IGNORED

Vinyl to High Res ... new options

Audio_ELF

Just saw this ... Sony PS-HX500 turntable converts vinyl to hi-res audio | What Hi-Fi?

Sony's new (shown at CES) turntable with built in double-rate DSD ADC.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Just saw this ... Sony PS-HX500 turntable converts vinyl to hi-res audio | What Hi-Fi?

Sony's new (shown at CES) turntable with built in double-rate DSD ADC.

This may be another example of the source-vs-system dichotomy. At the quoted price of "around £400", it's not likely to have anything close to a top quality suspension, arm or cartridge - so the analog output will almost certainly fall short of top tier, and a hi res version won't make the source material sound any better than it would as an mp3.

The new Technics SL1200 (often mentioned in articles about this new Sony) is "...expected to cost several thousand pounds", according to Ars Technica. If that's true, it's in an entirely different league from the £400 Sony. And it won't come with a cartridge, so you can use whatever you want (and more than double the price of the TT/arm/cartridge system if you wish). But I don't think it has an ADC, so the comparisons being made by the press seem pointless.

I'm sure there wasn't a price when I looked earlier...

A shame they aren't selling a separate DSD ADC for (say) £200 for people who already have a good turntable.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.