IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - NAA Output Mode

vortecjr

No, Mojo supports 768. Music sounds great other than the dropouts. Using the 2 stage filers and with lowest SDM modulators in HQP.

PS Audio P5 Power Plant>HQ Player Mac Book Pro BootCamp Win10>NAA Mac Mini BootCamp Win 10>REGEN Green>REGEN Amber>IFI iDSD Micro>BHSE>Stax SR-009

I should have elaborated that I am using the latest 3.4 NAA and 3.14b5.

Bit confused by the mention of NAA version. Are you referring to the version loaded on the mRendu? Or are you using a separate NAA device?

Hopefully you don't have the NAA software and the HQP software running on the same computer. On your server, only HQP is required.

The reason for asking is the mRendu has the HQP NAA software built-in.

Sorry for the questions but just trying to understand your setup.

I have been using my Chord Mojo with Roon/HQPlayer up sampling Tidal to 352 PCM and it works fine with the MicroRendu.

I have been trying up sampling to DSD 128 and DSD256 over DoP and I get a dropout at the start of a track and intermittently thereafter. When substitute DACs to the IFI Micro, I can play DSD512 no issues (in DSD native).

Does DoP have that much additional overhead that it is maxing out my PC (CPU utilization does not seem that high) or is there an issue with MicroRendu and Mojo in DoP?

The answer is that DoP has almost no overhead.

Simplify the setup to see if you can isolate the problem

A few suggestions to try:

Downgrade to non beta version of HQP

Try playing back direct from HQP (shut Roon down) and see if you still have the problem;

Try playing back DSD in another mode such as RoonReady, and see if you still have the problem;

Try playing back direct to DAC (no mR) over USB and see if you still have the problem;

Try a different USB DAC that can work in DoP - preferably from a different company - and see if you still have the problem

These experiments should help you figure out where the problem is: software, HW, etc.

I had a similar problem that on occurred during playback from the mR, but only in HQP NAA mode. Some kind of communication/network issue between the mR and my router (apparently) - but only in that mR mode.

I solved it by adding in a network switch between the router and the mR and server combo.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I have been using my Chord Mojo with Roon/HQPlayer up sampling Tidal to 352 PCM and it works fine with the MicroRendu.

I have been trying up sampling to DSD 128 and DSD256 over DoP and I get a dropout at the start of a track and intermittently thereafter.

I have experienced similar with my Mojo but when playing DSD64. PCM plays fine, even upsampled to max. I haven't aggressively tried to figure out why this is occurring though. I just assumed my use of optical fiber had something to do with it.

I didn't really like what I heard from upsampling to higher rate DSD, though there may have been a slight advantage to upsampling to max rate PCM.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

• 2 weeks later...

Transport: Roon lost connection with the audio device

I'm testing HQPlayer. I always get the above error message after about 2 hours playing. I suppose it is some sort of an network issue. When playing without HQPlayer this is not an issue.

Miska's answer: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/hq-player-20293/index252.html#post574590

Can this problem be related to the SW in the MicroRendu ? Is there any information I can give you in order to investigate what causes this problem ?

The way I solve this is to restart HQPlayer from MicroRendu's fixed IP address. I have to press the the restart twice in order to get the confirmation in green text.

Then I have to open the settings in HQPlayer and press save. If I open settings first, the MicroRendu will not show up.

Roonserver is on a Qnap TS-453-Pro, and HQPlayer is an a HTPC. All wired network of cause. Fixed IP by using ipCop.

Is there a different way Roon and MicroRendu communicate in order to stay alive vs how the network is kept alive when HQPlayer is added to the loop ? (Just my guess where to look for the problem).

I'm testing HQPlayer. I always get the above error message after about 2 hours playing. I suppose it is some sort of an network issue. When playing without HQPlayer this is not an issue.

Miska's answer: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/hq-player-20293/index252.html#post574590

Can this problem be related to the SW in the MicroRendu ? Is there any information I can give you in order to investigate what causes this problem ?

The way I solve this is to restart HQPlayer from MicroRendu's fixed IP address. I have to press the the restart twice in order to get the confirmation in green text.

Then I have to open the settings in HQPlayer and press save. If I open settings first, the MicroRendu will not show up.

Roonserver is on a Qnap TS-453-Pro, and HQPlayer is an a HTPC. All wired network of cause. Fixed IP by using ipCop.

Is there a different way Roon and MicroRendu communicate in order to stay alive vs how the network is kept alive when HQPlayer is added to the loop ? (Just my guess where to look for the problem).

One of the reviews just posted said they had a similiar problem with wireless connected file server vs wired

"In addition, going to an Ethernet connection for my computer as opposed to WiFi solved an intermittent dropout of the music I was experiencing. This also fixed an issue that I was having with the HQPlayer streaming to the microRendu."

Sonore by Simple Design microRendu: An Audiophile Odyssey | AudioStream

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

One of the reviews just posted said they had a similiar problem with wireless connected file server vs wired

"In addition, going to an Ethernet connection for my computer as opposed to WiFi solved an intermittent dropout of the music I was experiencing. This also fixed an issue that I was having with the HQPlayer streaming to the microRendu."

