IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - NAA Output Mode

vortecjr

On 28/05/2017 at 9:34 AM, Theobetley said:

Ever since I have gone to the new Sonicorbiter operating system flash card I have been experiencing HQP stoppage caused by no device showing in settings. Usually happens when I warm up the system and run the dac volume control at a low level. Any ideas? I am running HQP 3.16.4 and am running my pc to a microRendu to my Vinnie Dac.

I am having this too, but with the old OS. It seems to be a problem from HQPlayer, Miska is already investigating it.

Audio system: APL Streamer-> APL DSD-MR MK2 DAC -> Audiopax Maggiore L50 Pre and M100 Monoblocks -> Tidal Contriva G2 speakers

3 hours ago, Joaovieira said:

I am having this too, but with the old OS. It seems to be a problem from HQPlayer, Miska is already investigating it.

+1 Switched my system to RoonReady mode as a result of this issue. In that mode it doesn't happen. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/05/2017 at 3:39 PM, firedog said:

+1 Switched my system to RoonReady mode as a result of this issue. In that mode it doesn't happen. 

Firegog, I just did it, roonready. I am amazed how better it is playing. All the dynamic I lost after swiching from Big7 to Aqua Formula is back much better.

Than I chose DoP and the SQ is also amazing.

what leads me to believe that for the Formula and mRendu playing PCM direcly is not the best way.

Audio system: APL Streamer-> APL DSD-MR MK2 DAC -> Audiopax Maggiore L50 Pre and M100 Monoblocks -> Tidal Contriva G2 speakers

3 hours ago, Theobetley said:

How does Roon sound versus HQP?

I think it is system dependent. Now, in my system, RoonReady mode is better.

but I have to try other configutations with HQplayer and let the dac break in more hours.

In my system there's a slight level of refinement when going from Roon to HQP. A bit like a C class to an S class.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

6 hours ago, Theobetley said:

How does Roon sound versus HQP?

Roon has now improved it's DSP engine. I still think HQP sounds a little better. But only a little. 

HQP also gives more options for filtering, etc. So you can get closer to your ideal sound.

But Roon to RoonReady device is a rock solid interface. No issues. Unlike HQP>Roon>NAA, which has some issues.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

yes i have similar experience that roon and hq player are very close in sq (playing converted dsd files). in fact roon conversion runs much faster and sounds more dynamic, where hq player has more refined sound but a little restrained comparatively. this could be due to my computer not being fast enough for hq player.

36 minutes ago, mahi said:

yes i have similar experience that roon and hq player are very close in sq (playing converted dsd files). in fact roon conversion runs much faster and sounds more dynamic, where hq player has more refined sound but a little restrained comparatively. this could be due to my computer not being fast enough for hq player.

My computer is fast enough for HQplayer and the result is exactly what you described.

On 2017-6-9 at 7:34 PM, Joaovieira said:

My computer is fast enough for HQplayer and the result is exactly what you described.

I have some new findings.

If I select the +6db gain option in HQ player, I get more Roon-like sound, i.e. more dynamics.

On the other hand if I reduce the SDM gain adjustment in Roon (to -3db in my case), I get Roon sound more like HQ player, i.e. more refinement.

Perhaps it's a gain issue. The two players now sound very close to one another.

4 hours ago, mahi said:

If I select the +6db gain option in HQ player, I get more Roon-like sound, i.e. more dynamics.

On the other hand if I reduce the SDM gain adjustment in Roon (to -3db in my case), I get Roon sound more like HQ player, i.e. more refinement.

Thanks for sharing. I will try this.

• 1 month later...
On 6/13/2017 at 4:59 AM, mahi said:

just to clarify..........are you saying that changing the gains gives different dynamic ranges or headroom or that your comparisons are now better level matched to each other?

On 2017-7-15 at 8:35 AM, cat6man said:

just to clarify..........are you saying that changing the gains gives different dynamic ranges or headroom or that your comparisons are now better level matched to each other?

Hi you would have try and decide yourself. I left the volume equal for both, but Roon always seems to sound 'louder' with no apparent reason, and thats' why I tried the SDM gain in HQP. 

• 1 month later...

