IGNORED

Rotel RDD-1588 - who own this DAC

Hello,

Question to all of you who listened or better own this DAC and can chime in to say something about it? I am looking for good PCM only-DAC with good USB implementation and good power supply with this price range and find this ROTEL DAC quite interesting. What do you think? I am aware about the reviews and besides the fact that ROTEL is saying about 128dB S/N it measures around 113dB - around 20-bits, but I think it's quite a norm with this price range and this is not so bad IMHO.

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

I own the RDD-1580 with the RB1552MKII power amp, great DAC in the sense you will be very hard pressed to find equal quality for the money.

Warning, it has no volume control so make sure you are covered there either with a high quality software dithered type or with a nice preamp equivalent.

I run mine using the balanced outputs XLR .

Contrary to belief this DAC does not have a good USB implementation. The CMedia chipset sounds muddled compared to the Spdif input. I run mine from a Hiface 2 usb to spdif converter.

I own the RDD-1580 with the RB1552MKII power amp, great DAC in the sense you will be very hard pressed to find equal quality for the money.

Warning, it has no volume control so make sure you are covered there either with a high quality software dithered type or with a nice preamp equivalent.

I run mine using the balanced outputs XLR .

Contrary to belief this DAC does not have a good USB implementation. The CMedia chipset sounds muddled compared to the Spdif input. I run mine from a Hiface 2 usb to spdif converter.

Thanks for your input. I was wondering about the USB, since most of the DACs within this price range have USB much worst than SPDIF (coax or optical). Running from the converter, it matches the quality of SPDIF or not exactly on your opinion? Volume is not an issue, because it will be connected to the Marantz integrated amp.

Have you had a chance to listen to the much better USB implementation on some DACs?

--

Krzysztof Maj

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

I was looking for another quite well reviewed DAC, even here Hegel HD12 and it uses also CMedia chipset: CM6632A which is DSD capable brother of the Rotels CM6631A PCM. CMedia claiming that it has electrical noise immunity on the USB interface.

--

Krzysztof Maj

Thanks for your input. I was wondering about the USB, since most of the DACs within this price range have USB much worst than SPDIF (coax or optical). Running from the converter, it matches the quality of SPDIF or not exactly on your opinion? Volume is not an issue, because it will be connected to the Marantz integrated amp.

Have you had a chance to listen to the much better USB implementation on some DACs?

Running from the converted sounds better. A decent USB to SPDIF improves the SPDIF input of the RDD-1580 as it would most other DAC's in this range.

This DAC is a dual DAC in mono and the PCM implementation is ridiculously good for the price as Rotel went with the tried and tested 2xWolfsen WM8740 in a optimal configuration and gave it a good power supply, very safe , very solid.

Compared to the Rotel RA-12 for example, the difference is monstrous.

Yes, I have listened to much better USB implementations at Munich High-end last year but its not fair to compare example a MSB Analog DAC with this.

For me this RDD-1580 is like a very very poor mans dCS Vivaldi

Running from the converted sounds better. A decent USB to SPDIF improves the SPDIF input of the RDD-1580 as it would most other DAC's in this range.

This DAC is a dual DAC in mono and the PCM implementation is ridiculously good for the price as Rotel went with the tried and tested 2xWolfsen WM8740 in a optimal configuration and gave it a good power supply, very safe , very solid.

Compared to the Rotel RA-12 for example, the difference is monstrous.

Yes, I have listened to much better USB implementations at Munich High-end last year but its not fair to compare example a MSB Analog DAC with this.

For me this RDD-1580 is like a very very poor mans dCS Vivaldi

Thank you. Interesting that the industry is pushing the USB as an audio interface, but for consumers it means much, much higher spending to buy the DAC with good or better equal performance as the SPDIF. Why be bothered by the USB at all - don't know. Within the certain price tag, you can buy exceptional DAC, far better sounding via non-USB connection. Eh :-/

--

Krzysztof Maj

Isn't the whole point of using USB to have asynchronous input to reduce jitter? Via USB the DAC controls the data stream from the computer. Without a single clock controlling both computer and DAC SPDIF is more prone to jitter, or have I missed some new tech advancement recently?

Auralic Aries G2, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments, Sonore opticalModule (X2)

Isn't the whole point of using USB to have asynchronous input to reduce jitter? Via USB the DAC controls the data stream from the computer. Without a single clock controlling both computer and DAC SPDIF is more prone to jitter, or have I missed some new tech advancement recently?

Nope, you have not missed anything, but this is theory ONLY! Much harder to implement is within the price tag, where SPDIF sounds way better IMHO. How many DACs you can cite after the market research which have very good USB implementation at let say 1000USD? How much jitter or to top it off its variation is the threshold to be audible taking into account 1m of the coax/toslink connection?

