IGNORED

Expand wifi with Airport Express

I'm looking to expand my wifi with an AE and just want to make sure it will do what I want before I buy. I have an Aiport Extreme connected via my router and a Naim Uniti 2 connected via Ethernet from the extreme base. I have recently picked up a Qute 2 to put in another room without access to connect via Ethernet and the wifi signal is a bit weak so I have dropouts often. Will an Airport Express help extend the wifi signal enough to be able to run the Qute without dropouts or can I connect the Qute via Ethernet from the AE once setup in the room with the Qute? TIA

Mac Mini w/4TB external HD(minimserver)>NaimUniti 2b w/Naim Power-line>Scansonic MB 2.5>w/Naim NACA5 Speaker Cable

Auralic Aries Mini>Dynaudio XEO 3

I'm looking to expand my wifi with an AE and just want to make sure it will do what I want before I buy. I have an Aiport Extreme connected via my router and a Naim Uniti 2 connected via Ethernet from the extreme base. I have recently picked up a Qute 2 to put in another room without access to connect via Ethernet and the wifi signal is a bit weak so I have dropouts often. Will an Airport Express help extend the wifi signal enough to be able to run the Qute without dropouts or can I connect the Qute via Ethernet from the AE once setup in the room with the Qute? TIA

You can certainly extend a wireless network with the addition of an Airport Express but unfortunately you need to have a good signal in the spot you are installing the Airport Express in order to extend it. The fact you are having dropouts is not a good sign. He good news is that you can take an Ethernet out of an Airport Express once you have it somewhere that can get a decent enough signal fro your main Airport.

So, as I see it you can try a couple of things.

#1. Find an area between the two rooms that receives a good signal from the AirPort Extreme and install the Airport Express there which will then give you enough signal to reach the Qute reliably but this will cut down on speed when you wirelessly "extend" the network.

#2. If you can hardwire the Airport Express to the AirPort Extreme in a closer room your speed will not drop and you will effectively extended your wireless coverage with little performance hit.

David

You can certainly extend a wireless network with the addition of an Airport Express but unfortunately you need to have a good signal in the spot you are installing the Airport Express in order to extend it. The fact you are having dropouts is not a good sign. He good news is that you can take an Ethernet out of an Airport Express once you have it somewhere that can get a decent enough signal fro your main Airport.

So, as I see it you can try a couple of things.

#1. Find an area between the two rooms that receives a good signal from the AirPort Extreme and install the Airport Express there which will then give you enough signal to reach the Qute reliably but this will cut down on speed when you wirelessly "extend" the network.

#2. If you can hardwire the Airport Express to the AirPort Extreme in a closer room your speed will not drop and you will effectively extended your wireless coverage with little performance hit.

if I use option 2 and put the AE wired in the same room with my U2 then that may extend my wifi enough to use with the Qute?

if I use option 1 no matter where I hook it up my wireless speed is cut down so that may not work anyway?

Liz there a better option I should be looking for?

Mac Mini w/4TB external HD(minimserver)>NaimUniti 2b w/Naim Power-line>Scansonic MB 2.5>w/Naim NACA5 Speaker Cable

Auralic Aries Mini>Dynaudio XEO 3

if I use option 2 and put the AE wired in the same room with my U2 then that may extend my wifi enough to use with the Qute?

if I use option 1 no matter where I hook it up my wireless speed is cut down so that may not work anyway?

Liz there a better option I should be looking for?

Check for wireless channel interference from neighbors (google for how). I had dropouts until I changed channels. You can try powerline. I use powerline for one device and it works. If you are running 5 gHz try the 2.4 gHz. I get better range with 2.4.

chris

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear R7800 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBT->iFi xDSD->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: Squeeze Commander (DroidX) & iPeng (iPad Air); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: Sony NWZ_ZX1 & ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  Wish List: New DAC,  SBT replacement; Dream system: Linn EXACT or ATC Active or Big Tubes (KR or Nagra or Shindo or ...)

My goal is to use appliances and take home PC out of the chain...