Tanks for letting me know.

Well, I'm not using wifi. This tells us that there are network issues with one of the products. Or when they are combined with HQPlayer.

So I hope someone can investigate where the error is. As it happens after a while, may be a good indicator of where to look.

It is interesting the reviewer write this "After about 30 minutes of play, the connection between the microRendu and the HQPlayer was disconnected."

I can see an interesting discussion about Ethernet cabling will start based on that review. :)

These protocols are different and each has it's way of dealing with issues. You best bet is to generate a log in HQ P and ask Jussi for feedback.

The 30 minute mark corresponds to the trial version limit on HQ Player.

The 30 minute mark corresponds to the trial version limit on HQ Player.

That 30 minute limit only applies to the trial version on HQPlayer on OS X. Steven Plaskin was using Windows 10.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Just out of curiosity...how does the trial version of HQ Player on Windows work?

It works great. :) The trial on Windows is a simple 30 day timer that shows up whenever you start HQPlayer (typical "you want to buy now or keep trialing"). HQP is full-function.

• 3 weeks later...

I am on the trial version of HQP (3.13.3) running on Win10 64bit and trying to connect to a Sonicorbiter set to NAA. HQP is set to backend NAA. I have tried two different DAC : 1) Oppo BDP-105D (Sonicorbiter connected to Oppo via USB), 2) an older digital preamp/processor, Tact RCS 2.2x (Sonicorbiter connected to Tact via Toslink) ; same result with both DAC... neither are visible in HQP (empty DAC list).

Note that all devices are on the same mini-switch and I disabled all firewall/AV on the PC. And BTW the Sonicorbiter is working fine when set in Roon mode, so there is something weird going on with NAA.

Could someone point me to the HQP beta version 3.14 as I don't find it on their website.

For all these people that are having problems with HQP and a microRendu, has anybody tried running wireshark on the HQP computer to actually see what is happening over the wire?

John S.

Just tried wireshark but I am not an expert... Note it is a sonicorbiter (latest firmware) not a microrendu (I want it to work on sonicorbiter before jumping on microrendu :-)

When I start HQP I see my PC communicating with my NAS, accessing over SMB2 the specific music folder I defined in HQP, and then I see 3 specific communications that are coming for a source "CiscoInc" which I believe is my main switch and these communications are directly followed by a "Malformed Packet" reply (CAT-TP protocol).

These 3 communications are:

1) spanning tree for bridges (protocol STP)

2) LLDP multicast (protocol LLDP)

3) spanning tree for bridgers (protocol STP)

I can share the trace if that helps.

Just tried wireshark but I am not an expert... Note it is a sonicorbiter (latest firmware) not a microrendu (I want it to work on sonicorbiter before jumping on microrendu :-)

When I start HQP I see my PC communicating with my NAS, accessing over SMB2 the specific music folder I defined in HQP, and then I see 3 specific communications that are coming for a source "CiscoInc" which I believe is my main switch and these communications are directly followed by a "Malformed Packet" reply (CAT-TP protocol).

These 3 communications are:

1) spanning tree for bridges (protocol STP)

2) LLDP multicast (protocol LLDP)

3) spanning tree for bridgers (protocol STP)

I can share the trace if that helps.

Do these DACs show in Apps / DAC Diagnostics?

Do these DACs show in Apps / DAC Diagnostics?

Yes the Oppo is clearly recognised on USB in the DAC Diagonostic, it includes detailed information (and I did most of my test with this DAC as it is much more recent and quite standard).

Toslink it is less clear, the DAC diagnostic only mentions generic information but not the name of the TacT, it may not be surprising as this unit is about 15 years old ... and it is more than a DAC, it is a digital room correction processor (it includes a DAC)

Yes the Oppo is clearly recognised on USB in the DAC Diagonostic, it includes detailed information (and I did most of my test with this DAC as it is much more recent and quite standard).

Toslink it is less clear, the DAC diagnostic only mentions generic information but not the name of the TacT, it may not be surprising as this unit is about 15 years old ... and it is more than a DAC, it is a digital room correction processor (it includes a DAC)

Can you follow this update procedure? Let me know when you get to step 5.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonore-sonicorbiter-se-27028/index16.html#post580722

Can you follow this update procedure? Let me know when you get to step 5.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonore-sonicorbiter-se-27028/index16.html#post580722

It was already on FW2.3, but I re-applied it. It was fast as it was already in place, rebooted and then followed step 5 : I went to settings, did not noticed anything wrong, but pressed "save settings", it said "network configuration saved please reboot" (something like that). Rebooted once again... but still nothing in HQP. I only have the Oppo connected on USB at the moment. I took several screen shots I can send them if it is of any help.

It was already on FW2.3, but I re-applied it. It was fast as it was already in place, rebooted and then followed step 5 : I went to settings, did not noticed anything wrong, but pressed "save settings", it said "network configuration saved please reboot" (something like that). Rebooted once again... but still nothing in HQP. I only have the Oppo connected on USB at the moment. I took several screen shots I can send them if it is of any help.

Go to Settings / RoonReady and press Save. Then go to Apps / Apps Switcher and select NAA as the output mode.