--

Krzysztof Maj

Thank you. Interesting that the industry is pushing the USB as an audio interface, but for consumers it means much, much higher spending to buy the DAC with good or better equal performance as the SPDIF. Why be bothered by the USB at all - don't know. Within the certain price tag, you can buy exceptional DAC, far better sounding via non-USB connection. Eh :-/

Very well said, here she is singing along

image.jpg

...Why be bothered by the USB at all - don't know. Within the certain price tag, you can buy exceptional DAC, far better sounding via non-USB connection. Eh :-/

Some answers I think are convenience/familiarity ("everyone" knows what a USB connection is), the +96 you can more readily get, etc., it's ubiquity in mobile (mobile players, phones, etc.). Well implemented, there is no technical reason that I am aware of that USB is not at least the equal to SPDIF and I do think the market is certainly leaning in USB's favor. Just thoughts...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

BTW, anyone have heard of the RDD 1580 successor coming up soon from Rotel? With stunning PCM quality, since DSD to my knowledge brings (technical) benefit over the PCM starting from DSD128, not DSD64 which is pretty noisy and push you again to use USB.

--

Krzysztof Maj

BTW, anyone have heard of the RDD 1580 successor coming up soon from Rotel? With stunning PCM quality, since DSD to my knowledge brings (technical) benefit over the PCM starting from DSD128, not DSD64 which is pretty noisy and push you again to use USB.

There's been no mention of a replacement afaik. Rotel tend to announce products 2-6 months before availability so there is usually some notice.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I am not sure why one would look to Rotel for a midline DAC when there are plenty of other options by proven companies such as Schiit or iFi that specialize in digital audio.

Hello,

Question to all of you who listened or better own this DAC and can chime in to say something about it? I am looking for good PCM only-DAC with good USB implementation and good power supply with this price range and find this ROTEL DAC quite interesting. What do you think? I am aware about the reviews and besides the fact that ROTEL is saying about 128dB S/N it measures around 113dB - around 20-bits, but I think it's quite a norm with this price range and this is not so bad IMHO.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

I am not sure why one would look to Rotel for a midline DAC when there are plenty of other options by proven companies such as Schiit or iFi that specialize in digital audio.

Because it gets quite nice PCM performance and good price and they did something good with the internal PSU and dual mono Wolfson? Any contender within that price for full size DAC with quite good USB isolated input and good sound?

--

Krzysztof Maj

While I'm not debating that Schiit and iFi are the current "darlings" of mid priced DAC design ... Rotel are hardly novices at building high value digital audio products.

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

While I'm not debating that Schiit and iFi are the current "darlings" of mid priced DAC design ... Rotel are hardly novices at building high value digital audio products.

In the digital world Rotel indeed seems to be a novice, but because of the current competition they needed to stretched out themselves a bit more and produce something extraordinary to compete possibly. Just my hoping ;-)

iFi products are limited only to one/two inputs and have unmatched design to fit in the full sized audio gear on my shelves as well - besides these two I can see lots about the digital on their website.

--

Krzysztof Maj

I am not attempting to push anyone anywhere btw, and only used those two as quick examples. My point being why would one expect better out of them for the money than others that likely build more units and specialize in digital audio. Digital audio is fast paced presently, and I'd be looking at the trickle down from the front runners.

Because it gets quite nice PCM performance and good price and they did something good with the internal PSU and dual mono Wolfson? Any contender within that price for full size DAC with quite good USB isolated input and good sound?

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

I am not attempting to push anyone anywhere btw, and only used those two as quick examples. My point being why would one expect better out of them for the money than others that likely build more units and specialize in digital audio. Digital audio is fast paced presently, and I'd be looking at the trickle down from the front runners.

Sure, I understand, nothing offensive, me too just wondering to what I can get for this amount of money mostly for PCM.

--

Krzysztof Maj

Sure, I understand, nothing offensive, me too just wondering to what I can get for this amount of money mostly for PCM.

This is example of very good PCM performer with very similar internal design to the RDD-1580 ,however dual AD1955's.

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/851/851d

or a NOS DAC

http://www.metrum-acoustics.com/OctaveIIEN.html

In the digital world Rotel indeed seems to be a novice, but because of the current competition they needed to stretched out themselves a bit more and produce something extraordinary to compete possibly. Just my hoping ;-)

Well I assume by the "digital world" you mean stand alone DACs which yes they are "novices" at. Rotel do have extensive history producing well regarded CD players.

Eloise

---

This is example of very good PCM performer with very similar internal design to the RDD-1580 ,however dual AD1955's.

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/851/851d

or a NOS DAC

Metrum Acoustics

Sure, however double the price :-)

--

Krzysztof Maj

Sure, however double the price :-)

I know, difficult task to get that value for 600 bucks, especially if you want great PCM and not some DSD/PCM hybrid which is kinda okay with either.

I urge you too relook at the Metrum Octave, currently on discount.

I know, difficult task to get that value for 600 bucks, especially if you want great PCM and not some DSD/PCM hybrid which is kinda okay with either.

I urge you too relook at the Metrum Octave, currently on discount.

Where on discount to ship to EU?

--

Krzysztof Maj