IGNORED

Windows Server Core Running NAA

I just got my CAPS Zuma with Windows 2012 Server Essentials in GUI mode to run HQPlayer's NAA and am controlling it from my office computer.

I would like to run the NAA on my CAPS in core mode (have used core with the Audiophile Optimizer for some time as a music server); however, I cannot get it to autostart. It autostarts on boot up when in GUI mode, but I can't get it to do so in core.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My initial reactions to running it as an NAA in GUI mode with AO are very positive, though A/B comparisons are problematic due to the time to switch.

Thank you!

Jordan

Synology NAS -> Quadcore i7, 3.8GHz -> RoonServer -> HQPlayer (all up sampled to DSD128) -> Sonore urendu (Uptone JS2 PS) -> Lampizator Golden Gate DAC -> Valvet A4 Monoblocks -> Zu Audio Definitions Mk4

I just got my CAPS Zuma with Windows 2012 Server Essentials in GUI mode to run HQPlayer's NAA and am controlling it from my office computer.

I would like to run the NAA on my CAPS in core mode (have used core with the Audiophile Optimizer for some time as a music server); however, I cannot get it to autostart. It autostarts on boot up when in GUI mode, but I can't get it to do so in core.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My initial reactions to running it as an NAA in GUI mode with AO are very positive, though A/B comparisons are problematic due to the time to switch.

Thank you!

Jordan

Welcome to the club. I have run into the same problem I tried the autostart thing by placing it into the start folder with the same results. I tired installing it as a service with the same results. I tried with task manager adding it as task with the same results.

My recommendation until enough people ask the same (or unless someone has a solution) is to just use the command prompt of core to run the program, which is what I have settled on. I just placed the program in an easy to access directory and just type the name of the program and it starts. Since I never shut off the machine it is a minor inconvenience.

Maybe someone will have a solution BUT I have tried all the recommendations.

Command line works to start the program or use programs like Q-Dir or Total Commander to help launch - I like a script or batch file. And if using AO, put your script/batch in the AO/Tools dir since that is added to the path then it will always be found.

You could replace the default shell (cmd prompt) with NAA. You can then launch a cmd prompt if needed later on.

Welcome to the club. I have run into the same problem I tried the autostart thing by placing it into the start folder with the same results. I tired installing it as a service with the same results. I tried with task manager adding it as task with the same results.

My recommendation until enough people ask the same (or unless someone has a solution) is to just use the command prompt of core to run the program, which is what I have settled on. I just placed the program in an easy to access directory and just type the name of the program and it starts. Since I never shut off the machine it is a minor inconvenience.

Maybe someone will have a solution BUT I have tried all the recommendations.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I was heading down each of those paths and figured I'd be saved some frustrations by asking here first. I'll just start it from the command prompt until someone figures out a better solution. You're right though...not too big of a deal since I leave my server on most of the time too.

Have you had any problems with the NAA just closing without warning? It's happened to me several times today, but I was messing with a fair amount of things.

What are your thoughts on the SQ going to NAA on core?

Synology NAS -> Quadcore i7, 3.8GHz -> RoonServer -> HQPlayer (all up sampled to DSD128) -> Sonore urendu (Uptone JS2 PS) -> Lampizator Golden Gate DAC -> Valvet A4 Monoblocks -> Zu Audio Definitions Mk4

Command line works to start the program or use programs like Q-Dir or Total Commander to help launch - I like a script or batch file. And if using AO, put your script/batch in the AO/Tools dir since that is added to the path then it will always be found.

You could replace the default shell (cmd prompt) with NAA. You can then launch a cmd prompt if needed later on.

How do you replace the default shell with NAA?

Thanks. That would be great.

Thanks...how do you replace the default she'll with NAA? I know I can set HQPlayer as default she'll, but didn't realize the NAA could be set as well?

Thanks for sharing your experience. I was heading down each of those paths and figured I'd be saved some frustrations by asking here first. I'll just start it from the command prompt until someone figures out a better solution. You're right though...not too big of a deal since I leave my server on most of the time too.

Have you had any problems with the NAA just closing without warning? It's happened to me several times today, but I was messing with a fair amount of things.

What are your thoughts on the SQ going to NAA on core?

