Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
pmctexas

Cary Audio DMS-500

Recommended Posts

On 11/15/2017 at 10:58 PM, thyname said:

Does this work with subwoofers?

 

Nobody has any answer to this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@thyname : another approach to utilizing subwoofers with the DMS is to use the unused outputs as both balanced & unbalanced outlets are simultaneously active. Your subwoofers will need their own crossover and achieving proper frequency balance may be a bit more challenging.  


Current audio system: late 2012 Mac Mini I7 quad-core with RoonServer, direct Ethernet cat8 to Cary DMS-500 network streamer/DAC, Bryston 4B SST2 amp, 2-JLA E110 subs, Maggie1.7s, iPad with RoonRemote

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ahwelch said:

@thyname : another approach to utilizing subwoofers with the DMS is to use the unused outputs as both balanced & unbalanced outlets are simultaneously active. Your subwoofers will need their own crossover and achieving proper frequency balance may be a bit more challenging.  

 

 Well, what a coincidence you post this. Ordered one yesterday. Arrives on Thursday.

 

For starter, I will hook it up to my Preamp- Parasound Halo P5. Which does crossovers for both subs and mains.

 

thanks for chiming in!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This product contains an illegal version of the open source MPD to which MQA was added, which is illegal and a severe copyright violation. The author of MPD has terminated Cary's right to distribute MPD, as they did not provide the source code of their version of MPD with both the Roon and MQA SDK added.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got disappointed the DMS-500 with few problems.  It seems a lot to convenience but Sound Quality is just as much as the NODE2 of BLUESOUND compared to the performance per price, even I bought this unit at Black Friday with almost half price. It was annoying they did make the first unit was defective.

They updated firmwares updates several times, I haven't touched it to my music system. Its retail price $4999 , I guess I determine the value around $1999, however.  Advantage is  ALL IN ONE including DSD, ROON ready and many configuration chances but that's all. 

I'm let down in Cary ;  quality of sound if you think over the price.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just ordered my Cary dms -500 today !  Traded my auralic aries since that would be a redundant piece with the Cary..I will have ps audio m700 monos for my main speakers the nice Marten Django XL and will be running the Cary via xlr into my EMotiva XMC1 stereo inputs via xlr so that i can maintain a home theater bypass and also listen to the Cary with the Emotiva running in Stereo Reference mode which is thier bypass mode ..anyone else doing anything like this? thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2018 at 5:05 AM, dayworker said:

I got disappointed the DMS-500 with few problems.  It seems a lot to convenience but Sound Quality is just as much as the NODE2 of BLUESOUND compared to the performance per price, even I bought this unit at Black Friday with almost half price. It was annoying they did make the first unit was defective.

They updated firmwares updates several times, I haven't touched it to my music system. Its retail price $4999 , I guess I determine the value around $1999, however.  Advantage is  ALL IN ONE including DSD, ROON ready and many configuration chances but that's all. 

I'm let down in Cary ;  quality of sound if you think over the price.  

I personally know a Cary dealer who told me the Quality control isn't good andscared me away. Of course he's also annoyed at their direct sales model, so take his comments in context. 


Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Very Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>RPi4 (dietpi)>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: Server>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)>Schiit Freya>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup. Living Room/Kitchen: RPi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, firedog said:

I personally know a Cary dealer who told me the Quality control isn't good andscared me away. Of course he's also annoyed at their direct sales model, so take his comments in context. 

 

Dealers are full of BS on Cary - exactly for the reason you mentioned - them selling direct. Especially with Cary's current pricing tiers.

 

The DMS-500 is a superb streaming DAC for its price range, and up to a $10,000 unit. Pity it does not get the praise that it fully reserves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

anyone having connectivity issues with the dms 500 ? EIther freezing or unable to maintain wireless connectivity?  Just curious as to what the fix is? returned unit as defective or debug? thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any more news or comparisons to your previous gear? 


Peach Audio Iso Transformer, Linn Akurate DSM, McIntosh MA2275 

Paradigm 30th Anniversary Tributes, SVS SB13 Ultra x2, Dynaudio BM5A MKII

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...