IGNORED

If you like Prokofiev

You really want to check this one out. It's available from Naxos on line and the Mariinsky web sites.

It's got the fourth and fifth piano concertos and the 4th, 6th, and 7th symphonies.

81vNggqLVhL._SX425_.jpg

2012 MacMini 8G ram -> Audirvana + 3.0 -> Mcintosh MHA 100> Nordost > Audeze LCD X

Thank you for the recommendation.

I think I'll get it on SACD. The 2 disc set is 20€ including shipping on the Amazon.fr Marketplace, while the 24/48 download is 22.50€ on Qobuz.

FYI:

Piano Concerto No.4 and Symphonies 4 and 6 are DSD recordings made in the Mariinsky Concert Hall in 2015, while Piano Concerto No.5 and Symphony 7 were recorded live (PCM24bit / 48kHZ) in the Moscow Conservatory as part of the Moscow Easter Festival 2012.

HRAudio.net - Prokofiev: Symphonies 4, 6 & 7, Piano Concertos 4 & 5 - Volodin, Babyan, Gergiev

Claude

I think I'll get it on SACD. The 2 disc set is 20€ including shipping on the Amazon.fr Marketplace, while the 24/48 download is 22.50€ on Qobuz.

FYI:

HRAudio.net - Prokofiev: Symphonies 4, 6 & 7, Piano Concertos 4 & 5 - Volodin, Babyan, Gergiev

Yes, I saw the recording details on the Mariinsky label website. So, how they did the downsampling to 48kHz from the DSD recording?

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

FYI:

The download from Classics Online HD is quite a bit less.

2012 MacMini 8G ram -> Audirvana + 3.0 -> Mcintosh MHA 100> Nordost > Audeze LCD X

I had short discussion with the audio engineer responsible for this recording and indeed 5thpc & 7th native resolution is 24-48. 4,6 and 4thpc native resolution is DSD 64fs. He is saying that, if you found them on 24-48 that means they are downsampled.

He also mentioned that used new method of recording and could name it Wave Field Transfer. This is a theory how to calculate delays between mics to transfer real sound field from the hall to the listener. Interesting.

AFAIK, DSD can be based on 44.1kHz multiplication or 48kHz multiplication, so if Qobuz and others selling it at 24/48 would make sense, otherwise it's downsampled version.

--

Krzysztof Maj

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

I had short discussion with the audio engineer responsible for this recording and indeed 5thpc & 7th native resolution is 24-48. 4,6 and 4thpc native resolution is DSD 64fs. He is saying that, if you found them on 24-48 that means they are downsampled.

AFAIK, DSD can be based on 44.1kHz multiplication or 48kHz multiplication, so if Qobuz and others selling it at 24/48 would make sense, otherwise it's downsampled version.

DSD can be based on 48KHz multiplication, but then it would not be "DSD 64fs." 64fs means 64 times 44.1KHz, 2822400Hz (2.8MHz). So the engineer is of course correct, if you find the entire piece at 48KHz the DSD64 tracks are downsampled. (Of course they would be downsampled if offered at 44.1/88.2/176.4/352.8KHz as well, but the sample rates just divide evenly in those cases.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

DSD can be based on 48KHz multiplication, but then it would not be "DSD 64fs." 64fs means 64 times 44.1KHz, 2822400Hz (2.8MHz). So the engineer is of course correct, if you find the entire piece at 48KHz the DSD64 tracks are downsampled. (Of course they would be downsampled if offered at 44.1/88.2/176.4/352.8KHz as well, but the sample rates just divide evenly in those cases.)

Does it mean that 48kHz from 64fs is a wrong decision to offer it as download? Only Qobuz has it AFAIK. HD Classics DL offer CD quality only.

--

Krzysztof Maj

It's also available in 24/48 directly from the label, at a great price (£10).

Prokofiev: Symphonies and Concertos [digital] – The Mariinsky Label

They also offer an album recorded in DSD converted to 24/96 PCM, so their approach does not seem to be coherent.

Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No 1 [digital download] – The Mariinsky Label

Maybe they chose a 24/48 conversion for the Prokoviev DSD recordings because the rest of the album content is 24/48 native PCM

Claude

Downloading already.... Thanks!

--

Krzysztof Maj

They also offer an album recorded in DSD converted to 24/96 PCM, so their approach does not seem to be coherent.

Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No 1 [digital download] – The Mariinsky Label

Maybe they chose a 24/48 conversion for the Prokoviev DSD recordings because the rest of the album content is 24/48 native PCM

Are you still gonna buy SACD or go for DL?

--

Krzysztof Maj

Does it mean that 48kHz from 64fs is a wrong decision to offer it as download? Only Qobuz has it AFAIK. HD Classics DL offer CD quality only.

No, the conversion is not significantly more difficult. I think you use Audirvana? Try setting upsampling to powers of 2 only, then change the setting to max sample rate. This is mathematically similar to downsampling to 48KHz vs. 44.1KHz. Hear any difference?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

No, the conversion is not significantly more difficult. I think you use Audirvana? Try setting upsampling to powers of 2 only, then change the setting to max sample rate. This is mathematically similar to downsampling to 48KHz vs. 44.1KHz. Hear any difference?

Don't think so ;-) Just wanted to be sure what was the reason. Anyway, sound fantastic and in the scopes besides the superb dynamic there is no trace of the suspicious noise or wrong filtering. Recommended.

--

Krzysztof Maj

It's getting more difficult to decide ;)

I'm not attached to physical discs, however the SACD release has multichannel content that I will use the day I move to a house and can play my 2000+ classical SACD collection in glorious surround.

On my side it was much more easy to decide since I don't have SACD player ;-) Anyway, it sounds superb to my ears and congrats to Vladimir as audio engineer.

--

Krzysztof Maj

Another insight: DECCA mics used in with shoes mk 2s. 4 mics in the hall plus some close miking. 24-30 microphones in total - Vladimir recommend to listen in surround! All mics delayed except the last one which is zero delay. To see the whole "life" of the straight sound. From "born" till "die" on the 1st reflections wall.

Mixing and editing done in DXD on Pyramix.

--

Krzysztof Maj

Don't think so ;-) Just wanted to be sure what was the reason. Anyway, sound fantastic and in the scopes besides the superb dynamic there is no trace of the suspicious noise or wrong filtering. Recommended.

Would agree whole heartedly on the SQ, but IMHO the performance is the selling point. I will be checking out more from this conductor/pianist duo.

Would agree whole heartedly on the SQ, but IMHO the performance is the selling point. I will be checking out more from this conductor/pianist duo.

Sure,Ii didn't buy only for SQ :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--

Krzysztof Maj