SQ is AMAZING. Now that I have Roon--->HPlayer---->NAA---->MSB DAC I couldn't be happier. My system has been relatively stable for the last 3 years the only change in my system going from an ARC REF75 to GS150 and I have had no impetus to upgrade and have loved what I have been listening to. HQPlayer has been the best upgrade money can buy. Just awesome. Love it.

It hasn't been quitting. Is your Server a 2012 R2 "trial" or purchased and validated. I know the Trial will automatically shutdown after 180 days.

SQ is AMAZING. Now that I have Roon--->HPlayer---->NAA---->MSB DAC I couldn't be happier. My system has been relatively stable for the last 3 years the only change in my system going from an ARC REF75 to GS150 and I have had no impetus to upgrade and have loved what I have been listening to. HQPlayer has been the best upgrade money can buy. Just awesome. Love it.

It hasn't been quitting. Is your Server a 2012 R2 "trial" or purchased and validated. I know the Trial will automatically shutdown after 180 days.

My server is 2012 Essentials R2 (purchased). It is a bit hit or miss for me right now. Sometimes after starting HQPlayer on my office computer, the NAA shows that it sees the Amenero asio driver, but it says something isn't recognized and only PCM is supported. I may have to restart the NAA several times before everything hooks up properly and allows me to play DSD.

I'm listening through NAA in core right now and it is sublime!! Upsampled redbook to DSD256 is shockingly good. Native DSD is better, but not by as significant degree.

My server is 2012 Essentials R2 (purchased). It is a bit hit or miss for me right now. Sometimes after starting HQPlayer on my office computer, the NAA shows that it sees the Amenero asio driver, but it says something isn't recognized and only PCM is supported. I may have to restart the NAA several times before everything hooks up properly and allows me to play DSD.

I'm listening through NAA in core right now and it is sublime!! Upsampled redbook to DSD256 is shockingly good. Native DSD is better, but not by as significant degree.

I am not using Essentials. Maybe Phil could help you out. My NAA hasn't had an issue in close to two weeks.

Every day I listen (to a system I didn't think could be any better) to HQP upsampled (for me right now to DSD 128) to DSD I am truly impressed. I am now questioning whether the method of recording is the key factor or the method of playback. Last night I listened to Clapton's Unplugged Deluxe 44/16 and was absolutely floored.

How do you replace the default shell with NAA?

Thanks. That would be great.

1. Launch regedit first:

d1jFJDT.jpg

TjTdNij.jpg

2. Click Yes button if you're prompted by UAC

275kIpD.png

3. Go to this key below:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

EUxwRra.jpg

4. Right-click Shell and then click Modify:

shoOtrn.png

5. Change explorer.exe to the FULL path of NAA and then click OK afterwards:

3sNRFmg.jpg

1. Launch regedit first:

d1jFJDT.jpg

TjTdNij.jpg

2. Click Yes button if you're prompted by UAC

275kIpD.png

3. Go to this key below:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

EUxwRra.jpg

4. Right-click Shell and then click Modify:

shoOtrn.png

5. Change explorer.exe to the FULL path of NAA and then click OK afterwards:

3sNRFmg.jpg

Thanks a lot!

Didn't know it was that straightforward. This will save me a great deal of time and frustration since my Lampy needs to be powered off after use and it will not "hook up" with the NAA if the NAA is left on and the Lampy powered up while the NAA is on.

I am not using Essentials. Maybe Phil could help you out. My NAA hasn't had an issue in close to two weeks.

Every day I listen (to a system I didn't think could be any better) to HQP upsampled (for me right now to DSD 128) to DSD I am truly impressed. I am now questioning whether the method of recording is the key factor or the method of playback. Last night I listened to Clapton's Unplugged Deluxe 44/16 and was absolutely floored.

Wow...I decided to listen to this album tonight and I had a smile on my face the entire album. Always liked the album, but running my WS2012 server in core as an NAA is a whole new experience!! Live!!

Although I can't imagine it getting better, I now wonder what a low powered NUC running a barebones Linux OS and Jussi's NAA would sound like?

Thank you!

Jordan

Try to follow this procedure published on Italian NextHardware.com (you can easily Chrome translate)

You replace Windows shell, but wait a few seconds before running networkaudiodeamon through a batch (with or without a ramdisk)