IGNORED

Ayre's new DVD player with USB input

An Open letter to Charlie Hanson:

Mr. Hanson,

Are you trying to kill me???????????????

I auditioned multiple USB and Firewire DACs and the QB-9. Chris Connaker (finally!) gets his review up (it was worth the wait), and I am leaning toward the QB-9.

Yesterday I got the 11/09 Stereophile, in which you contribute to an ad with an interview in essence stating that you worked with Oppo to build a new Blu-ray player with a USB input. Slow down! I can't keep up! I have a medical practice and 4 kids, I'm too old for this.

O.K. All joking aside, when is this new piece coming out? Have you set a retail price yet? I would love to kill 2 birds with one stone and get a Blu-ray player that could also serve the functions I was going to assign to the QB-9 or some other DAC. Is Beta testing done? How does the DAC with the USB input compare to the QB-9? MP filtering?

I need another degree to keep up. Aren't you tired?

Thanks in advance if you have the time to answer this, and sorry to the guys at Oppo if the player is coming soon and I get it, as I was going to get their Blu-ray player.

:^)

2.26 GHz Mac Mini (Late 2009), 8 GB RAM, 2 External Seagate 7200 RPM 1TB / Firewire 800/ Wavelength Wavelink/ Berkeley Audio Alpha DAC / Nordost Blue Heaven IC / Musical Fidelity KW 750 / Nordost Blue Heaven Speaker cable/ Magnepan MG 3.6r with MYE stands / Custom purpose built listening room

Ayre introduced their DX-5 universal disk player at Definitive Audio in Bellevue, WA last night. The box was still in prototype form but fully functional. The sound was fabulous. The QB-9 was demoed earlier in the presentation, and, while the QB-9 sounded great, the DX-5 was clearly better. The sound was much warmer with clearly articulated and powerful bass and also more detailed making the nuances of the performance more present. For video performance, the DX-5 was compared to the top of the line Pioneer (~$2300), and the presentation was more 3D with better color saturation. I don't recall if an introduction date was announced, but I'd expect in the next few months. The price... between $8k and $10k.

Thanks for the post. Were both playing through the USB inputs from the same source, or was the video player playing high res material from its transport?

Vis-a-vis the price:

Ouch.

2.26 GHz Mac Mini (Late 2009), 8 GB RAM, 2 External Seagate 7200 RPM 1TB / Firewire 800/ Wavelength Wavelink/ Berkeley Audio Alpha DAC / Nordost Blue Heaven IC / Musical Fidelity KW 750 / Nordost Blue Heaven Speaker cable/ Magnepan MG 3.6r with MYE stands / Custom purpose built listening room

The video demoed was read from the internal Blu-ray drive. The associated audio was 24/96 PCM. I also winced at the price. Quite a leap up from the Oppo, but the audio digital/analog stages and all power supplies have been completely redone. Of course the case is a lot more impressive.

The price sounds on par with the Lexicon another 'modded' Oppo model. Be interesting how they compare with some of the modded Oppo players from the like of CHT and Modwright.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.