNAP.

Hopefully, the exaSound PlayPoint will be in the list of Media Renderers. You should now be able to select the PlayPoint and create an OpenHome Renderer for it, by ticking the appropriate box. If the PlayPoint supports gapless playback, then the Gapless playback tick box should also be accessable. Make sure to tick that box too, otherwise the emulated OpenHome PlayPoint won't support gapless.

As Tranz has said, name the emulated OpenHome PlayPoint something different to the 'real' PlayPoint, so you've less chance of confusing the two especially if you use an application that can see both OpenHome & standard UPnP renderer types. You've also got the extra potential for confusion since exaSound in their wisdom have decided to make the PlayPoint an OpenHome and a standard UPnP renderer at the same time. So with the BubbleUPnP Server emulated OpenHome PlayPoint running, that's a total of 2 OpenHome PlayPoints & 1 standard UPnP PlayPoint appearing on the network all for the same 1 device!

So please, try not to make any of this "bubble" & "server" mixed up speak for next time (& the next ..., etc) :)

I am also in the middle of installing BuBBleUPnP to my Qnap NAS. The installation seems to be successful, no error at all. But when I click on Open, it popups up a screen (http://aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd:58050) for username and password. What credential should I use here? I have tried my nas admin credential, it doesn't recognize. Appreciate if anyone can offer some insight...

Thanks,

Jeff