IGNORED

Trying to install BubbleUPnP on a QNAP

I have a QNAP HS-251+ and I'm trying to install Bubble on it. I have installed java and downloaded the x86 package. It goes through the install process with the status bar, but then it gives me a pop up message that the following items could not be installed. Anyone have any suggestions?

2 ch: mac mini with Mavericks OSX, Audirvana+, JRiver MC19, Fidelia, iTunes with Bitplus, exaSound e20 DAC, Simaudio Supernova CDP, DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0, Simaudio i7 amp, Anthony Gallo Ref 3.5 speakers, Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp, Sennheiser HD800 with Cardas cable.

HT: Pioneer Pro-151 Plasma, Anthem D2v pre/pro, Simaudio Titan 5ch amp, Oppo BDP-103 blu-ray player, Velodyne DD15 sub, Paradigm Signature S6/C3/S2's, Buttkicker tactile transducers.

Try turning off pop-up blocker, firewall and anti virus during install.

I tried turning off anti-virus, but I don't see that I have a firewall or pop-up blocked installed. With anti-virus disabled, I still can't install BubbleUPnP.

2 ch: mac mini with Mavericks OSX, Audirvana+, JRiver MC19, Fidelia, iTunes with Bitplus, exaSound e20 DAC, Simaudio Supernova CDP, DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0, Simaudio i7 amp, Anthony Gallo Ref 3.5 speakers, Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp, Sennheiser HD800 with Cardas cable.

HT: Pioneer Pro-151 Plasma, Anthem D2v pre/pro, Simaudio Titan 5ch amp, Oppo BDP-103 blu-ray player, Velodyne DD15 sub, Paradigm Signature S6/C3/S2's, Buttkicker tactile transducers.

I've got it installed on my Qnap TS-212 without issue.

Do you have all the latest firmware updates?

Yes, my QNAP is up to date. Its odd.

Try minimserver then. I found it has a little quicker response.

Minimserver and BubbleUPnP server are two completely different things. The naming is confusing, but Bubble is an OpenHome Media emulator not an UPnP server. It runs in addition to Minimserver, not instead of.

OP. Please check my and Cebolla's reply on your other thread.

There are some helpful chapters in this guide regarding UPnP, OhMedia, etc.

http://www.msbtech.com/support/RendererManual.pdf

I have been using minimserver.

I wanted to install Bubble as I use Tidal and I understand Tidal is integrated into some control apps like those offered by Linn when using Bubble. I can't do that with minimserver to my knowledge

Tidal is integrated with the Lumin app.

And there's the rub. That is why I am trying to install Bubble because the Tidal app does not show up n my Lumin app.

Guys, I think this may be explained by the extent that the renderer being used supports OpenHome. OpenHome requires both the renderer and the controller app to support the interface it provides for the TIDAL internet streaming service. The controller app won't show & therefore allow the user access to the TIDAL service, unless the renderer confirms that it also supports TIDAL under OpenHome.

So it's very likely that the reason why TIDAL is not appearing in the Lumin app is because the OpenHome supporting renderer it is being used with doesn't actually support the OpenHome mechanism for accessing TIDAL.

BTW, Bluemark81, you are correct in saying that the BubbleUPnP Server's OpenHome emulator does extend to providing TIDAL access under OpenHome, so will show TIDAL in the OpenHome control apps used with it that also support TIDAL under OpenHome.

The OpenHome controllers that natively support TIDAL are the Windows/Mac/iPad Kazoo app, the iOS Lumin app, the Android BubbleUPnP app & the Android BubbleDS Next app.

Notice this list does not include the Auralic Lightning DS (otherwise) OpenHome supporting controller app, which uses its own proprietary (so non-OpenHome) mechanism for providing access to TIDAL, so only works with its own Aries renderers.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

[emoji651]️ that is a good point!

I am running Lumin app v6.0.1.

Now one other thing to try is running an older version of java starting with 1.7. Newer java versions have more security settings that might be blocking the Bubble url. And another thing to try is lowering the security settings of java runtime.

[emoji651]️ that is a good point!

I am running Lumin app v6.0.1.

Now one other thing to try is running an older version of java starting with 1.7. Newer java versions have more security settings that might be blocking the Bubble url. And another thing to try is lowering the security settings of java runtime.

I am also running v6.01. Cebolla's explanation makes total sense to me.

Now, for your suggestion. How do I lower the security settings or install an earlier Java app within a QNAP NAS? I simply installed the one that was part of QNAP's app centre.

On Oracle's download site you can find older versions. Make sure to grab the right linux version

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk7-downloads-1880260.html

You would the use the manual install process ob Qnap. When you open the java app or settings page in qnap does it not show any options? I use Synology so cannot provide you the exact path.

Thanks! There are two Linux x86 packages. Which one do I use?

I will check my java settings this evening.

Thanks! There are two Linux x86 packages. Which one do I use?

I will check my java settings this evening.

If you already run Minimserver on the QNAP isn't Java already installed? BubbleUPnPserver (not BubbleUPnP, by the way.,..which your title says) does not need an additional Java license.

Ted

It was not to install another Java runtime, but one of the suggestions (Tranz's post) was to replace the existing runtime with an older version in order to get the BubbleUPnP Server to install:

Incidentally, the renderer the OP is using is the exaSound PlayPoint. Do you know why the user manual (and your own recent review) require using the BubbleUPnP Server with the PlayPoint for OpenHome, when it already has OpenHome support built-in? See posts #16 - #21 on the OP's other thread:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/plugplayer-or-minimserver-question-27171/#post502548

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

At first I had the very early beta version of the Playpoint, which needed Bubbleserver. I am not 100% sure that a firmware update didn't bring OpenHome capability without having to use BubbleServer. Must be true, as OP seems to be able to use Lumin as a control point with no Bubbleserver installed. I will clarify with George.

Net net, though, is that my installation of Minimserver and BuubleServer on my Snyology did not need some version of older java. Whatever Minim needed was fine for Bubble.

At first I had the very early beta version of the Playpoint, which needed Bubbleserver. I am not 100% sure that a firmware update didn't bring OpenHome capability without having to use BubbleServer. Must be true, as OP seems to be able to use Lumin as a control point with no Bubbleserver installed. I will clarify with George.
Ah that makes sense, thanks Ted.

As the Playpoint is MPD based, it's likely to also be using the excellent Upmpdcli front end client for MPD, which provides both standard UPnP and OpenHome renderer support. The default setting for Upmpdcli is to operate in both its standard UPnP and OpenHome modes at the same time, but it can be switched to just be a pure standard UPnP renderer or a pure OpenHome renderer.

One big clue that the it is Upmpdcli that the Playpoint may be indeed using as its internal UPnP/OpenHome renderer, is that Upmpdcli doesn't currently support OpenHome's Streaming Services. The OpenHome Streaming Services includes native access to TIDAL, the reason for the OP wanting to use the BubbleUPnP Server with the PlayPoint.

-- Jo Cox