IGNORED

Gapless question

Gapless is governed by the player. There is no gapless information in the files.

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

Gapless is governed by the player. There is no gapless information in the files.

Thanks for responding. I would think that there would be some way to find this out. Regular, discrete, music files would have silence between them, gapless, in theory, should not have any silence between two consecutive files. Couldn't you compare the end of one file with the beginning of the next file to look for the silent gap or absence thereof?

Jim

Not sure what you are after.

“Gapless” playback of two files happen if they were mixed/produced to sound like that. If not you have a playback problem or a player/renderer that does not support gapless.

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

Thanks for responding. I would think that there would be some way to find this out. Regular, discrete, music files would have silence between them, gapless, in theory, should not have any silence between two consecutive files. Couldn't you compare the end of one file with the beginning of the next file to look for the silent gap or absence thereof?

Many music files start and end with silence. If a player adds a slight gap between these, no harm is done. Sometimes a long performance is split into separately titled tracks with the intent that that be played back gaplessly. A pause between such tracks is very obvious and quite annoying. If a track doesn't start (or end) with at least a few tens of milliseconds near silence, chances are it is meant to me played gaplessly with the preceding (or following) track. In general, playing everything gaplessly ends up doing the right thing.

Many music files start and end with silence. If a player adds a slight gap between these, no harm is done. Sometimes a long performance is split into separately titled tracks with the intent that that be played back gaplessly. A pause between such tracks is very obvious and quite annoying. If a track doesn't start (or end) with at least a few tens of milliseconds near silence, chances are it is meant to me played gaplessly with the preceding (or following) track. In general, playing everything gaplessly ends up doing the right thing.

I do have gapless capability through my audio chain, so my question is not for lack of it but rather maybe just out of my own curiosity :)

If I remember correctly, way back at the beginning of iTunes you could specify music files to be linked together. I haven't used iTunes for ages, don't know what it's features are now.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
I do have gapless capability through my audio chain, so my question is not for lack of it but rather maybe just out of my own curiosity :)

If I remember correctly, way back at the beginning of iTunes you could specify music files to be linked together. I haven't used iTunes for ages, don't know what it's features are now.

All the "gapless" setting in iTunes does is tell it not to crossfade those tracks when crossfade is enabled.

Is there any way of determining whether a recording has gapless information, either during ripping or after ripping analysis?

James45974,

As I understand in your context gapless is uninterrupting of audio stuff that contains in neghbour tracks.

Impossibly detect the gapless if neghbour tracks have zero level of first/last samples in border.

Otherwise, when neghbout files merged at borderand be:

1. Noise splash - between 1 and 2 files wass lost samples;

2. No splash - no lost samples or unproblematic losing of samples.

gapless-iso-conversion.png

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature