IGNORED

Cary Audio DMS-500

Hi - I just got word my Cary DMS-500 Network Audio Server ships on Monday. I'm moving from a USB DAC connected Windows 10 Desktop to a Music Server. I have bunch of DSF files and interested to see (hear) any improvements versus current PC running JRiver. I didn't see another thread on this device so perhaps this is a start of one... My current other DAC's are the Lampizator Amber and Gungnir...

Thanks

• 3 months later...

I had a few issues with the unit. It had annoying clicks between tracks. It took a lot to convince them that it was annoying as they wanted to blame the source files. They eventually did a unit swap stating the first unit was defective. The next unit did the same thing but when I changed it out of pre-amp mode the clicks went away. Not sure why they didn't know that or even ask me to try that on the first unit. Also, a couple of code issues that they fixed with firmware updates (to be expected on a computer based device). I haven't moved it to my big system yet for comparison with the Lampi. Pro's include single box solution, DSD, solid build, and lots of configuration options. I'm still doing sound comparisons with the Gungnir. Overall, I'm disappointed in Cary especially given the price, treatment and what the competition is doing...

• 6 months later...

I have my DMS-500 for 11 months now. It went back again for a new screen which was covered under warranty including shipping. Latest software upgrade added MQA which was a nice plus even though I do not have any MQA music. Sound quality is great at least compared to a PC running Jriver. I found some goofy to me quirks which I sent to Cary buy no major interface code changes so far. iOS control works well. I have mixed feelings to recommend given the price point.

• 1 month later...