IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - NAA Output Mode

vortecjr

Hello all fellow rendu users, this is my first CA post. Rendu is great! It works well and sounds superb under squeezelite and Roon mode (though I slightly prefer squeezelite). But I can't get NAA running.

My setup is very simple. One iMac with ethernet port connected directly to rendu, and a thunderbolt-to-ethernet converter giving me a second ethernet port connected directly to my internet modem. I have no router and there is no other computer in use. So there's only 3 parts, rendu, iMac, and modem.

I have exact same problem with others, i.e., with rendu set to NAA mode, HQ player can't find/see the rendu under device settings. I tried to play with some of the network setting in mac os but they seem not relevant or not helping.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone can help.

Hi,

I got myself a router and now rendu and NAA mode work together fine. But I note one small problem, I make use of the "speaker setup" feature to adjust for channel imbalance in my room. It works well in pcm mode but NOT in PCM-to-DSM mode, i.e., if I upsample a pcm file to dsd file to play, it won't take the adjustment I made in the speaker setup. Is this a bug or something to do with the dsd upsampling process?

• 6 months later...

yes i have similar experience that roon and hq player are very close in sq (playing converted dsd files). in fact roon conversion runs much faster and sounds more dynamic, where hq player has more refined sound but a little restrained comparatively. this could be due to my computer not being fast enough for hq player.

On 2017-6-9 at 7:34 PM, Joaovieira said:

My computer is fast enough for HQplayer and the result is exactly what you described.

I have some new findings.

If I select the +6db gain option in HQ player, I get more Roon-like sound, i.e. more dynamics.

On the other hand if I reduce the SDM gain adjustment in Roon (to -3db in my case), I get Roon sound more like HQ player, i.e. more refinement.

Perhaps it's a gain issue. The two players now sound very close to one another.

• 1 month later...
On 2017-7-15 at 8:35 AM, cat6man said:

just to clarify..........are you saying that changing the gains gives different dynamic ranges or headroom or that your comparisons are now better level matched to each other?

Hi you would have try and decide yourself. I left the volume equal for both, but Roon always seems to sound 'louder' with no apparent reason, and thats' why I tried the SDM gain in HQP.