Hello all.  I've done some searching, but no avail (yet) in finding anything to help my current situation.  Simply getting HQP to communicate w/ the mR seems to be an ongoing PITA.  Anywho.. rant done, here's what I have:

• Powerful Windows 10 machine w/ the latest OS updates, all drivers have been updated, and the antivirus has been turned off
  • microRendu w/ latest OS: 2.7, been through the SonicOrbiter site's usuals: verified latest version, but still initiated updates then rebooted, confirmed DAC showing, clicked DAC to Max Volume, Audio App Switcher is showing HQP, restarted the HQP app (v 3.5.6)... anything I missed?
  • Latest version of HQP (3.25.3); when starting, it doesn't find the NAA/mR, so nothing becomes available on the drop-down below the "backend" choice window (see attached snippet).. doesn't matter if I try "NetworkAudioAdapter" or "NetworkAudioAdapter IPv6", the "Device" drop-down below is always blank.

When I had the Roon trial, it found & made the connection w/o a glitch. 

I'd eventually like to use HQPDControl on my tablet to control my Windows desktop/HQP.

PLEASE HELP

InkedCapture_LI.jpg

On 4/6/2019 at 1:07 PM, vortecjr said:

Update the unit, wait for the Back to Main Menu link, and reboot the unit. Then in HQ Player Settings select the none IPv6 backend.

I appreciate the response.. THANK YOU

I've implemented the steps you've outlined, in the same sequence, but still no avail.  Hoping you have other suggestions/insights(?)

4 hours ago, akacree said:

I appreciate the response.. THANK YOU

I've implemented the steps you've outlined, in the same sequence, but still no avail.  Hoping you have other suggestions/insights(?)

Let's use the nuclear option....uninstall the app, reboot, then reinstall the app. Also, make sure the DAC is listed in Apps / DAC Diagnostics as well. 

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

Let's use the nuclear option....uninstall the app, reboot, then reinstall the app. Also, make sure the DAC is listed in Apps / DAC Diagnostics as well. 

My DAC (Border Patrol) doesn’t show uo, just the Ultrarendu it is connected to.  Should it be showing up as Boeder Patrol?  If so, how do I make that happen?  Thanks,

10 minutes ago, Donivey said:

My DAC (Border Patrol) doesn’t show uo, just the Ultrarendu it is connected to.  Should it be showing up as Boeder Patrol?  If so, how do I make that happen?  Thanks,

The Rendu needs to sees your DAC before it will show up in the player. To verify if the Rendu sees yours DAC go to Apps / DAC Diagnostics. If the DAC is not listed you may have to remove and reconnect the USB cable, then refresh the page. If your DAC is still not listed try power cycling the DAC followed by power cycling the Rendu and then go to Apps / DAC Diagnostics. 

• 3 months later...
On 4/11/2019 at 6:28 PM, vortecjr said:

Hello vortecjrI've been through a move & finally getting around to trying to set this all up again. Same scenario is still happening. I took your advice and went the "nuclear option" route, reinstalled, made sure the DAC is listed in the DAC Diagnostics section of the MySonicorbiter web interface, and still no avail. Open to any new suggestions you may have...

After making sure all is good/squared-away/confirmed on the MySonicorbiter interface, I fire up HQP & always get the error message “Failed to open audio device. Please check settings!” Then I click on OK, the settings window appears, then I try to navigate HQPlayer to find my microRendu/NAA. Under Device Settings, I’ll switch from “NetworkAudioAdapter” and “NetworkAudioAdapter IPv6”, neither produces anything selectable under the Device drop down.

It used to work some years & versions ago, but it doesn’t today. When I had a trial version of Roon, the Roon Core would recognize my microRendu/NAA all day, without a glitch.

15 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

I can't think of a reason why Roon would work and not NAA. Have you updated things recently?

Yes -- all software and firmware has been updated to the latest versions. 

I hope I haven't miscommunicated my situation.. could be you didn't see my earlier post. I can't seem to get HQP to recognize the backend NAA, but the Roon Core did it without a glitch. 

2 hours ago, akacree said:

Yes -- all software and firmware has been updated to the latest versions. 

I hope I haven't miscommunicated my situation.. could be you didn't see my earlier post. I can't seem to get HQP to recognize the backend NAA, but the Roon Core did it without a glitch. 

That is what I understood. Have you reached out to Jussi at HQ Player for additional support?