IGNORED

Curious Cables Configiurations Connections and Conversations (about)...

Took delivery of a 20cm CC Regen Link early last week. Have about 90 hours on it at this point. Once it's passed the 100 hour mark I will do some comparisons and experimenting. Using an Auralic Aries and a .7m Supra USB from it to the Uptone Regen. I've a self imposed $150 limit on USB cables and the Supra in the best I've found so far, and at half that cost. The CCRG (Curious Cable Regen Link) feeds into a Lampizator Level 4 Gen5 DAC (which I LOOOVE, BTW).

Working strictly from aural memory, I'd say that the CCRG has taken my USB playback to a heightened level. Will be interesting when I start playing with things. Two AQ Jitterbugs I purchased have been out of the system for quite some time. I felt, ultimately, that even one of them smoothed things out too much for my taste and took some "life" out of the music. Will have to revisit that situation also.

Since both the Aries and Lampi have both USB and RCA/SPDIF connections I have the option of using either for PCM up to 24/192. After careful comparison, I have preferred to use RCA for PCM and defer to USB for DSD out of necessity. The RCA/SPDIF connection just sounds better, more like music, to me even compared with the tricked out USB connection. I HAVE NOT done this comparison since the CCRL has been in place so this experiment is also on my "To Do" list.

Took delivery of a 20cm CC Regen Link early last week. Have about 90 hours on it at this point. Once it's passed the 100 hour mark I will do some comparisons and experimenting. Using an Auralic Aries and a .7m Supra USB from it to the Uptone Regen. I've a self imposed $150 limit on USB cables and the Supra in the best I've found so far, and at half that cost. The CCRG (Curious Cable Regen Link) feeds into a Lampizator Level 4 Gen5 DAC (which I LOOOVE, BTW).

Working strictly from aural memory, I'd say that the CCRG has taken my USB playback to a heightened level. Will be interesting when I start playing with things. Two AQ Jitterbugs I purchased have been out of the system for quite some time. I felt, ultimately, that even one of them smoothed things out too much for my taste and took some "life" out of the music. Will have to revisit that situation also.

Since both the Aries and Lampi have both USB and RCA/SPDIF connections I have the option of using either for PCM up to 24/192. After careful comparison, I have preferred to use RCA for PCM and defer to USB for DSD out of necessity. The RCA/SPDIF connection just sounds better, more like music, to me even compared with the tricked out USB connection. I HAVE NOT done this comparison since the CCRL has been in place so this experiment is also on my "To Do" list.

Here's my follow up on the 20cm CCRL. It didn't work out for me and is now on its way back to Curious Cable. I'll let my correspondence with Rob Woodland tell the story:

1: "Hello Rob,

I've used the CCRL for about 10 days now. At this point it has accumulated 135-140 hours of active playing/burn-in time using various types of music files.

There's no doubt that it's sound is different than what I experience with the standard hard connector as supplied by Uptone Audio. In my case, after very careful comparison, in my system I honestly prefer what I'm getting with the hard connector. I like the fuller sound, more upfront sound particularly with vocals.

The digital front end of my system is an Auralic Aries feeding the Regen via a Supra .7m USB cable then on to a Lampizator DAC. All DC power, including that to the Regen is supplied by and HDPlex 100w LPSU.

Please advise on how I proceed as per your 30 day return policy.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Doak"

2: "Hi Doak,

Thanks for your message - and no problem. Just return the cable by airmail and send the tracking number. I'll then refund your investment.

System synergy is what it's all about - so sure, the Curious may not fit the bill every time.

Before sending it back - here's an interesting test. Can you position your Aries close to your DAC (like on top) and just use the 200mm Regen Link - no Regen. Try not to twist the Link. May be tricky - BUT will provide valuable info.

Cheers,

Rob"

3: "Hi Rob,

The cable is on its way back to you via International Priority Mail.

I attempted to do as you requested but was unable to connect the Aries to the Lampizator using ionly the 20cm cable.

I did manage to connect the Aries and DAC using the CCRL and Uptone Regen. My brief listen was not encouraging.

Thanks for the opportunity to try the CCRL. Looks I'll be "holding steady" for a while as I am getting truly lovely sound out of this system.

Best Regards,

Doak"

BTW: Doing business with Rob/Curious Cable was nothing but a pleasure.

All communications were responded to nearly instantaneously. Within 15 minutes of my emailing him that I had mailed the cable for return I received notice that I'd been refunded the full purchase cost via PayPal.