IGNORED

Audirvana + 2.0 v. Pure Music 3.0.6

I use a Mac for all my music server purposes. Can you all share your experiences using Audirvana+ 2.0 and/or Pure Music 3.0.6.

I hope to finally get my first DAC (headphone amp/DAC with PCM and DSD) soon, and would like to hear your experiences with the above-mentioned software.

Although I'd really like a DAC like the Ayre Codex, I'm probably more like in reach of Marantz HD-DAC1 or perhaps some iFi combo of products with an emphasis on DSD.

Thanks for your help, thoughts, and experiences.....

I use a Mac for all my music server purposes. Can you all share your experiences using Audirvana+ 2.0 and/or Pure Music 3.0.6.

I hope to finally get my first DAC (headphone amp/DAC with PCM and DSD) soon, and would like to hear your experiences with the above-mentioned software.

Although I'd really like a DAC like the Ayre Codex, I'm probably more like in reach of Marantz HD-DAC1 or perhaps some iFi combo of products with an emphasis on DSD.

Thanks for your help, thoughts, and experiences.....

Your question is so general, I doubt that you will get many responses.

I demo'ed Pure Music, but found it over-complicated, and hated the GUI. I also own HQPlayer, but I don't have a DSD-capable or NOS DAC, so it's not the most useful choice.

I've been using Audirvana Plus since v1.4.9.7. I don't use the proprietary database features, or the iZotope upsampling, but I do like the AudioUnits plug-in capability. I added a couple of free 3rd party plug-ins to fine-tune L/R channel balance and/or EQ.

I just use it in PlayQueue mode by dragging-and-dropping music files from any and all Desktop music folders into the playlist window. It's so simple to use, never screws up, and sounds excellent. I'm going to stick with v2.2.4 for now, since that is the last iteration that supports OSX 10.6.8 on my desktop iMac, although I'm also running it on my dedicated MBP music server with Mavericks.

Bottom line: it's the most reasonably-priced, feature-laden, and best-sounding player for Mac out there, plus the developer, Damien Plisson, is a member of this forum, and is always available to address any issues. For my purposes, Audirvana is near-perfect.

Personally I would avoid any player that is integrated with iTunes. iTunes is too restrictive wrt file types.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Your question is so general, I doubt that you will get many responses.

I demo'ed Pure Music, but found it over-complicated, and hated the GUI. I also own HQPlayer, but I don't have a DSD-capable or NOS DAC, so it's not the most useful choice.

I've been using Audirvana Plus since v1.4.9.7. I don't use the proprietary database features, or the iZotope upsampling, but I do like the AudioUnits plug-in capability. I added a couple of free 3rd party plug-ins to fine-tune L/R channel balance and/or EQ.

I just use it in PlayQueue mode by dragging-and-dropping music files from any and all Desktop music folders into the playlist window. It's so simple to use, never screws up, and sounds excellent. I'm going to stick with v2.2.4 for now, since that is the last iteration that supports OSX 10.6.8 on my desktop iMac, although I'm also running it on my dedicated MBP music server with Mavericks.

Bottom line: it's the most reasonably-priced, feature-laden, and best-sounding player for Mac out there, plus the developer, Damien Plisson, is a member of this forum, and is always available to address any issues. For my purposes, Audirvana is near-perfect.

I think with Damien Plisson (developer of Audirvana +) on board the CA forum, and perhaps being the true voice who helps guide our ambitions of sonic perfection via computers, I think I would not only stick with my Audirvana+ 1.86, but will also proceed with upgrading to the current version/revision of Audirvana+ 2.0.

Long time Pure Music user - used it integrated with iTunes. With version 2, gapless was a bit quirky with integer mode, but once finally set up right it worked pretty much flawlessly. Version 3 offers improvements, but I could not get it to work cleanly on my system, so I tried A+.

I've had zero issues with A+ integrated with iTunes. SQ wise, my preference is also for A+.

Pure Music's ability to play non iTunes compatible files from iTunes would be one of the main reasons for using Pure Music.

Main System: Mac mini (Audirvana+, MMK, JS-2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1) -> Icron 2201 (Rex LPS-1.2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1.2) -> Ayre QB-9 Twenty -> Headamp GS-X Mk2 -> Classe CT-M600 -> KEF Reference 201/2

I have up to date versions of both Pure Music and Audirvana.

With no upsampling applied, I have always preferred the sound of Pure Music in my system. Using PM in the Less is More mode sounded even better. Audirvana always sounded slightly 'flat' by comparison.

However, I have found PM to be far buggier in daily use and eventually I decided to spend some months using Audirvana with upsampling and gradually adjusting the Izotope settings. Eventually, I came up with a sound which is the best I have attained from my simple system for my ears.

Churchmouse (Tapatalk)

David

MacMini, Mytek Manhattan I DAC, Avantone The Abbey Monitors, Roon

When I am back home I can give you details of my settings.

However, I would caution that they are very much attuned to getting a sound I like from my set up (a Mytek Manhattan feeding directly in to a pair of AVI active speakers - which are bookshelf speakers with the inevitable limitations on low frequencies), and so the settings go for detail, separation and a tight bass (probably breaking all sorts of 'authenticity' rules in the process).

Churchmouse (Tapatalk)

David

MacMini, Mytek Manhattan I DAC, Avantone The Abbey Monitors, Roon

Does anyone out there have a problem with Audirvana picking up DSD? I have used it with an Ayre and Vega, and both had a real problem with playing DSD. Burning in a Gustard X20, and will try it this weekend but strange to be such an issue, at least with me.

• 4 weeks later...
Does anyone out there have a problem with Audirvana picking up DSD? I have used it with an Ayre and Vega, and both had a real problem with playing DSD. Burning in a Gustard X20, and will try it this weekend but strange to be such an issue, at least with me.

Gbar,

What was your experience with the Gustard?

AC

How does the Gustard sound on PCM?

Custard is very nice on PCM. For what its worth, listened to my Vega and Yggy. Compared to the Gustard, Gustard is more detailed than either, better soundstage, just as quiet. I sold goth the Vega and Yggy, and have been listening to the Gustard only for the last month. It is really the best deal out there IMHO. (System is Consellation Inspiration pre and amp, Berkeely Alpha usb, Magico s5 speakers, so YMMV). Sounds better with and without the Alpha than either also, FWIW

Custard is very nice on PCM. For what its worth, listened to my Vega and Yggy. Compared to the Gustard, Gustard is more detailed than either, better soundstage, just as quiet. I sold goth the Vega and Yggy, and have been listening to the Gustard only for the last month. It is really the best deal out there IMHO. (System is Consellation Inspiration pre and amp, Berkeely Alpha usb, Magico s5 speakers, so YMMV). Sounds better with and without the Alpha than either also, FWIW

Gbar,

Thanks. That's quite an endorsement, and consistent with another person's experience I've seen posted. Good luck with your DSD issues--I know it can be pretty frustrating, as I struggled for several weeks getting DSD to work on my Oppo with JRiver. Keep us posted, as I may need to leverage your learning--I'm pretty sure I'll order a Gustard when things open up after Lunar New Year.

One other question--I've heard great things about Berkeley's USB, but given that the Berkeley costs more (I think) than the X20U, why did you choose to go that way rather than use the USB in the Gustard?

AC